2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess the real question is, how many people are placed on the HPWL then
Must be a lot. if even only 10 ppl on SDN say HPWL, it could be 100 in actuality since most ppl are not on SDN

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
My email said " rank of Highest Priority" on "High Priority Alternate List". Interviewed early March.

Looking through the 2020-2021 thread it looks like 2 people were accepted off of "highest priority" high priority list (could be more, but if there were it wasn't posted on the thread. For 2019-2020 it looks like about 5 people got off the "highest priority" high priority list. The past threads also claimed that the "highest priority" guys are top 10 ranked, my email didn't specifically list a rank like that, but I might try to call later on to see what my chances are.

Last edited:
Alright this is pure copium on my end but i am desperate. Anyone from this wave have their email content the verbiage “quite likely” in their email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright this is pure copium on my end but i am desperate. Anyone from this wave have their email content the verbiage “quite likely” in their email?
Mine says "At this point in time the Committee has voted to place your application on our high priority alternate list. Currently the class is full but it has been the experience of the Admissions Office that as accepted applicants accept other positions and withdraw from our class, we are indeed able to offer acceptances to applicants on our high priority alternate list. Such actions usually occur in the spring or early summer months."

But if someone above really got Highest Priority, then are we just ****ed?

Reactions: 1 user
Mine says "At this point in time the Committee has voted to place your application on our high priority alternate list. Currently the class is full but it has been the experience of the Admissions Office that as accepted applicants accept other positions and withdraw from our class, we are indeed able to offer acceptances to applicants on our high priority alternate list. Such actions usually occur in the spring or early summer months."

But if someone above really got Highest Priority, then are we just ****ed?
Not sure. I had a different more optimistic email but I was in the previous wave. If the last two cycles are to be believed, I wouldn’t have much hope. I’d call admissions just in case in a few days to make sure though, at least that’s my intent.

Does anybody know if RWJ accepts applicant updates and letters of interest for those on the HPWL?

Does anybody know if RWJ accepts applicant updates and letters of interest for those on the HPWL?
“We accept updates and letters of interest for those on our alternate list. Offers from the alternate list generally will not be made prior to May 1st.”

“We accept updates and letters of interest for those on our alternate list. Offers from the alternate list generally will not be made prior to May 1st.”

Whoops, should’ve used my reading glasses there. Thanks

• Haha
What is the difference between alternate list and HPWL?
So there's Highest priority, High priority, alternate. They pull people off Highest first, then High, then alternate. Apparently, last year (or the year before, not sure), only 5 people were accepted off the WL and they were all from the Highest priority

HPWL too, interviewed early march. Does anyone know how many people are accepted off of this HPWL historically? Is this a soft R?
Super sad as this was my top choice.
TBH, the regular WL is the soft R. People ARE accepted from HPWL, but how many varies widely. A few years ago there was significant movement. Not so much with COVID the last 2 years. This year is obviously TBD, but it's definitely too early to consider it a soft R, since some people will be called, and this is where they will be called from.

Edit - the "highest priority" referenced above changes things. The last 2 years, these were the only people called.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone that was placed on the High Priority WL in the first round back in December hear that they’ve been moved to the Highest Priority WL?

For those receiving HPWL, was this sent to you through email? Or did you receive a call?

Is it for certain that "high priority alternate list in the rank of highest priority" the top 10 to be accepted? Also when do you guys expect to see movement at RWJMS

Honestly will be really upset if it's like the last two years with them not getting through the top 10, especially with how optimistic their email to me was...
Yup! I'd love to see whether anyone who calls actually gets a meaningful response from them. My guess is that they won't say anything meaningful and will urge everyone to be optimistic.

My theory is the "highest priority" people are folks who would have received As earlier in the cycle, but they literally ran out of As and are afraid to be overfilled, so they jump these people to the top of the list, and let them know it, because they don't want to lose these people to early commitments elsewhere, since they are very likely to be called.

If I'm right, this would explain why they don't go back and give the designation to people who were high priority earlier in the cycle. As for everyone else, if they have "normal" movement people will still be called, but there is no way to know how many until it begins. The bad news is that the ratio of high priority to regular, and even acceptance, is so out of whack that it seems like the majority of post-II decisions are HPWL. If true, that would make the odds of receiving a call pretty low no matter how many people they call. And yeah, unfortunately, that makes regular WL a R.

Can you guys reply my message saying if you'd prefer RWJMS vs NJMS? Thanks!!!

