2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The process is rolling at RWJMS, as at most other schools. They had been interviewing since last summer, and started sending out decisions in the fall. There was a batch in December that included people who interviewed early enough to be included in that group. The later group included everyone after them.

Now, this is just unconfirmed speculation on my part, but, for the past 3 cycles, I have not seen anyone report being on the HPWL in December and later be told that they are in the highest priority part of the list. This leads me to believe that there are people interviewing towards the end of their interview season who they love, but cannot accept because they are already too over accepted. I think those people are told they are highest priority when the second, later batch of decisions is released in March.
Thanks so much for your detailed explanations!

Tbh based on all I’ve read so far I think I’m just going to assume this won’t result in an acceptance and move forward as a reapplicant. Perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised but who knows

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
F92FE0FA-585B-494E-816A-C0568B4AD39B.png

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just called admissions and they said they don’t expect any WL movement this cycle

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Just remember kids professionalism is a necessary virtue of medical students and physicians. But its totally cool for us to put 50-100 people on a high priority waitlist, tell some of them that their acceptance is “quite likely” and then take zero of them.

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Like dont give us false hope for months knowing that you plan to accept 0 students from the list. There is no way that they did not anticipate 0 people coming off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who are on the HPWL: for soomeone who’s too priority is RWJMS, is it worth applying ED for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are on the HPWL: for soomeone who’s too priority is RWJMS, is it worth applying ED for next cycle?
I applied last cycle and was HPWL and this cycle I applied ED and was accepted. So I’d say if you have good reasons to apply ED go for it

Still floored that they had literally zero movement. I asked the AAMC for historical data, and in 2020 they had 5,599 applicants and in 2021 they had 6424 applicants. This year, there was probably an additional increase in applicants, but surely they can just interview or accept fewer applicants after a surge of applications?

Perhaps calibrating the %interviewed and %accepted is a difficult thing, and they accidentally overshot this year. But man is that frustrating.

I was stupid enough to sign a lease in New Brunswick for the fall right across the school thinking that I would get off the waitlist because I was so high up. Let this be a lesson to all future applicants to never sign a lease no matter how high you are on a waitlist.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
I was stupid enough to sign a lease in New Brunswick for the fall right across the school thinking that I would get off the waitlist because I was so high up. Let this be a lesson to all future applicants to never sign a lease no matter how high you are on a waitlist.

How long was the lease?

Accepted off highest HPWL yesterday!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
For those that interviewed in March, when were your primaries complete?

Admissions said they dont expect any more movement this cycle and that only 1 spot has opened up so far

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Wish they could have at least sent an email considering that yesterday was the last day of the 1st week of June.

According to a source, they have already filled up and locked in the class. No waitlist movement anticipated.

So everyone in their class has already CTE?!
The thing is, most WL movement has already occurred at most schools, and it is not unusual for all, or almost all, people to be CTE everywhere by now, since deadlines have either already passed or will in the next few weeks. Of course, there will always be a few holdouts waiting until the bitter end to see if they get a call from their dream school. But that's less of a factor at a public school, where people turn down much higher ranked options due to the cost advantage.

Given the basically non-existent WL movement to date, what exactly would be expected to provoke it between today and the start of classes? Until they send you a formal notification that the class is filled and the WL is released, anything is possible, but what @drcougar21 posted is the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from everything everyone has been reporting this cycle, in addition to the pessimistic e-mails the school sent out a few weeks ago.

It really sucks that they set expectations unrealistically high with their "Highest of the HPWL" designation, in addition to the overly optimistic signals they sent to everyone on the HPWL earlier in the cycle. Maybe someone on their adcom monitors SDN, and they will stop doing that in the future. It's a selfish ploy to keep people enthusiastic and engaged, at the expense of messing with their heads when things inevitably don't work out. Most schools are either far more transparent, or don't say anything at all, as opposed to the confusing and ultimately false signals sent by this school.

Reactions: 2 users
The thing is, most WL movement has already occurred at most schools, and it is not unusual for all, or almost all, people to be CTE everywhere by now, since deadlines have either already passed or will in the next few weeks. Of course, there will always be a few holdouts waiting until the bitter end to see if they get a call from their dream school. But that's less of a factor at a public school, where people turn down much higher ranked options due to the cost advantage.

Given the basically non-existent WL movement to date, what exactly would be expected to provoke it between today and the start of classes? Until they send you a formal notification that the class is filled and the WL is released, anything is possible, but what @drcougar21 posted is the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from everything everyone has been reporting this cycle, in addition to the pessimistic e-mails the school sent out a few weeks ago.

It really sucks that they set expectations unrealistically high with their "Highest of the HPWL" designation, in addition to the overly optimistic signals they sent to everyone on the HPWL earlier in the cycle. Maybe someone on their adcom monitors SDN, and they will stop doing that in the future. It's a selfish ploy to keep people enthusiastic and engaged, at the expense of messing with their heads when things inevitably don't work out. Most schools are either far more transparent, or don't say anything at all, as opposed to the confusing and ultimately false signals sent by this school.
This was the sign I needed to start prewriting my secondaries for next admissions cycle. Thanks Knightdoc.

Reactions: 1 users
Welp, just officially got the “high” priority list denial email, still shocked that they call it that to not take anyone

• Care
“we hope this early notification helps you formulate plans for the upcoming year”

Lol

Did anyone on highest HPWL/HPWL NOT get this email? Or was this the final R for everyone?

“we hope this early notification helps you formulate plans for the upcoming year”

Lol

Did anyone on highest HPWL/HPWL NOT get this email? Or was this the final R for everyone?
Im on the highest and didn’t get that email. Matter of fact I got nothing. So still stringing along a few people till the final end I see.

Im on the highest and didn’t get that email. Matter of fact I got nothing. So still stringing along a few people till the final end I see.
Same. Honestly wish they'd just send us the R if they plan on rejecting us anyways though so I can move on. This stuff is hurting my feelings lol.

Same. Honestly wish they'd just send us the R if they plan on rejecting us anyways though so I can move on. This stuff is hurting my feelings lol.
I honestly don't think they "plan" on anything. They are not going to release the highest of the high until the very end, because you are going to be the first ones called if there are openings, and they have no way to know definitively until classes begin whether or not everyone who said they are going to attend actually will.

I've said it before, and people don't like hearing it, but if you have alternatives and want to move on, nothing is stopping you. Otherwise, while being left hanging is anoying, it costs you nothing and is actually better than the alternative.

Lol

I’m taking it as a final R.

It is looking pretty grim with this school. As others have said previously, I can confirm that people on the highest priority waitlist are being held until July 17th but only as an insurance policy. They do not expect any waitlist movement this cycle.

It is looking pretty grim with this school. As others have said previously, I can confirm that people on the highest priority waitlist are being held until July 17th but only as an insurance policy. They do not expect any waitlist movement this cycle.
So has everyone been rejected except for highest HPWL? Has anyone here who is on regular HPWL NOT received the rejection email?

I mean I still had a little bit of hope even after the HPWL rejection email, but then in my portal there was a message from the dean of admissions saying my application was no longer being considered, and in the CTE area on AMCAS where you can see your waitlisted schools, RWJ has the phrase "Application no longer under consideration" :( Not sure if there's any similar updates for people who haven't received the original rejection email though

I mean I still had a little bit of hope even after the HPWL rejection email, but then in my portal there was a message from the dean of admissions saying my application was no longer being considered, and in the CTE area on AMCAS where you can see your waitlisted schools, RWJ has the phrase "Application no longer under consideration" :( Not sure if there's any similar updates for people who haven't received the original rejection email though
Where are you seeing the message from the Dean?