RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know about renting, but it looks like we will be living in Colorado Springs, and I will be commuting:thumbdown:. Anyone else in the same boat? We should look into a car pool.

You might look into the FREX (front range express). Its a commuter bus that goes from Denver to Colo Sprgs and from Colo Sprgs to Denver at multiple times daily. You might have to take the bus closer to the school, but if you can work out the route, it might be better than driving it on your own everyday.

I feel for you... :(

Members don't see this ad.

HEY!!!!! Long time no chat. Did they finally let you out of your corner??? ;)

Haha, yes. Some people are sensitive to embedded Rick Rolls. Somehow, TT still gets away with it in his sig without so much as a warning. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, yes. Some people are sensitive to embedded Rick Rolls. Somehow, TT still gets away with it in his sig without so much as a warning. :smuggrin:

I love your picture! Its too bad you won't be at RVU... we could go for pedicures. :laugh:

You might look into the FREX (front range express). Its a commuter bus that goes from Denver to Colo Sprgs and from Colo Sprgs to Denver at multiple times daily. You might have to take the bus closer to the school, but if you can work out the route, it might be better than driving it on your own everyday.

I feel for you... :(

I'm definately considering it. It hopefully won't be that bad. Based on the hospital affiliations, hopefully I will be able to spend a good part of 3rd and 4th year in colorado springs.

Also, welcome back gasapple!!!

I'm definately considering it. It hopefully won't be that bad. Based on the hospital affiliations, hopefully I will be able to spend a good part of 3rd and 4th year in colorado springs.

Also, welcome back gasapple!!!

Van-Go might be an option as well. Colorado Springs to Denver would be a miserable drive to make on your own every day during the winter. When it isn't snowing, it would probably be enjoyable because the drive is gorgeous. That does suck though. Make sure you have someone that will keep a couch open for you during snowstorms!

What's up kid???? D-backs:thumbdown:...girl,I thought we were friends. I got tix for opening day!!! It's okay, you can be jealous. Hope to catch up with you Saturday. I'm sure GG and libo will be partying all night long. LOL.:laugh:

uh oh lizard... you can't laugh at me too hard after today's game. OUCH :)

Hope to see your faces tomorrow!

uh oh lizard... you can't laugh at me too hard after today's game. OUCH :)

Hope to see your faces tomorrow!

Yeah...that sucked!!! The only bright spot was how awesome the weather was. 65 and sunny. Perfect Colorado day.
Obviously, I was too ashamed to show my face last night! I had a friend in from OOT and ended up hanging elsewhere. I hope to make it next session.

Is that why you got put in the corner? That's dumb. Some people can't take a joke. I managed to Rick Roll myself multiple times and laughed everytime.
Good to see you back.

Good to see you back.

I'll second that sentiment.

By the way, that user in the other thread ("Biggest BS in DO education") is just insecure and taking his/her frustrations out. Look at all the self-promotion in that thread and past posts, surprising for a "humble" med student. Reeks of insecurity and overkill emotion. I find it's best to ignore such people in my experience because they ultimately will not succeed.

:smuggrin:
I managed to Rick Roll myself multiple times and laughed everytime. Good to see you back.

LOL :laugh: thanks!

I'll second that sentiment.

By the way, that user in the other thread ("Biggest BS in DO education") is just insecure and taking his/her frustrations out. Look at all the self-promotion in that thread and past posts, surprising for a "humble" med student. Reeks of insecurity and overkill emotion. I find it's best to ignore such people in my experience because they ultimately will not succeed.

Yea, that wanker's sly, uninformed slights were weak as well and their reading comp sucked nards, too. In his/her uber defensive posts leading up to the thread lock that user got more and more nutty - downright looney, really. I did explicitly state "cohesiveness in this forum" and "around here". You just can't debate mildly ******ed folks like that, they won't ever get it anyway. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a lot has been mentioned recently about interviews...anyone know if they're still interviewing and/or how full the class is?

Hi Guys! I wanted to say this was a great threaded discussion to follow. I interviewed at RVUCOM, and was subsequently offered admission, but I have decided to go elsewhere. I wish everyone on this list the best, and hopefully the spot I have vacated will go to one of you deserving people following this thread.

:)

Thanks, nice of you to inform those who are waiting! Best to you. :thumbup:

How was the "meet up" in Cherry Creek this past weekend - it was this past weekend, wasn't it?

How was the "meet up" in Cherry Creek this past weekend - it was this past weekend, wasn't it?

Um yeah it was great if you wanted to meet me as I was the only one that didn't check facebook to see the cancellation or just called and cancelled so when I showed up drunk and disorderly at GG's doorstep she was nice enough to try to reschedule.

