Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think the two people that dropped out are making a good decision. If I could go back, I would definately have gone to Boston, Tufts or Gtown. While I'm glad I got into medical school, I'm disappointed I got into Rosalind Franklin. If I had gotten straights As in Boston or Georgetown, I would definately be at a better school.

Alas, I guess I'm resigned to my fate

Members don't see this ad.

Bizolve,

I am one of the people you mentioned that chose BU MAMS over RFU. One of the main reasons is that I already live with my parents in Boston.

It was a very difficult decision to make. BU does accept 20-30 people from their program, but only after the year is completed.

However, I have heard of people getting into other MD schools with the RFU program.

Good luck everyone.

Bizolve,

I am one of the people you mentioned that chose BU MAMS over RFU. One of the main reasons is that I already live with my parents in Boston.

It was a very difficult decision to make. BU does accept 20-30 people from their program, but only after the year is completed.

However, I have heard of people getting into other MD schools with the RFU program.

Good luck everyone.

From someone who attended the program, you heard wrong. The only people that get into U.S allo med schools are ones that get accepted into Rosalind Franklin.

As I said before, the school is not well regarded. And, if i could go back I would probably have gone to Gtown, Boston or Tufts. I had a 4.0 in the program last year. I'm sure I could have easily snagged a 4.0 in Gtown or Boston and gone to highly regarded school with a strong clinical research repertoire since I am interested in that.

Members don't see this ad :)
From someone who attended the program, you heard wrong. The only people that get into U.S allo med schools are ones that get accepted into Rosalind Franklin.

As I said before, the school is not well regarded. And, if i could go back I would probably have gone to Gtown, Boston or Tufts. I had a 4.0 in the program last year. I'm sure I could have easily snagged a 4.0 in Gtown or Boston and gone to highly regarded school with a strong clinical research repertoire since I am interested in that.

Why don't you cry about it? I think a big reason BMS students don't go elsewhere is because they don't focus on other schools. I personally didn't apply anywhere else last year. There were a couple people that did get into other allos, so I don't know where you were.

Why don't you cry about it? I think a big reason BMS students don't go elsewhere is because they don't focus on other schools. I personally didn't apply anywhere else last year. There were a couple people that did get into other allos, so I don't know where you were.

Why are you acting like a nasty a##hole to everybody on this forum. I'm just merely expressing my opinion regarding the program. The program is good but the medical school blows.

Why are you acting like a nasty a##hole to everybody on this forum. I'm just merely expressing my opinion regarding the program. The program is good but the medical school blows.
Can you elaborate on why "it blows"?

What are the statistics for residency matches for their graduates?

Can you elaborate on why "it blows"?

What are the statistics for residency matches for their graduates?

Do a little more reading on SDN and you will know that CMS always has (at least) a decent match list every year. With a quick search, you will also find that bizlove1234 is a total asshat not to be taken seriously. The guy would have rather attended SGU and his main problem with CMS is the lack of a better gym. Meh.

Do a little more reading on SDN and you will know that CMS always has (at least) a decent match list every year. With a quick search, you will also find that bizlove1234 is a total asshat not to be taken seriously. The guy would have rather attended SGU and his main problem with CMS is the lack of a better gym. Meh.

I might actually be your OA next week, so you should watch yourself. Plus, I also have exams that go up to 10 years for physio and neuro, I might just not give them to you, and give them to everybody else. LOL.

The school does blow. Its in a dreadfully boring part of town. Then again, I won't be spending much time there. My parents gave me a condo in the city as a present for getting into medical school so I'll most likely be living the good life in the city next year. Also no clinical opportunities for doing research.

The thing is that the average med student that gets plastics requires six publications so its vital to have publications. If i don't get plastics I have no reason to be in medical school. I'm not in it to help people, I could care less about other human beings. The only thing i care about is making a 7 figure income, and having sex with an 18 year old model for the rest of my life. LOL. Not the same one.

I also hope that there are some fine looking hos in this BMS class. Last year was a dissapointment. Meh

I might actually be your OA next week, so you should watch yourself. Plus, I also have exams that go up to 10 years for physio and neuro, I might just not give them to you, and give them to everybody else. LOL.

