Sackler 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks so much for your response, hopefully i will get an interview and ill be able to convince them of my genuine desires to study there. anyway, how hard do you think it is to secure an invitation for interview there?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck for everyone that has an upcoming interview!

and also... where are your interviews? Do you have to to go to New York for it?

Good luck for everyone that has an upcoming interview!

and also... where are your interviews? Do you have to to go to New York for it?

It depends on where you live. I currently reside in LA so I had mine there. I recall someone else saying they had their interview in Cleveland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called, decisions come out mid-april

I was told during my interview that decisions would be sent in March.
I called a few weeks ago and they told me early April.
You called today and they told you mid April.

I would not get too excited!!!

From what I've heard, decisions are first sent out some time before Passover since the offices/school are closed during the holiday. Passover begins April 18, so not much waiting left!

Yup, I just called and they said that first round decisions go out next week. I interviewed in mid-march so I don't know if I'm in the first round. My interview went neutral with some positive points and some low points. I really felt like it was neither positive nor negative. I ended the interview by explaining why i would be a successful medical student and why I want to attend sackler. How were other peoples sackler interview?? Im hoping for the best since im really interested in Sackler.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance letter in the mail! Has anyone else heard back yet? I'd love to get to know my future classmates.

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail! Has anyone else heard back yet? I'd love to get to know my future classmates.

Haven't heard yet. Are you in the NYC area?

Congrats! That's awesome. Hopefully mine will come soon as well

Thanks so much! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone still waiting! I hope you all hear back soon.

I'm from Cleveland btw. The letter came via FedEx this morning.

Congrats man, I just hope mine comes in soon too. I thought it would come in regular mail but they even fedexed it to you. I live very close to NYC area so hopefully I will hear good news very soon. So how was everyones interview?? Was it positive or neutral ???

Members don't see this ad :)
Im absolutely flaberghasted. Wl with 3.8 and a 33..

I just received an email telling me that I was invited to a second interview. Thoughts? This is the first time that a med school asked me to attend a second round of interviews...... Hmmmmmmm......

WL with decent stats and good LORs/ECs. Thought my interview went well. Really upset. Sackler is my #1 choice and I thought I had made a pretty good case for myself. Could the people who got in please share their stats/comments/anything else they feel may have gotten them the coveted acceptance letters? Congrats to you and good luck to the rest of us!

Sorry to those WLed.

Just curious, did they let you know by e-mail or snail mail?

To those who got word today, would you mind sharing when you interviewed? Thanks and good luck to those waitlisted.

I am extremely anxious to hear back. I applied to nearly 20 US schools and got rejected from all except from Tufts which I am WL'ed at currently. 36 3.79, decent extracurrics, LOR; positive interview. I live in tristate area so I am praying to hear back tomorrow. Interviewed Feb 1

to those waitlisted:

Dont loose hope. But more than that, if you really want to go to Sackler, don't just sit around and wait. I was waitlisted for a VERY long time and then I got in. And I honestly think that it was because I fought like hell for it. Send letters, emails, phone calls. Obviously don't annoy them and only write if you have something to say. But if you have something to say (new semester grades, new EC) use it as an opportunity to remind them how much you want to go here. You never know what can get your file to the top of the pile.

And if you have friends/relatives who are Sackler alumns, now is when you use them....

The people that have posted so far have great scores, so you never know if they are just waitlisting you to see how interested you are. A lot of people use Sackler as a backup, and its a risk for Sackler to accept people because they cannot overfill their class. So they use a waitlist so that they can pull people off of it when they see how their class is looking.

Hi All,

I received my letter of acceptance yesterday and excited about starting this fall. I am an Ex-pat living in Tel Aviv for the past 4 years with my wife. If anyone would like to get info about life, rent, the school, logistics etc. Let me know. Hope to be helpful for the people coming to Sackler this fall.

WL with decent stats and good LORs/ECs. Thought my interview went well. Really upset. Sackler is my #1 choice and I thought I had made a pretty good case for myself. Could the people who got in please share their stats/comments/anything else they feel may have gotten them the coveted acceptance letters? Congrats to you and good luck to the rest of us!

i was accepted yesterday. i'm a non traditional applicant from los angeles, interviewed on 2/2/11. 3.6, 34O, a lot of research experience and community service and years of paid employment in a non-medical career. i thought my interview went well, we just talked about why i chose medicine and why i think sackler would be a good fit for me. i also submitted several update letters after applying in october.

im not positive im going to go here (still waiting on a couple decisions) but i think the sackler match list is impressive and everyone i've met that went there said they had the best time.