Um yeah it was great if you wanted to meet me as I was the only one that didn't check facebook to see the cancellation or just called and cancelled so when I showed up drunk and disorderly at GG's doorstep she was nice enough to try to reschedule.

:laugh:

Maybe drunk... not so disorderly! ;)

We rescheduled the Happy Hour, so if you are on facebook you received an invitation. If you are an RVU-ite, but not on facebook and you want to come, PM me for the info!

Hahahahahaha.:laugh:

I can picture the sight of you banging on GG's door with a once full, frosty mug in your hand.

Hahahahahaha.:laugh:

I can picture the sight of you banging on GG's door with a once full, frosty mug in your hand.

:lol:

He spooked me actually! I was watching "I Am Legend" in my PJ's with my little dog in my lap, and there is this big, loud knocking at my door. Dottie started barking and I was scared from the movie already! I NEVER expected to see libo on the other side of the door!

No once full, frosty mug, though! :laugh:

Anyone know if RVU is still interviewing?

I ditched it in your bushes...can I get it back it still had some in the bottom? I even wore that pretty red dress I kept talking about and no one showed:(

He spooked me actually! I was watching "I Am Legend" in my PJ's with my little dog in my lap, and there is this big, loud knocking at my door. Dottie started barking and I was scared from the movie already! I NEVER expected to see libo on the other side of the door!

Hahahahaha....did you think he was coming to eat you?

Anyone know if RVU is still interviewing?

Hey Olywa...I don't know if RVU is still interviewing. The last I had heard, the class was nearly full. But from what I can tell here and on facebook, there some are holding multiple acceptances and there may be spots opening.
Good luck...hang in there.:luck:

Anyone know when the e-mail addys (not portal access) are going to be distributed? Would like to leverage the personal school e-mail for student discounts and the like...

I was interested in seeing what the campus looked like...but the pics I saw online still didnt show much. Anyone wanna tell me about it?

Anyone know when the e-mail addys (not portal access) are going to be distributed? Would like to leverage the personal school e-mail for student discounts and the like...

Not sure...I wonder if Kerri would know

If she doesn't know, she'd surely find someone who does! :thumbup:

I was just curious because it looks like the portal is linked to the school e-mail. With everyone (a large number) moving and changing from default e-mails (as seen in the profile), it might be good to get those RVUCOM addresses asap, not to mention for student software discounts and such. If anyone has this info, post please.

If she doesn't know, she'd surely find someone who does! :thumbup:

I was just curious because it looks like the portal is linked to the school e-mail. With everyone (a large number) moving and changing from default e-mails (as seen in the profile), it might be good to get those RVUCOM addresses asap, not to mention for student software discounts and such. If anyone has this info, post please.

Emailed Kerri and she said that we would get our RVU email address when we register for classes. She forgot to mention when we would register for classes, so I guess I still don't know the answer.:thumbdown:

Emailed Kerri and she said that we would get our RVU email address when we register for classes. She forgot to mention when we would register for classes, so I guess I still don't know the answer.:thumbdown:

Register? Do elaborate - does that mean at orientation you think? I haven't registered for any classes since undergrad/grad and was that ever annoying - :D I was also under the assumption we all had the same curriculum?

Anyway, I imagine I'm taking "register for classes" far to literally.
No biggie. I'll give it some time, then. :thumbup: I've just so much to do prior to starting - including a significant relocation that might require me living in campsites or under overpasses for a good amount of time :laugh: - apparently I need a very thorough "to-do" list going forward and some satellite internet connectivity.

Have no fear WhiteRabbit. We won't have to register. She was thinking about orientation. She also said, when MyVista is fully functional, we will get our RVU email addresses.
Camping out eh? That sounds like an interesting adventure. When do you hit the road for CO?

Have no fear WhiteRabbit. We won't have to register. She was thinking about orientation. She also said, when MyVista is fully functional, we will get our RVU email addresses.
Camping out eh? That sounds like an interesting adventure. When do you hit the road for CO?

Hitting the road in the next month more than likely. I'll probably go with an extended stay hotel in the area (so I don't have to deal with all the headaches of apt mgmt companies, utility transfers, and all the other stuff) instead of camping out - just until I find a house. I like camping but not sure if I'll like it that much after months of it :D... it'd be wise to get settled in before med school starts without a doubt. :thumbup:

Denver or Bust

anyone (maybe GG) have any idea HOW MANY rotations spots are available at each site? Its gonna suck if we have 30 spots at Platt Valley (level 4) and 2 spots and Swedish (level 1) or something like that...

Do not worry about the trauma level certification at your rotation site; as a med student, it's pretty much irrelevant. Platte Valley is an excellent hospital and you could learn a ton. Virtually all med students rotating in Colorado have rotated at non-level I hospitals and have had great learning experiences.