The school does blow. Its in a dreadfully boring part of town. Then again, I won't be spending much time there. My parents gave me a condo in the city as a present for getting into medical school so I'll most likely be living the good life in the city next year. Also no clinical opportunities for doing research.

The thing is that the average med student that gets plastics requires six publications so its vital to have publications. If i don't get plastics I have no reason to be in medical school. I'm not in it to help people, I could care less about other human beings. The only thing i care about is making a 7 figure income, and having sex with an 18 year old model for the rest of my life. LOL. Not the same one.

We're all so impressed with how cool you sound :rolleyes: You sound a lot like john ragster. Know him by any chance?

We're all so impressed with how cool you sound :rolleyes: You sound a lot like john ragster. Know him by any chance?

Chill out man..we're acquintances in real life. We even went to a baseball game together. :)

It might be him. Looks like he joined the forums last month, about the time ragster was kicked out.

It might be him. Looks like he joined the forums last month, about the time ragster was kicked out.

Wait anybody that criticizes RFUMS is John Ragster? What the **** are you guys smoking. Plus I was one of the first few people who was accepted. I'm grateful I got in, I thank RFUMS for taking me. The 50,000 that i spent didn't obviously hurt. :)
Its like being grateful that you got married, but then realizing that your wife is one fugly bitch.

I'm sure all of you failed premeds will realize this. I used to be one of you but after I got in I am not anymore so its kinda fun making fun of you *******s.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bizlove and John Ragster are definitely not the same person.

I'm sorry you feel overqualified for this school bizlove. Haha its probably because underqualified students like me were granted admissions. hell, I might feel the same way if the tables were turned. I have heard that it is possible (not sure how plausible) to transfer schools after step I, so that might be something that you want to look into.

To address bizlov's claim about getting "stuck" at RFU, I personally know three students who went to different allopathic schools all across the country. Two of whom finished the BMS year and one who dropped the program immediately after he got in. I have to note that they had very strong pre-med CVs even without the BMS program and had very amicable personalities.

Personally I am still thrilled about being accepted into medical school. I feel like its a great priviledge, especially taking into account my undergraduate scores. I realize that rosalind franklin doesn't have the best matches, but I know that if I work decently hard, I will have solid residency options available to me. Then again I came into this school with an expectation of going into IM. If your heart is set on plastics, RFU is probably not the route you want to take, as Bizlove stated previously.

I'm sorry you feel overqualified for this school bizlove. Haha its probably because underqualified students like me were granted admissions. hell, I might feel the same way if the tables were turned. I have heard that it is possible (not sure how plausible) to transfer schools after step I, so that might be something that you want to look into.

To address bizlov's claim about getting "stuck" at RFU, I personally know three students who went to different allopathic schools all across the country. Two of whom finished the BMS year and one who dropped the program immediately after he got in. I have to note that they had very strong pre-med CVs even without the BMS program and had very amicable personalities.

Personally I am still thrilled about being accepted into medical school. I feel like its a great priviledge, especially taking into account my undergraduate scores. I realize that rosalind franklin doesn't have the best matches, but I know that if I work decently hard, I will have solid residency options available to me. Then again I came into this school with an expectation of going into IM. If your heart is set on plastics, RFU is probably not the route you want to take, as Bizlove stated previously.

Sup denjang

Are you my Korean friend from the Lone Star State. Yup, so true. tho RFUMS does have some ortho matches, one neuro match, and one plastics. But yeah, the school pretty much sucks...lol... The girls are not even that hot either in the med school. The PT chicks are pretty good looking tho....I'm looking forward to HMTD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, the interprofessional bull**** that they make us go through, will help me get a lay with a few of those girls.

Hello Bizolve,

I also had a somewhat less than stellar undergraduate record, partly because I rushed through it in three years. I just started the Georgetown SMP, but I was also accepted into the RFU BMS program.

If you are so concerned with CMS as your medical school, why don't you take some time off to improve your application to a "higher tier" medical school? I don't understand why you are "settling" for CMS. You could work and finish other graduate programs, such as the MHS at Johns Hopkins, or even a "traditional" research program...such as through the Harvard School of Public Health.

I will be glad to get into any US allopathic medical school, but your interest in plastics makes your concern over MD school reputation understandable. I think it is a valid concern.

Good luck to you, and everyone!

