RVUCOM-Utah under construction.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=39181775&nid=148

Personally I think this may actually be a net plus for the state of Utah. It's also the area I'm considering settling in in two years when I'm done with residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've got to ask, what's the salary to teach at one of these new schools as a staff physician?

Reactions: 1 user

Personally I think this may actually be a net plus for the state of Utah. It's also the area I'm considering settling in in two years when I'm done with residency.
I really hope they shine. I'd like to see them really perform and silence the U detractors.
I've got to ask, what's the salary to teach at one of these new schools as a staff physician?
It must depend on whether they're full time or part time, obviously. A lot of our clinical faculty, even the ones who are really heavily involved in lectures, curriculum, and even some course directors are still in practice as their full-time job. Not necessarily a bad thing. It helps provide a real-world perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went on 6 interviews this cycle, a mix of MD and DO. There was 1 student from either BYU or SUU at 5 of my 6 interviews. A few of them were married and spoke with concern about moving to a new state with their spouses and children to start school.

They'll steal a bunch of top students from the AZ and Cali DO schools. And frankly pull some of the mormon folks even away from MD schools that are far away. Family is everything in that culture, and I guarantee you it's going to be a hard choice for that young BYU grad whether to go to texas MD or get to stay in the home state.

Of all the new DO schools, this is one of the few that actually makes really good business sense. Which, make sense, haha, given RVU's for profit status. U of U is the only school and it's got a small class. It is not enough for a state of that size, not to mention one that produces so many college graduates. On top of that the U of U is really wonky on admissions. Really, really, wonky.

Out of any of the current crop 12 or so new schools coming out of nowhere, this is probably the one that will have the best match list imo.

[deleted]

Last edited:
I think the only way to stymie this ridiculousness is to ensure that undergraduates do not apply to these schools. Somebody has to draw the line somewhere. It's only a matter of time before the legislature says enough is enough and begins auditing schools.
it wouldn't be half the problem it is today if the class sizes were more appropriate (50-100). also, COCA could do away with the 8% addition above approved class sizes it allows schools, but for whatever reason they've kept it.

100 should be the absolute max for a new school, and even that is pushing it. to compound the problem, most "established" schools also have asininely large class sizes. Enrollment at schools like PCOM, AZCOM, NSU etc should probably be half their current size.

Last edited:
This is a very astute assessment. I foresee TUNCOM as taking the biggest hit. And my school, alas...we get a good crop of students from UU and BYU every year and they're good students.

But a person with stats good enough to get into a TX MD school will have other MD schools to pick and choose from.

Keep in mind that UNLV, CUNY Med and I think WaSU MD schools are opening doors by next year.

They'll steal a bunch of top students from the AZ and Cali DO schools. And frankly pull some of the mormon folks even away from MD schools that are far away. Family is everything in that culture, and I guarantee you it's going to be a hard choice for that young BYU grad whether to go to texas MD or get to stay in the home state.

Of all the new DO schools, this is one of the few that actually makes really good business sense. Which, make sense, haha, given RVU's for profit status. U of U is the only school and it's got a small class. It is not enough for a state of that size, not to mention one that produces so many college graduates. On top of that the U of U is really wonky on admissions. Really, really, wonky.

Out of any of the current crop 12 or so new schools coming out of nowhere, this is probably the one that will have the best match list imo.

But a person with stats good enough to get into a TX MD school will have other MD schools to pick and choose from.

Keep in mind that UNLV, CUNY Med and I think WaSU MD schools are opening doors by next year.

Don't forget Mayo is openeing up a new campus in Arizona. They haven't started building the building yet but are already starting to recruit students for the Fall 2017
Also, admission stats have been dropping for many TX schools. Texas and Michigan are the best states to be residents of for pre-meds. It also doesn't hurt that both states have awesome state DO schools too.

This is the first year in a long time that admissions have dropped nationwide

Don't forget Mayo is openeing up a new campus in Arizona. They haven't started building the building yet but are already starting to recruit students for the Fall 2017
Also, admission stats have been dropping for many TX schools. Texas and Michigan are the best states to be residents of for pre-meds. It also doesn't hurt that both states have awesome state DO schools too.

Meh, I would have taken an MD school over a Utah DO acceptance any day. And a lot of other LDS people at my school had options closer to home yet moved farther away to get to a more preferred school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a good number of applicants for whom family is very important. Hence, the desire to stay closer to home actually trumps the desire for the MD.

This explains why my school, being west of the Missouri river, can snag a lot of MD caliber candidates. The RVU UT school will eat into that total, alas!