The most important questions to look at are whether the attendings (and residents, if there are any) are really into teaching, whether you are welcomed with open arms or are seen as an annoying inconvenience, and how much daily travelling across town and monthly travelling between sites you have to do.

I am very curious about the statement that there will be some 300 "residency" slots available (not rotation slots for MS3/MS4). Are they talking about creating new residency slots within Colorado? Or are these supposed to be new dually accredited slots nationwide? Or existing MD residency slots that will become dually accredited? Inquiring minds want to know.

Are they talking about creating new residency slots within Colorado? Or are these supposed to be new dually accredited slots nationwide? Or existing MD residency slots that will become dually accredited? Inquiring minds want to know.

According to Dr. Smith, they are creating 300+ new "dual" residencies "in the region", which I took to mean statewide. I've also recently come across information stating that Univ of CO is moving their students to their own teaching hospital and RVUCOM will be utilizing their former clinical rotation sites - this may also include some residency positions depending on the shift and availability. Regardless, Dr. Smith definitely did provide (directly) the details and "specialty" list for the "300 new residency positions" he and his faculty have been working to create.

Someone else from NYCOM also recently inquired as to the RVUCOM created residencies and the availability in the "Osteopathic Class" threads as well.

Meow - if you don't mind me asking, are you doing a traditional rotating year right now?

According to Dr. Smith, they are creating 300+ new "dual" residencies. I've also recently come across information stating that UofC is moving their students to the Univ of CO teaching hospital and RVUCOM will be utilizing their former clinical rotation sites - this may also include some residency positions depending on the shift and availability. Regardless, Dr. Smith definitely did provide (directly) the details and "specialty" list for the "300 new residency positions" he and his faculty have been working to create in the region.

That's interesting; I'd like to see that list.

It would be impossible for CU to accommodate all 312 MS3/MS4 students at University Hospital, so this cannot be accurate. I also think it very unlikely that they would want to give up rotation slots at Denver Health, St Joe's, P/SL, etc. If all of a sudden the hospitals wanted them to start paying for clerkship rotations, that would put them in a difficult position; we have been hearing rumors that the DO schools are willing to pay.

Remember that residency positions are entirely separate from rotation slots and they will not move together.

Nevermind, MeowMix - after some personal research, looks like you're actually Univ of CO so you probably know more about the local rotation/residency situation than I do! :thumbup:

:hardy:

It would be impossible for CU to accommodate all 312 MS3/MS4 students at University Hospital, so this cannot be accurate. I also think it very unlikely that they would want to give up rotation slots at Denver Health, St Joe's, P/SL, etc. If all of a sudden the hospitals wanted them to start paying for clerkship rotations, that would put them in a difficult position; we have been hearing rumors that the DO schools are willing to pay.

Remember that residency positions are entirely separate from rotation slots and they will not move together.

We posted simultaneously. :D

This is simply the information I've come across and I'm not privy to exact numbers - your logic seems very reasonable, tho. I didn't mean to imply all Univof CO students to Anschutz but I know a good number are being re-distributed.

Also, I don't think there's a complete list yet but it is in the offing; I'd recommend contacting Dr. Smith, perhaps.

Oh yes, and thanks - I am aware that residency positions are separate from clinical rotation slots but I was looking at it as a "chance to audition" so I usually run them more closely together for my own benefit even though they are indeed separate. :D

It'll be nice to get more information on the new Denver-area residencies without a doubt; I plan on staying in the region.

I have heard that they are pulling some students from DH, St. Joes, P/SL, etc. and positioning them at University Hospital. They still have some spots at those hospitals and the VA & Children's. RVUCOM is planning on filling those spots, and creating new spots for its students.

I have heard that they are pulling some students from DH, St. Joes, P/SL, etc. and positioning them at University Hospital. They still have some spots at those hospitals and the VA & Children's. RVUCOM is planning on filling those spots, and creating new spots for its students.

Is University Hospital the same as Anschutz?

Is University Hospital the same as Anschutz?

Yes the University of Colorado Hospital is now located on the Anschutz Medical Campus. We used to have two hospital campuses, but the old campus has shut down and all have been relocated to Anschutz. Of note, The Denver Childrens Hospital is also now located on the Anschtz Medical Campus. CUSOM, nursing school, dental school, etc are also in the process or have moved to this campus.

I am really curious about this list of 300 new residency slots.

In order to create any new residency position, the program has to apply to its accreditation agency for permission to do so. For example, the Fort Collins family medicine residency program applied for permission to expand its program by ONE additional resident per residency year, which they received. Even one is a big deal.

In addition, the hospital itself has to financially and administratively support the additional residents. This is a non-trivial process.