Hello Bizolve,

I also had a somewhat less than stellar undergraduate record, partly because I rushed through it in three years. I just started the Georgetown SMP, but I was also accepted into the RFU BMS program.

If you are so concerned with CMS as your medical school, why don't you take some time off to improve your application to a "higher tier" medical school? I don't understand why you are "settling" for CMS. You could work and finish other graduate programs, such as the MHS at Johns Hopkins, or even a "traditional" research program...such as through the Harvard School of Public Health.

I will be glad to get into any US allopathic medical school, but your interest in plastics makes your concern over MD school reputation understandable. I think it is a valid concern.

Good luck to you, and everyone!

Aww!! thanks for your concern guy!!! The problem is i am 25 years old, I need to get the ball rolling...If plastics is not in my future, so be it. If I get sick of medicine, I'll go into business or something else. But I can't keep ****ing around wasting time in school. I need to move on to the next stage of my life.

I also want to point out that msk is an asswipe in real life. I actually saw him crawl into McCormick's ass quite a few times because he happens to be on the Admissions committee

Seriously, there is no reason to brownnose, the program has been on for three years. The committee has seen all kinds of brown nosers.

ok...considering i've probably never met you and went to mccormack's office twice the entire year when nobody was there. i went to 5 classes all year, but sure. and no, I didn't go to a baseball game with you last year since i didn't go to any. how about you stop talking out of your ass and keep your head down.

on a lighter note, i know a lot of you guys are starting class on monday so i just want to wish you all the best of luck. keep chugging. you're almost there. feel free to message me if you ever need anything.

ok...considering i've probably never met you and went to mccormack's office twice the entire year when nobody was there. i went to 5 classes all year, but sure. and no, I didn't go to a baseball game with you last year since i didn't go to any. how about you stop talking out of your ass and keep your head down.

on a lighter note, i know a lot of you guys are starting class on monday so i just want to wish you all the best of luck. keep chugging. you're almost there. feel free to message me if you ever need anything.

I mistook you for someone else with the same name. But your an ******* regardless.

Good luck everybody in rocking the program. Tho, not many of you will get a 4.0 like I did

Can Someone please explain to me how it is possible to avoid the gap year by going to Rosalind Franklin?

For example if I attend the program beginning in Fall 2010 and want to attend medical school beginning Fall 2011, how is that going to be possible considering the fact that I probably won't be able to apply until the program is done?

Thank you

Can Someone please explain to me how it is possible to avoid the gap year by going to Rosalind Franklin?

For example if I attend the program beginning in Fall 2010 and want to attend medical school beginning Fall 2011, how is that going to be possible considering the fact that I probably won't be able to apply until the program is done?

Thank you

You have to be in a position where you can apply to medical school while you're in the program to avoid the gap year. So, that means having a GPA greater than a 3.0 to get into the program, and having an MCAT score. Then you apply to the program, and get in, fill out your AMCAS and the secondary for RFUMS. If you get a 3.6 GPA or greater in the program, you most likely will get into RFUMS and will start as an M1 in the Fall of 2011, with no gap year.

When do you fill out the application? While you're in the program? or before it starts?

You fill out the application to medical school the summer before you start the program, so June 2010. You should make sure you get into the special masters program before you apply. You have to apply while your in the SMP to get the guaranteed interview.

And does a 3.6=a guaranteed acceptacne or is it just a higher probability.

My UG GPA is a 3.3 but my science is only a 2.8
I havent taken the MCAT
I have some EC's but not much medically related.

I have no research or volunteering in hospitals, Will I need to get all this stuff done during the program to have a decent shot at getting into the Fall 2011 class?

And does a 3.6=a guaranteed acceptacne or is it just a higher probability.

My UG GPA is a 3.3 but my science is only a 2.8
I havent taken the MCAT
I have some EC's but not much medically related.

I have no research or volunteering in hospitals, Will I need to get all this stuff done during the program to have a decent shot at getting into the Fall 2011 class?

Check your private messages.

After only a week, I feel as though I'm really lacking motivation. Anyone with motivational tips?

After only a week, I feel as though I'm really lacking motivation. Anyone with motivational tips?

Positive motivators would be to think about how much you want to be a physician, how you're taking classes with medical students (pretty close to living the dream of being in medical school), how the material is interesting, and knowing if you work really hard, you'll get in.

