This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatosYpatos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I got my very first vet school interview coming up and I want to nail it! Has anyone been interviewed by Ross School of Veterinary Medicine within the past couple of years? What questions did they ask?

That is all =)

Members don't see this ad.

I have my interview on the 26th! Post back and lmk how it goes! Which semester are you applying for?

Has anyone interviewed/been accepted for the January 2018 semester at RUSVM? I have an interview on the 26th and want to see if anyone is applying for the same semester?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was earlier this month with Dr Schroeder. It was over Skype and super casual. She was friendly and mostly just went through my resume and asked me what Ive learned from the experiences. She asked me to compare a few and then about my freshman year GPA ‍♀️ It was about 40 mins. Know your resume well! Im applying for January. Still waiting to hear. Should be any minute now. Good luck!

My interview was earlier this month with Dr Schroeder. It was over Skype and super casual. She was friendly and mostly just went through my resume and asked me what Ive learned from the experiences. She asked me to compare a few and then about my freshman year GPA ‍♀️ It was about 40 mins. Know your resume well! Im applying for January. Still waiting to hear. Should be any minute now. Good luck!

Thanks! Post back here to let me know if you get in! Maybe we will be classmates :) or PM me

Also, how long did it take you to get the email saying you've been accepted for an interview? Mine was under an hour, I was so shocked! I'm probably reading into it too much lol

I applied for next fall and my interview was on 9/1. I haven't heard back with an acceptance or decline yet but I know they closed the school for a few days due to the hurricane so I'm not in a huge hurry.

I had an interview on Aug 24 and just got a call saying I was accepted to the Jan 2018 semester! My interview was also really chill

Reactions: 1 user
I got in!! I got an email this morning (I was supposed to get a phone call but never did). I have a few more interviews lined up so Im not sure if Ill accept yet but YAAAAY! Took about 3 weeks to hear back.

I had an interview on Aug 24 and just got a call saying I was accepted to the Jan 2018 semester! My interview was also really chill

Congrats! Hopefully we will be classmates :) I'm hoping for straight admission, it seems more obtainable since both of you guys did, I was starting to think it was too late. My interview is on Tuesday, hopefully it doesn't take too long to hear back. Any specific questions your interviewer asked?

I got in!! I got an email this morning (I was supposed to get a phone call but never did). I have a few more interviews lined up so Im not sure if Ill accept yet but YAAAAY! Took about 3 weeks to hear back.

Awesome congrats! Hopefully we will be classmates :) any specific questions I should be prepared for??

I did a skype interview with Dr Ruth Schroeder (shes not a vet). Basicaly she went over my resume and asked me what I took away from the things I did. She asked me to compare them and we talked about my study habits. She asked me about my unfortunate freshmen year grades and how I came back from them. Nothing crazy!

I did a skype interview with Dr Ruth Schroeder (shes not a vet). Basicaly she went over my resume and asked me what I took away from the things I did. She asked me to compare them and we talked about my study habits. She asked me about my unfortunate freshmen year grades and how I came back from them. Nothing crazy!

What was your reply for study habits? I wouldn't really know what to say to that. Other than the typical going over things before class and recapping later type thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha that was a tough one. I said something stupid like uhhhhh flash cards. But for real, just tell them your real study habits! I dont think its a trick question :)

Haha that was a tough one. I said something stupid like uhhhhh flash cards. But for real, just tell them your real study habits! I dont think its a trick question :)

Thanks for the help! Post back and let me know if you choose Ross, hopefully we will be classmates!

I had a skype interview on 9/1 and I still haven't heard back with a decision yet. Getting nervous o_O

I had a skype interview on 9/1 and I still haven't heard back with a decision yet. Getting nervous o_O
How was your interview? My interviewer drilled me on every bad grade I had in undergrad and acted like my current 3.7 GPA in my masters program didn't matter. She said it was a very hard interview and I did well and gave her the answers she needed to advocate for me but I left feeling so defeated. Also, how long did it take your application status to change to the under committee review?

How was your interview? My interviewer drilled me on every bad grade I had in undergrad and acted like my current 3.7 GPA in my masters program didn't matter. She said it was a very hard interview and I did well and gave her the answers she needed to advocate for me but I left feeling so defeated. Also, how long did it take your application status to change to the under committee review?
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. My undergrad GPA was 3.7 too but she didn't mention it. My interview went really well! She just asked about my undergrad experience and the research I did and how I was doing in my masters program. I didn't have any significantly bad grades or lack of experience (7000 hrs). I felt really good after the interview. It took 2 days but it is still under committee review.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. My undergrad GPA was 3.7 too but she didn't mention it. My interview went really well! She just asked about my undergrad experience and the research I did and how I was doing in my masters program. I didn't have any significantly bad grades or lack of experience (7000 hrs). I felt really good after the interview. It took 2 days but it is still under committee review.
Yeah you definitely have a better chance than me, they probably didn't mention your undergrad bc it was so high they aren't concerned about anything! I'm praying for vet prep at this point. I just got put under committee review yesterday. Let me know your outcome!

I have been accepted for fall 2018! :D AHHHHH!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
OOOHHHHH I didn't know you applied for fall, that's probably why it took so long! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! It's not my first choice but it is a huge relief to know that I'm in somewhere!

How long after you VMCAS got verified did you hear back for an interview? I got an email last month about the my application being processed by I haven't heard anything since. I know they said in the email it could take awhile for the processing to be completed

I submitted my VMCAS mid-August and I was contacted about an interview about 2 weeks afterwards.

Hey all! I am in my first semester at Ross right now and would love to answer any questions that you might have. I can even answer some questions regarding hurricanes ;)

Hey all! I am in my first semester at Ross right now and would love to answer any questions that you might have. I can even answer some questions regarding hurricanes ;)
Did you do vet prep or just start with first semester? I should be hearing back any day with the decision :) what's the best study habit you've found to work for vet school??

