Route switch from PhD to MD late in the game. HELP PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeep&rugby21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all ! So I was originally planning on doing a PhD program (microbiology) once I graduated. I have since graduated and while I was volunteering in a hospital in my down time, I had the privilege of shadowing a doctor that has both his MD and PhD. So I was able to go and see his lab work and also shadow him clinically with patients. I have since decided to change things up and pursue an MD instead, and couldn't be more excited about this transition! I have quite a bit to ask so bear with me!!

Hence forth, I need insight on the process. Does the volunteer work I'm doing in the hospital (patient transport, mailing work, paper work, news paper/flower delivery, and other delivery services) count as clinical or community service experience? Should I look for something more?
I graduated from my Biology Human Physiology emphasis program with overall GPA of 3.65, I'm currently in line to shadow some more doctors across multiple specialties, and take the MCAT in August.
Since I wouldn't be applying for the start of this fall, I would be applying for next fall. Would a basic EMT course in between help or hinder me? Or was looking to do a masters of physiology or masters of medical science at Loyola.

Also, how does the cycle process work? like if I applied for next fall semester, would I have to apply sooner than later? or would applying next spring be enough? I'm new to all this so any and all input would be helpful!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hence forth, I need insight on the process. Does the volunteer work I'm doing in the hospital (patient transport, mailing work, paper work, news paper/flower delivery, and other delivery services) count as clinical or community service experience?

Clinical.

Should I look for something more?

Non-clinical service to show off your altruism.

I graduated from my Biology Human Physiology emphasis program with overall GPA of 3.65, I'm currently in line to shadow some more doctors across multiple specialties, and take the MCAT in August.
Since I wouldn't be applying for the start of this fall, I would be applying for next fall. Would a basic EMT course in between help or hinder me? Or was looking to do a masters of physiology or masters of medical science at Loyola.

EMTs are glorified taxi drivers. Work in hospice or with the developmentally disabled if you really want to impress us

Also, how does the cycle process work? like if I applied for next fall semester, would I have to apply sooner than later? or would applying next spring be enough? I'm new to all this so any and all input would be helpful!!

The app cycle starts in June for MD and DO. By Labor Day, it's nearly over for MD, unless you're a superstar, or a high priority candidate. For DO, the cycle goes longer, through Thanksgiving. Schools will interview into Springtime.

Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

EMTs in 911 settings are from taxi drivers, though inter facility type work would be seen as taxi driving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all ! So I was originally planning on doing a PhD program (microbiology) once I graduated. I have since graduated and while I was volunteering in a hospital in my down time, I had the privilege of shadowing a doctor that has both his MD and PhD. So I was able to go and see his lab work and also shadow him clinically with patients. I have since decided to change things up and pursue an MD instead, and couldn't be more excited about this transition! I have quite a bit to ask so bear with me!!

Hence forth, I need insight on the process. Does the volunteer work I'm doing in the hospital (patient transport, mailing work, paper work, news paper/flower delivery, and other delivery services) count as clinical or community service experience? Should I look for something more?

Ok...you need to realize that the MD app process is nothing like the PhD app process.

Those who are matriculating for Fall 2017, applied a year ago and were accepted months ago (some came off WL recently, but all applied a year ago).

Right now, it's really too late to even be considering applying for matriculation in fall of 2018....yes, the app process is THAT different. I know, a person can apply for a PhD programs literally months before matriculation. Not that way with med school.

You would really need to be ready to hit submit button today to be applying for Fall 2018 matriculation. You don't have MCAT or LORs so that's not happening...and the app is huge.

You have a lot of work to do....do you have all of your prereqs? What is your cum GPA and your science GPA (undergrad classes only)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think it should also be pointed out when you apply, matriculation is for the following fall. I read that you think it's too late for this fall and well you're right because those going into school applied June 2016, those applying this past June are for matriculation for fall 2018. The cycle goes for about a year. So take this upcoming year to get some non clinical volunteering in and apply next June for matriculation of Fall 2019

Reactions: 1 user
You need to prepare for the MCAT, likely take it after the new year. I think the new test dates come out in October. Be ready to choose a date because the earlier months book quickly and you'll want your desired testing location.

In the meantime, work on your medically related ECs, volunteering and shadowing.

Do you have your recommenders identified? They should be science profs who know you.

If you have any missing premed prereqs, take them this year.

BTW...while you may see that the app deadline for Fall 2018 is later this year, that is a joke. To get a needed interview, you need to apply in the summer. Med schools fill up their interview calendars so later apps are SOL unless you're some superstar hooked applicant.

Oh, and the MCAT is nothing like the GRE. You're going to need some serious prep for the MCAT, far beyond what you may have done for GRE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok...you need to realize that the MD app process is nothing like the PhD app process.

You have a lot of work to do....do you have all of your prereqs? What is your cum GPA and your science GPA (undergrad classes only)

I know my overall GPA is 3.65 and that was after pulling it up from a 3.34 by retaking a couple of core science courses I got Cs in and bringing them up to As. Not sure how to calc my science GPA?? But yes, I have all of my prereqs done. Fortunately enough for me, all of my course work for my major just so happened to line up with the necessary prereqs (with the exception of physics which I took for fun).

You need to prepare for the MCAT, likely take it after the new year. I think the new test dates come out in October. Be ready to choose a date because the earlier months book quickly and you'll want your desired testing location.

In the meantime, work on your medically related ECs, volunteering and shadowing.

Do you have your recommenders identified? They should be science profs who know you.