Negative motivators would be to Re-read John's posts and remember that right now is when you should capitalize on the free time you have to study as much as you can for your exams. Think about how stressed you will feel the night before the test, and how much you will want more time to study. Another good motivator is remembering how much the program cost you, especially if you don't get in this year...

Positive motivators would be to think about how much you want to be a physician, how you're taking classes with medical students (pretty close to living the dream of being in medical school), how the material is interesting, and knowing if you work really hard, you'll get in.

Negative motivators would be to Re-read John's posts and remember that right now is when you should capitalize on the free time you have to study as much as you can for your exams. Think about how stressed you will feel the night before the test, and how much you will want more time to study. Another good motivator is remembering how much the program cost you, especially if you don't get in this year...

The Beatles are gay. Long live the Stones!!!!!!

If you want a real motivator, this is what you should. Hire a male prostitute, have him **** the **** out of you in the ass. Then, compare that to not getting into medical school after wasting 35,000 dollars on the program cuz thats how its going to feel if you don't get in. LMAO

Damn, I guess no one would know it better than bizlove aka John Ragster. I feel sorry for you.

Damn, I guess no one would know it better than bizlove aka John Ragster. I feel sorry for you.

They are not the same person. I know John Ragster, we're friends. He would tell me if he was posing as some one else on the internet. I hope people will post what they think of the program this year and how they're doing, otherwise this thread is dead and worthless.

Gaydiana Jones and Mr. Too ******ed:

I'm not John Ragster.

And, you guys should feel sorry for yourselves. You guys are still not in medical school. :laugh:

Gaydiana Jones and Mr. Too ******ed:

I'm not John Ragster.

And, you guys should feel sorry for yourselves. You guys are still not in medical school. :laugh:

you really shouldn't talk like that, you never know what could happen to you in med school, you're not a doctor yet...

You could fail the boards or flunk out before you even get to them or get caught cheating even though you weren't actually cheating and get kicked out.

I'm not saying any of that will happen to you but I don't think it is wise for you to mock those who are less fortunate than yourself.

P.S. Congrats on getting into med school, that is not an easy task that you have accomplished, be thankful.

ANyone know if this program has a spring start date?

Hey everyone. I read through all 6 pages of this and still had a few questions for those who have either completed (not named John Ragster) the program or are in the program.

How difficult is it to make the cutoff to get into CMS? More specifically, is it OK for a BMS'er to get B's in the major courses (neuro, biochem, etc) and A's in the fillers and get in or do you need to pull off A's in the major classes also?

I am sure that it varies but if someone could be a little more specific. I am just a little worried because consistently getting A's in med school classes seems to be very hard for any student, BMS'er or not.

Also can someone comment on my chances of at least getting into the program? I have a 3.7 overall, 28R (retook it yesterday), and a good amount of research and voluntary work.

Thanks a lot!
Looks like GPA isn't your problem, unless you did really bad in your science courses (assuming you were a pre-med major) like one too many Cs in core science classes. Even then you should be in a good position to apply for med school as long as everything else is in place. SMPs are typically for those with GPAs in 3-3.4 range and are unable to get in med school. Improve your mcat to at least 30 and if everything else is in place you shouldn't need an SMP.

I have a couple of questions/concerns

I have not taken genetics or an upper level bio but I have taken a year of Bio with labs so technically I have completed the requirement, Do I need to take genetics before I enter the program or since the program is science heavy, will i be ok?, If I do, it would have to be at C. College.

Also, What kind of MCAT score do I need to get, assuming I do well in the program?

DJtiesto,

I will have to agree with jjj23. Your GPA looks solid and your MCAT isn't that bad either. If I were you, I would save the $56k that it will cost for you to attend this program. Apply widely and early (doesn't apply to this year anymore) to both MD and DO schools. With your stats, you will be very competitive at most DO programs (again, not knocking on DO programs). If you are set on the MD route, try your state schools (given that you are not a CA resident) and some low tier schools. If no luck your first time applying, spend some money preparing for the MCAT to get above a 30 to improve your application.

To summarize and repeat, this program is only really useful for those with a sub-par GPA. If you have a solid GPA, save your money, improve your MCAT, and get into medical school.