Got HPWL notification today as someone who got competitive hold last acceptance wave. There goes that lmao

• Care
Can you guys reply my message saying if you'd prefer RWJMS vs NJMS? Thanks!!!
There's a better forum to compare one school to another, the Help me Decide forum
here's one discussion comparing those 2 schools you could join in on #1

Yup! I'd love to see whether anyone who calls actually gets a meaningful response from them. My guess is that they won't say anything meaningful and will urge everyone to be optimistic.

My theory is the "highest priority" people are folks who would have received As earlier in the cycle, but they literally ran out of As and are afraid to be overfilled, so they jump these people to the top of the list, and let them know it, because they don't want to lose these people to early commitments elsewhere, since they are very likely to be called.

If I'm right, this would explain why they don't go back and give the designation to people who were high priority earlier in the cycle. As for everyone else, if they have "normal" movement people will still be called, but there is no way to know how many until it begins. The bad news is that the ratio of high priority to regular, and even acceptance, is so out of whack that it seems like the majority of post-II decisions are HPWL. If true, that would make the odds of receiving a call pretty low no matter how many people they call. And yeah, unfortunately, that makes regular WL a R.

c6e.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
How did you infer this?
In the thread alone I counted a very rough ~11 people on the list. My veeery rough guess is that there's gotta be at least 50+ people minimum on the HPWL which is really not nice given that two years ago they only had five spots open up.

Is there a difference between HPWL and Highest Priority alternate waitlist?

How did you infer this?
From looking back at everyone who reported a decision on SDN. It's not a scientific sample, and, of course, everyone doesn't report on SDN, but it just looks like there are more post-II HPWLs than anything else (As, WLs or Rs).

Last edited:
In the thread alone I counted a very rough ~11 people on the list. My veeery rough guess is that there's gotta be at least 50+ people minimum on the HPWL which is really not nice given that two years ago they only had five spots open up.
How far back did you go? It feels like a lot more than 11 to me! In any event, far less than 20% of everyone participates and reports on SDN. My guess would be that out of around 500 interviewed there could literally be over 100 people on the HPWL.

How far back did you go? It feels like a lot more than 11 to me! In any event, far less than 20% of everyone participates and reports on SDN. My guess would be that out of around 500 interviewed there could literally be over 100 people on the HPWL.
Honestly it's a veeery conservative guess. I think 50-100 is probably correct ballpark. All will just depend on how many people get off the WL, though last year the number was 30 per MSAR iirc.

Honestly it's a veeery conservative guess. I think 50-100 is probably correct ballpark. All will just depend on how many people get off the WL, though last year the number was 30 per MSAR iirc.
Wait how did you find out that last year 30 people got off the waitlist through MSAR ?!

Sure, but this tells you nothing about the proportion of HPWL vs regular WL vs Rejected.

We have no information to infer that.

And SDN is likely biased towards HPWL because of the type of people that go on SDN.

Sure, but this tells you nothing about the proportion of HPWL vs regular WL vs Rejected.

We have no information to infer that.

And SDN is likely biased towards HPWL because of the type of people that go on SDN.
Sure. Either way, HPWL is basically the normal WL at this point though.

Do we know if applications are up this year?
Compared to what? Last year? No. Two years ago? Yes.

Why does that matter at this stage? All that matters now are IIs, which have been pretty stable throughout, and As and WLs, specifically HPWLs. It just looks like there are a ton of HPWLs, just based on what has been reported on SDN, and movement has sucked the last few cycles. Hopefully it improves this year, but nobody has any way to know one way or the other until it actually happens.

Congrats on all the acceptances!!!

Is there an accepted students group me?

Does anyone know if you choose to accept the dean's scholarship, or any other scholarship for that matter, if they take that as a commitment to enroll? The email they sent says "Please confirm your acceptance of this award, in writing via email, to this office, no later than April
--, 2022."

Don't want to have to email back and ask since that's somewhat awkward.

I was also awarded the Dean's Scholarship, and had a similar questions. It does not confirm your attendance and commitment to enroll. It just confirms that you accept the allocation of funding, if you choose to pursue your medical education at RWJMS. You can only confirm your attendance through the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool.
Does anyone know if you choose to accept the dean's scholarship, or any other scholarship for that matter, if they take that as a commitment to enroll? The email they sent says "Please confirm your acceptance of this award, in writing via email, to this office, no later than April
--, 2022."

Don't want to have to email back and ask since that's somewhat awkward.

I was also awarded the Dean's Scholarship, and had a similar questions. It does not confirm your attendance and commitment to enroll. It just confirms that you accept the allocation of funding, if you choose to pursue your medical education at RWJMS. You can only confirm your attendance through the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool.
Awesome, thanks so much! Congrats on your award! idk about you, but definitely feeling undeserving over here lol