So no one received any news today?? Did the waitlist decisions come in through email, I thought they only mailed it out. Seems people who interviewed in January and February are hearing news. I was interviewed in March so I might have to wait a while longer.

So no one received any news today?? Did the waitlist decisions come in through email, I thought they only mailed it out. Seems people who interviewed in January and February are hearing news. I was interviewed in March so I might have to wait a while longer.

I interviewed February 4th and still haven't heard anything

Last edited:
Interviewed in January, received email regarding waitlist. I have a feeling the next decisions won't be coming out until after passover, which starts next monday.

Interviewed in early March in NYC, and haven't heard back yet either

I interviewed on 1/17/11 and felt that my interview was very laid back and was primarily designed to determine if I could handle living in Israel and why I really wanted to become a physician. I honestly spent a large portion of my interview discussing why I genuinely wanted to study there (the vast majority of my family lives in Israel).

I also think sending in a letter of intent would help out to reiterate your interest, and although I didn't specifically send in a letter of intent, I did submit several application updates (additional grades and a grant that I received for my research) that accompanied brief letters.

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet and to those of you who are on the wl. Keep your heads up!

Hey all, I interviewed in NYC in mid-March, 3.8 GPA, 28 MCAT, haven't heard anything back yet.

For those of you who have received acceptance letters, 1st, congrats! 2nd, were they mailed to your permanent address or you local address? Thanks!

A few questions:

1) for those of you who were waitlisted, when they notify you that you have been waitlisted, do they give you any idea of where you stand (ie priority)?

ive been told that some schools will tell you where you are ranked on the waitlist.

2) Also, for those of you who have been accepted (congrats!), did you all receive your letter via fedex?

3) I'm getting the sense from reading recent threads that no one who interviewed after very early february has heard anything back, right?

thanks

Interviewed in January. Still haven't heard yet.

I applied back in January and havent even heard back regarding an interview...I am assuming I will not? I called a couple of times and they said they are "still reviewing". Why wouldnt they say flat you "we are rejecting you"? Has anyone who has applied NOT received an interview?

I applied back in January and havent even heard back regarding an interview...I am assuming I will not? I called a couple of times and they said they are "still reviewing". Why wouldnt they say flat you "we are rejecting you"? Has anyone who has applied NOT received an interview?

I was contacted for an interview about a month after being complete. I recommend that if you live close to NYC maybe a personal visit should help. If you don't, then maybe send a formal letter and an email to ask the status of your application. I think things in writing are a bit more formal. It's only fair for you to know what happened. I speak from experience since a friend had a similar experience with a US school. They kept her waiting for 5 months. She got a response only when she wrote a letter since phone calls didn't work. Good luck !!

I noticed that some of you knew who was interviewing you ahead of time. I have an interview in the NYC office next week, and they didnt give me any details about the interview...
1. should i ask who will be interviewing me, so I can get some background info on the MD?

2. should i be taking a whole day off of work for this? if my interview is at 10am, does anyone know how long it might last?

I noticed that some of you knew who was interviewing you ahead of time. I have an interview in the NYC office next week, and they didnt give me any details about the interview...

so the office is going to be open next week? i thought they were going to be closed because it was passover. So maybe there will be decisions sent out next week also?

so the office is going to be open next week? i thought they were going to be closed because it was passover. So maybe there will be decisions sent out next week also?

Passover is on Tues and Wed. I am assuming they will be open, Monday, Thursday, and Friday, as they asked me which one of those days I want to interview.

Passover is on Tues and Wed. I am assuming they will be open, Monday, Thursday, and Friday, as they asked me which one of those days I want to interview.

errr, pesach begins on monday the 18th at sundown, and lasts for one week (not just tues and wed).... and the sackler office in NYC usually closes on fridays by 11am or noon at the latest for shabbat.. if you are interviewing during pesach, you should probably be aware of this ;)

But, can anyone shed some light on

1. should i ask who will be interviewing me, so I can get some background info on the MD?

2. should i be taking a whole day off of work for this? if my interview is at 10am, does anyone know how long it might last?