Did you do vet prep or just start with first semester? I should be hearing back any day with the decision :) what's the best study habit you've found to work for vet school??
Oh! That's awesome, good luck!!

I started straight into first semester! I have friends who are doing vet prep now, and friends who did vet prep last semester. I've heard nothing but good things about the program and it's ability to prepare you for future classes.

As far as studying habits: You gotta be flexible and willing to change things up depending on which class you're in. For example: microanatomy and physiology, I create an outline from the lecture-slides that "trims the fat' and sticks to the main idea of what we are studying. But for Gross anatomy, that technique doesn't work. Gross anatomy is a monster that I have yet to figure out how to get the information to really stick into my brain. Once I figure it out, I'll let you know!

Oh! That's awesome, good luck!!

I started straight into first semester! I have friends who are doing vet prep now, and friends who did vet prep last semester. I've heard nothing but good things about the program and it's ability to prepare you for future classes.

As far as studying habits: You gotta be flexible and willing to change things up depending on which class you're in. For example: microanatomy and physiology, I create an outline from the lecture-slides that "trims the fat' and sticks to the main idea of what we are studying. But for Gross anatomy, that technique doesn't work. Gross anatomy is a monster that I have yet to figure out how to get the information to really stick into my brain. Once I figure it out, I'll let you know!

As far as vet prep goes, is it more or less for students who have lower GPAs but show potential in performing well in vet school?

As far as vet prep goes, is it more or less for students who have lower GPAs but show potential in performing well in vet school?

Nope, it's not necessarily just based on GPA. I'm sure some people were accepted into vet prep because they had a lower than average GPA, but I know someone in the program that is 33 years old, has worked in an ER clinic for 10 years, but hasn't been in school for 8 years. So, Ross wanted to make sure she had the chance to get back into education smoothly.

Another person in Vet prep had an average/above average GPA, but had minimal clinical experience. So, Ross wanted to make sure she was able to get some early hands-on opportunities. Seems like the Vet prep students get to do a lot more hands-on stuff (makes me jealous).

Nope, it's not necessarily just based on GPA. I'm sure some people were accepted into vet prep because they had a lower than average GPA, but I know someone in the program that is 33 years old, has worked in an ER clinic for 10 years, but hasn't been in school for 8 years. So, Ross wanted to make sure she had the chance to get back into education smoothly.

Another person in Vet prep had an average/above average GPA, but had minimal clinical experience. So, Ross wanted to make sure she was able to get some early hands-on opportunities. Seems like the Vet prep students get to do a lot more hands-on stuff (makes me jealous).

Awesome thank you!

Hi everyone! I just had my Skype interview today with Philip Jaroslow! I can agree with others that the interview was very relaxed. Not the typical interview I was expecting (i.e. 'explain a time when you had a conflict with someone'). It was more tailored to my vet/non-vet experience, my non-traditional student status (being older), my GRE experience, and my educational development from a freshman to a senior.

One of the questions threw me for a loop: "What was the most unexpected thing you encountered in the veterinary field." I said "...euthanasia. I never experienced it until I became interested in the veterinary field." I think that answer might have hurt me???? :confused: I'm not sure what they were looking for with that one....

I'll hear back in 2-3 weeks...with good news hopefully! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email from Ruth Schroeder, I have an interview on the 7th at 5. I'm excited and nervous

I have been accepted for vet prep january 2018 :) It took 23 days after being put in committee review to hear.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I just had my Skype interview today with Philip Jaroslow! I can agree with others that the interview was very relaxed. Not the typical interview I was expecting (i.e. 'explain a time when you had a conflict with someone'). It was more tailored to my vet/non-vet experience, my non-traditional student status (being older), my GRE experience, and my educational development from a freshman to a senior.

One of the questions threw me for a loop: "What was the most unexpected thing you encountered in the veterinary field." I said "...euthanasia. I never experienced it until I became interested in the veterinary field." I think that answer might have hurt me???? :confused: I'm not sure what they were looking for with that one....

I'll hear back in 2-3 weeks...with good news hopefully! :)

Let us know how it goes, maybe we will be classmates :)

Anyone else's portals still blank with no check marks??? I submitted so long ago :(

Anyone else's portals still blank with no check marks??? I submitted so long ago :(

How do you get into the portal? I only applied through VMCAS. <---- Ignore this!! I figured it out...

It says I'm in committee review. Status date: 10/23/2017

Last edited:

How does the campus/students prep for hurricanes? definitely a big concern of mine.

Hey all! I've been accepted to the May 2018 class. Any others? Would love to connect!

Hey all! I've been accepted to the May 2018 class. Any others? Would love to connect!
When did you interview if you mind me asking? I have a friend who interviewed early October who I'm asking for congratulations!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

When did you interview if you mind me asking? I have a friend who interviewed early October who I'm asking for congratulations!!!

I interviewed in early October, like 10/2, I believe. They contacted me back within a week or so!

How does the campus/students prep for hurricanes? definitely a big concern of mine.
Hey! Before hurricane Maria, school held a "town hall" type meeting to let us students voice our concerns and ease or minds. All of the buildings on campus are built to withstand category 5 hurricanes, so many of the students who live off campus came and stayed in the lecture halls etc. The school did not want anyone to be in a dorm by themselves, so they really tried to get all of us to find a buddy to stay with for the night. I ended being in a single occupancy dorm with 7 other people... which was less than ideal lol. But the dorms are very sturdy, some people slept all the way through the storm.

I'll be in the same class as you! I'm doing vet prep in january so we will be in first semester together in may! Feel free to pm me :)