I have a couple of questions/concerns

I have not taken genetics or an upper level bio but I have taken a year of Bio with labs so technically I have completed the requirement, Do I need to take genetics before I enter the program or since the program is science heavy, will i be ok?, If I do, it would have to be at C. College.

Also, What kind of MCAT score do I need to get, assuming I do well in the program?

Genetics and upper level bio courses will not be necessary to get into this program. A strong science background will certainly help you in this program. From day 1, you will get pounded with information and if you cannot grasp the material, it will be hell to learn the basics on your own along with trying to keep up. However, if you have completed all the pre-med pre-requisites at a decent university, I believe that you should do fine in this program.

As for the MCAT, they tell us to not worry about it. After talking to many former BMS students, I think it's safe to say that as long as you do well in the BMS program, your MCAT score doesn't really matter. I've heard of BMS students with less than 25 on the MCAT and getting into CMS. However, these students were probably straight A gunners in the BMS program. To summarize, there is no score limit that they want, but obviously the higher your score, the better. With that said, you do need an MCAT score to apply to medical school so take care of this before starting the BMS program. You do not want to be studying for your MCAT while enrolled in this program.

Hope that helps.

Hello,

I have three main questions:

I last took the MCAT in August 2006. If I apply for the BMS program 2010-11, with the hopes of getting into RFU med school entering class 2011, will my 2006 MCAT be enough? Or will I need a more recent score?

Are there other programs like this in California, where if you do very well you have a very good chance of getting into their medical school? I'm from California and would prefer to do a BMS-like program there.

Is this program a good fit for me? Please see my info below. Or should I try improving my undergraduate grades first instead?

I graduated from college a couple years ago with a double major in music and biology. I have a science GPA of 2.5 and a cumulative gpa of 3.0. My first MCAT was 28, and the second was 27. I have one publication in a pretty good basic science journal, but I'm not the first author. I am not an under-represented minority. I have >200 hours of volunteer clinical experience. I have also shadowed doctors and have an immediate family member who suffered from a major disabling illness.

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

I have three main questions:

I last took the MCAT in August 2006. If I apply for the BMS program 2010-11, with the hopes of getting into RFU med school entering class 2011, will my 2006 MCAT be enough? Or will I need a more recent score?

Are there other programs like this in California, where if you do very well you have a very good chance of getting into their medical school? I'm from California and would prefer to do a BMS-like program there.

Is this program a good fit for me? Please see my info below. Or should I try improving my undergraduate grades first instead?

I graduated from college a couple years ago with a double major in music and biology. I have a science GPA of 2.5 and a cumulative gpa of 3.0. My first MCAT was 28, and the second was 27. I have one publication in a pretty good basic science journal, but I'm not the first author. I am not an under-represented minority. I have >200 hours of volunteer clinical experience. I have also shadowed doctors and have an immediate family member who suffered from a major disabling illness.

Thanks for any help.

1. You will need to retake the MCAT. Like most schools, CMS will only take MCAT scores up to 3 years old.

2. Don't know of any similar programs in California, but considering that about 50% or more of every BMS class are from California, I am assuming that there isn't anything like the BMS program in California.

3. Seems like you would make a good applicant to the program. None of your other credentials will matter at all. Get a reasonable MCAT score and do well in the program (no C's, mostly A's), and you should have a decent shot at Chicago Medical School. At least that's my hope for this year :)

Your other credentials WILL matter....I went to their open house and talked with one of the couselors from the program and they made it clear that they do take into account volunteer experience and clinical/shadowing experience.

Hey Guys

In the BMS personal statemetns it asks to include a statemtn about the "distance learning components of the program"

Does anyone know what they mean exactly by "distance learning componenets"?

Thanks!!

Hey Guys

In the BMS personal statemetns it asks to include a statemtn about the "distance learning components of the program"

Does anyone know what they mean exactly by "distance learning componenets"?

Thanks!!

Depending on which track you enroll in, all your courses will be online only. This is what distance learning refers to. For these classes, you will not meet the instructor or ever attend a class. Instead, you will have to post on an online discussion board (think similar to forums such as SDN) and submit papers through an online dropbox. If you are currently in school or recently graduated, I'm positive that you have had similar experiences during undergrad as most schools have incorporated some online form of learning, i.e. online quizzes, posting online tutorials and lectures, etc.

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if there was any page limit to the personal statements we submit?

Thanks!