Meh, I would have taken an MD school over a Utah DO acceptance any day. And a lot of other LDS people at my school had options closer to home yet moved farther away to get to a more preferred school.

It could go either way honestly, depending on the DO and MD schools one is choosing from. I'm LDS, and going to a school with a lot of young families (both LDS and non-LDS) has been valuable. Some of my LDS classmates were turned off a bit by interviews at MD schools where the interviewers looked at them askance for being young and married and having kids, and questioned whether they would be able to commit 100% to their medical education. Obviously that's not a universal experience at MD schools, but I think it's probably more common there than at a lot of DO programs.

On the interview trail pretty much every (DO) school, no matter the location, felt like 1/5 were Utah LDS interviewees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It could go either way honestly, depending on the DO and MD schools one is choosing from. I'm LDS, and going to a school with a lot of young families (both LDS and non-LDS) has been valuable. Some of my LDS classmates were turned off a bit by interviews at MD schools where the interviewers looked at them askance for being young and married and having kids, and questioned whether they would be able to commit 100% to their medical education. Obviously that's not a universal experience at MD schools, but I think it's probably more common there than at a lot of DO programs.
I'm also glad I ended up where I am, and there are quite a few LDS families here too, which is nice. I guess I just tire of the stereotype that every native Utahn is sheltered and afraid to leave for a few years. I'm sure there are some who fit that description, but myself and those I'm surrounded by do not.

I am definitely excited about this new school, and it will give some options for those who do want to stay close.

Reactions: 4 users
Talking to a bunch of people (n=15ish) that are applying this cycle and next they are all gung ho on this new school. These fools will stay in Utah come hell or high water including rather than go to out of state MD schools. I called it Utah girl disorder, characterized by extreme attachment to mommy and daddy, an intact umbilical cord, and a fear and dislike of everything foreign.

Talking to a bunch of people (n=15ish) that are applying this cycle and next they are all gung ho on this new school. These fools will stay in Utah come hell or high water including rather than go to out of state MD schools. I called it Utah girl disorder, characterized by extreme attachment to mommy and daddy, an intact umbilical cord, and a fear and dislike of everything foreign.
God I hope you are not actually pre-med, would HATE to have a colleague like you.
What an ignorant thing to say.

On the interview trail pretty much every (DO) school, no matter the location, felt like 1/5 were Utah LDS interviewees.

Apparently Utah is the number one producer of osteopathic medical students. Probably a product of only having one state school with a small class with some strange admission practices.

God I hope you are not actually pre-med, would HATE to have a colleague like you.

Uh wut? Are you from Utah? I am and I can tell you his statement is rather accurate for a not insignificant portion of the population.. And he has already been accepted so he will soon be a medical student..

Apparently Utah is the number one producer of osteopathic medical students. Probably a product of only having one state school with a small class with some strange admission practices.

Uh wut? Are you from Utah? I am and I can tell you his statement is rather accurate for a not insignificant portion of the population.. And he has already been accepted so he will soon be a medical student..
It's not unique to Utah that people want to stay close to where they are from (CA and TX are prominent examples). And outside of that fact alone, the comment in question serves no other purpose than to propogate a rather untrue stereotype, phrased in such a way that reveals the OP is either trolling, or a condescending prick. Their status as pre-med or med student is irrelevant.

rather untrue stereotype, phrased in such a way that reveal

Not to make this about the population of Utah but there is a reason this stereotype exists. As someone who has lived their entire life in Utah I can tell you I have met a very large amount of people who fit it. CA and Texas are like that for different reasons so don't pretend that Utah is like that, you and I both know the reason it is different. I guess I just read the poster's comment with much less malice than you did. Sometimes it can be exasperating with how many people think that the bubble is the GOAT. (This is my new term of the week, for some reason I get a kick out of it)

I've been away from Utah for 5 years now and in many ways I'm dying to move back; though I do have a bit of an attachment to another western state too.

For me it has far less to do with the local culture, though that is somewhat of a factor. It has so much to do with the incredible natural beauty and recreational opportunities that Utah has. Unrivaled by any other state IMO. If Utah had an ocean coastline, I have no doubt it would be the most popular state by a mile.

I can tell you that I absolutely have no love for the east coast, that's for sure. I'm literally counting the days till I can leave New England. My emotional home is out west.

Reactions: 3 users
You clearly haven't spent enough time in happy valley.

Burnetts law of SDN

I'm from STG and am pretty stoked. Hopefully it will help with the DO ignorance in Utah. Really hoping to get back there as well.