This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lodo.owl

Above all, be human.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
RVU
Home state w/immediate family close by (I live in Denver, no moving required)
$53,380.00
Founded 2006
For profit (this doesn't really make a difference to me, honestly)
Avg GPA 3.5 (according to LizzyM)

NYiT
Extended family in Syracuse though no one in NYC
$58,910.50
Founded 1977
Nonprofit
Avg GPA 3.6 (according to LizzyM)

Pre-Med freshman, so obviously am not applying anytime soon, just wanted to hear input from anyone who knows of/experienced pros/cons of these two schools in particular, as I'm currently interested in both. Family connections with RVU, though a part of me wants to go somewhere new (york)...

DO for personal reasons, was in and out of hospitals a lot growing up and the philosophy strikes a cord with me. Advising me to be MD will likely be ignored. I know of the "uphill battle."

Current GPA 3.91, and I plan to keep it above 3.8 (no job, practically no life until I start volunteering/shadowing/etc.). Any and all help for this "clueless" pre-med would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd suggest keeping your GPA high (good work so far!), getting the best MCAT score you can manage, and maintaining as many extracurriculars as you can handle while doing the first two things.

After doing all that, come back in 3-4 years to help develop a list of schools to apply to and then come back again to pick between schools once you've got multiple acceptances in hand.

I'm not saying this to be irritating btw: with the way cost of attendance can change, rotations may be added or dropped, and board performance may develop, it is difficult to advise you on what schools are better this far out. (Though to answer your question, at this point in time, RVU is the clear leader)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not saying this to be irritating btw: with the way cost of attendance can change, rotations may be added or dropped, and board performance may develop, it is difficult to advise you on what schools are better this far out. (Though to answer your question, at this point in time, RVU is the clear leader)

Thank you so much for this. That's definitely something I didn't consider, your advice means a lot!