The amount of work involved in creating 300 NEW, dually accredited residency positions in Colorado is tremendous. There are currently only about 300 residency slots in all specialties in all of Colorado. Forgive me for being skeptical, but I really cannot believe that somehow anyone is going to double the number of residency positions available statewide in the next 4 years. Or even create 300 new positions in all of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona. The number of PGY-1 residency slots (in the NRMP match) in all specialties in the entire US has only increased by about 1050 in the past 4 years.

I have to agree with MeowMix. Residency slots have remained relatively constant throughout the US across all specialities for some time now. They have not increased to match the AAMC's mandated increase in US MD student slots. Such an increase would require a huge amount of work and funding.

Maybe this statement was misinterpreted as number of student positions?

The amount of work involved in creating 300 NEW, dually accredited residency positions in Colorado is tremendous. There are currently only about 300 residency slots in all specialties in all of Colorado. Forgive me for being skeptical, but I really cannot believe that somehow anyone is going to double the number of residency positions available statewide in the next 4 years. Or even create 300 new positions in all of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona. The number of PGY-1 residency slots (in the NRMP match) in all specialties in the entire US has only increased by about 1050 in the past 4 years.

I have to agree with MeowMix. Residency slots have remained relatively constant throughout the US across all specialities for some time now. They have not increased to match the AAMC's mandated increase in US MD student slots. Such an increase would require a huge amount of work and funding.

There's no misinterpretation of what has been communicated from Dr. Smith and skepticism is healthy, without a doubt. :thumbup: However, I don't think suggesting that Dr. Smith and his faculty aren't doing the "work" required to generate these additional residencies is a bit premature.

I think the best approach would be to contact Dr. Smith or RVUCOM faculty directly (as I've already suggested) as opposed to contradicting pre-meds in a pre-medical forum; we simply don't have all the details and this residency creation is in the works and has been for some time. I have no reason to doubt the efforts of Dr. Smith and Dr. Martin based on their combined experience and regional influence. Just my opinion. If you're both truly that interested then I'd suggest going straight to the source.

I'm not suggesting that they're not doing the work; I'm sure that they are extremely interested in having excellent opportunities available to their students and grads, and are doing everything possible to make the school extremely successful.

I'm suggesting that somehow you have picked up (and passed on) an unrealistic picture of the residency opportunities that will be available to you and other students in Colorado. My interest here is in assisting you to be clear about what you are getting into, and having realistic expectations.

Having just gone through the match with a very happy outcome, I know that as a premed I really had no idea what was involved in residency selection. It's great that you are thinking ahead and planning, because that process really should start in first year. Now we are just trying to help you understand your situation a little better.

I would not contact the Dean of your school to ask him about the truth of something that I heard online, particularly since it has no effect on me at all. It would be a waste of his time, and the information will get sorted out eventually anyway.

I'm not suggesting that they're not doing the work; I'm sure that they are extremely interested in having excellent opportunities available to their students and grads, and are doing everything possible to make the school extremely successful.

I'm suggesting that somehow you have picked up (and passed on) an unrealistic picture of the residency opportunities that will be available to you and other students in Colorado. My interest here is in assisting you to be clear about what you are getting into, and having realistic expectations.

Having just gone through the match with a very happy outcome, I know that as a premed I really had no idea what was involved in residency selection. It's great that you are thinking ahead and planning, because that process really should start in first year. Now we are just trying to help you understand your situation a little better.

I would not contact the Dean of your school to ask him about the truth of something that I heard online, particularly since it has no effect on me at all. It would be a waste of his time, and the information will get sorted out eventually anyway.

Well, Dr. Smith is the one who provided this information (it's not conjecture from my POV but if it's filtered through SDN I suppose it is) to a number of those interviewing and many are present in this forum but we don't have the detailed answers you seek.

I think the suggestion of going to Dr. Smith is wise; he's very receptive and helpful when it comes to the residency project he's working. This info with regard to residencies did not come from an "internet" forum but rather, straight from Dr. Smith for those that interviewed and they can corroborate, which is all I'm trying to do. I don't recall soliciting any feedback regarding the residency creation or an overt request that someone help with my understanding of residencies from anyone on SDN - but maybe someone else did...

It would be a waste of his time, and the information will get sorted out eventually anyway.

I agree - this will all be sorted out eventually. From my perspective as a pre-med, I am focused on the upcoming couple of years and not very interested in speculation on the creation (or lack thereof) of residency positions, especially on SDN.

There's no need to spar with intangibles, really. I'm merely providing the information from Dr. Smith as it was presented at the interview and to my interview group. Someone else may be able to substantiate my claim and looking at past posts, the info I received is the same as other interviewees.

I think this thread is for interviewees to dicuss the school. Sorry if we (or I, up to this point) couldn't help with your residency creation questions or have left you with even more questions. :D