I've been prepping for the MCAT since may and I'm scheduled to take it on September 19th. I figured this would give me enough time to study for it the first time around, and should I need to take it again, I can sign up to take it again in the spring. I've thought about pushing it back to the October dates just for the extra time. I figured if I'm going to take it only once this coming fall, why not give myself as much time as possible? Thoughts on this?

Right now I have volunteering going for me at Rush in Chicago, and I'm going to apply for a volunteer position with the local hospice company near me. I'm also trying to find volunteer opportunities outside of the medical field. Shadowing I have in the books as well. I've already done 3 different specialties for a combined 20 hours and I'm working on a fourth. Research I have one semester of being on a data collection team for the SPartners program through Michigan State, and some self research projects we did through a class rather than working under a particular professor. Other than that I would say my research experience is pretty weak. Hopefully I can find a job as a med scribe or something that is just connected to the medical field. Getting a certificate for a technician position has been a thought.

As far as recommenders, I have one professor that I got sort of close with for physics when I retook the class, and then got really close with a biochem professor that only taught Biochem 1 for a semester before leaving the school. So I'm not sure if either are okay or reasonable to ask. I was super close to our premed adviser/my physics professor before his passing. I was sort of banking on him. I didn't get too close to many professors as I should have. And in order to get a board letter of recommendation from our school we have to get a competitive MCAT score. So like a 505 I think was the minimum set for that.

know my overall GPA is 3.65 and that was after pulling it up from a 3.34 by retaking a couple of core science courses I got Cs in and bringing them up to As. Not sure how to calc my science GPA??

How are you figuring the retakes. Are you removing the Cs from your calculations? Or are you including the C's and including the A's?

I've thought about pushing it back to the October dates

Please check the MCAT schedule. I don't think there are October dates nor a Sept 19th date.

Research I have one semester of being on a data collection team for the SPartners program through Michigan State, and some self research projects we did through a class rather than working under a particular professor. Other than that I would say my research experience is pretty weak.

You have minimal research experience but were planning on doing a PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP I think you need to do more research on the app cycle before you commit to applying MD. Fortunately SDN has all the information you need but you must take your time to sift them through.

You will be late for this cycle so you will submit your AMCAS summer 2018 in order to matriculate Fall 2019. The MD application process is a marathon and you must be very patient throughout. Note that this is also a very competitive process. You have thousands of applicants at each school competing for about 100 seats on average. I suggest you buy the Medical School Admission Requirement (MSAR) to see where your numbers lie.

Was a new date added? I thought the last MCAT test date was Sept 9th.

Are there now Oct dates?

Just checked the Kaplan website that has them. There are two columns for the dates the left column ends at September 9th. But the dates in the right column go all the way into october.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170715-215202.png
    Screenshot_20170715-215202.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 40
You have minimal research experience but were planning on doing a PhD?

Was going to take this year off and do research at Loyola under a couple PIs this fall. Tried to get in during the summer and start sooner but they said I could start during the fall.

Just the As. When I took the classes again it dropped out my my lower grades.

Sorry, but it won't work that way for med school app process. All of those original grades will get calculated in.

MD, and now DO schools, do not allow grade replacement.

It doesnt matter how your school calculates. For MD schools, you'll be using the AMCAS app, and all grades get recalculated.

Your GPA is really going to take a hit once those Cs are put back in.

You may think those grades "dropped out," but they only dropped out for your school's calculation. The old grades still exist and will be there on the transcript that gets sent in.

As for your question about science GPA...that will be the GPA of every bio, chem, physics and math class you've taken...including original grades AND retake grades.

Just checked the Kaplan website that has them. There are two columns for the dates the left column ends at September 9th. But the dates in the right column go all the way into october.

Oh good heavens. Did you look at the top of the columns? The left column includes the TEST dates. The right column includes when the scores are released for the tests listed in the LEFT column.

I don't understand how you could be "scheduled to take" the MCAT on Sept 19th test date when there is no Sept 19th test date. How were you able to sign up for a non-existent test date?

Sorry, but it won't work that way for med school app process. All of those original grades will get calculated in.

MD, and now DO schools, do not allow grade replacement.

It doesnt matter how your school calculates. For MD schools, you'll be using the AMCAS app, and all grades get recalculated.

Your GPA is really going to take a hit once those Cs are put back in.

You may think those grades "dropped out," but they only dropped out for your school's calculation. The old grades still exist and will be there on the transcript that gets sent in.

As for your question about science GPA...that will be the GPA of every bio, chem, physics and math class you've taken...including original grades AND retake grades.

Interesting.... well that was one minute detail I've never knew. So pretty much what you're saying is that my MCAT score better but absolutely stellar, and that the rest of my application has to really stand out.

Interesting.... well that was one minute detail I've never knew. So pretty much what you're saying is that my MCAT score better but absolutely stellar, and that the rest of my application has to really stand out.

There seems to be many minute details that you're not aware of, the app timeline, MCAT test dates, how GPAs are calculated. I'm only saying this because you need to step back, learn about the process, and then figure out when you should apply.

Oh good heavens. Did you look at the top of the columns? The left column includes the TEST dates. The right column includes when the scores are released for the tests listed in the LEFT column.

I don't understand how you could be "scheduled to take" the MCAT on Sept 19th test date when there is no Sept 19th test date. How were you able to sign up for a non-existent test date?

@jeep&rugby21 did you see the above ?

o_O Have you really officially registered for the exam yet?

Register for the MCAT Exam

I'm guessing OP hasn't officially registered yet. Otherwise, why screenshot a random Kaplan page when he could post his confirmation page with his info blurred out?