Im not sure you need to ask who will be interviewing you - you should probably be prepared to answer similar types of questions from every interviewer, such as why you are interested in medicine, and why you want to study in Israel. I cant imagine that any interviewer would deviate too much from that; I don't think that by knowing their identity beforehand you would be able to glean anything substantial about their interview style (maybe some other posters on this threat might have other suggestions).

I'd say allocate at least 2 hours for your interview, then however long you thing it will take you to get changed and back to work.

Good luck, hope you do well!

I intervied in NY in mid-March and it was a fairly informal situation. The whole thing only lasted about 40 minutes. So if you live close I would not take a whole day off from work. From my experience the interview is nothing to worry about. Just why you want to study medicine, why you want to go to israel etc. Good luck :thumbup:

I interviewed in March and am waiting for a decision.

Is anyone else concerned about matching becoming more difficult for FMGs in the coming years? I'm still debating whether I'd take a Sackler acceptance or reapply to DO schools (ugh) next year....

I interviewed in March and am waiting for a decision.

Is anyone else concerned about matching becoming more difficult for FMGs in the coming years? I'm still debating whether I'd take a Sackler acceptance or reapply to DO schools (ugh) next year....

I am a first-year student at NYCOM (DO in Long Island), and was accepted to the Sackler class last year. I ultimately decided not to attend Sackler because I was afraid that matching as an FMG would only get increasingly difficult, and I felt that the competitive specialties would feel the pinch even more as more US MD students do not want to pursue primary care fields.

Also, please do not let the Sackler match fool you. There are many bright students that attend and are well accomplished with high board scores. However, from what I have heard from students in the past that have attended Sackler is that a lot of the prestigious matches in the difficult fields (i.e. surgical subspecialties) come from connections these students have through their families, etc. and are not necessarily based on merit alone (i.e. someone knowing the program director)

Those things being considered I chose to go DO b/c I knew getting a residency would not be a concern and I know that I always have the DO spots for the fields I am interested in (Radiology, Anesthesiology, and Orthopedic Surgery) to fall back on and I am not forced to enter the MD match which is exceedingly difficult for these fields. However, this is only my 2 cents. I felt that when I was making my decision I got good advice and am only seeking to provide more of the same.

At the end of the day, medicine is a job and regardless of the MD/DO difference in terms of prestige, a DO physician gets paid the same amount to do the same things as an MD. That also resonated with me as well for what its worth.

Best of luck in your decisions.

Also, please do not let the Sackler match fool you. There are many bright students that attend and are well accomplished with high board scores. However, from what I have heard from students in the past that have attended Sackler is that a lot of the prestigious matches in the difficult fields (i.e. surgical subspecialties) come from connections these students have through their families, etc. and are not necessarily based on merit alone (i.e. someone knowing the program director)

Could any 4th year or recent grads from Sackler please comment on this? I find it hard to believe that so much of Sackler's apparent success can be attributed to nepotism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that nepotism isn't a part of the field of medicine and that it doesn't factor in to some people's success, but if all Sackler students were so well connected, why are they at Sackler to begin with instead of US school where they have family connections or what not? Seems like the poster might be painting with broad strokes, although I might be wrong, which is why I would like some other people to possibly weigh in.

No one has heard any decisions yet??? Also, I might be wrong, but it seems all decisions sent so far are either acceptances or wait-lists but no one has been rejected. Does it mean that once offered an interview, very few people are rejected?? Maybe it's all my optimistic thinking.

Could any 4th year or recent grads from Sackler please comment on this? I find it hard to believe that so much of Sackler's apparent success can be attributed to nepotism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that nepotism isn't a part of the field of medicine and that it doesn't factor in to some people's success, but if all Sackler students were so well connected, why are they at Sackler to begin with instead of US school where they have family connections or what not? Seems like the poster might be painting with broad strokes, although I might be wrong, which is why I would like some other people to possibly weigh in.

My reference to any supposed nepotism only has to do with students matching into surgical subspecialty fields. Remember, that the medical school admissions process is much more closely scrutinized than the residency admissions process where being looked favorably upon by a program director or being close to a program director can make all the difference.

I was told that in the graduating class of 2010 that the best student in the class did not match into his choice even with extremely high board scores, because he was seeking to match into Orthopedic Surgery, one of the most competitive fields. However, students with strong connections to Orthopedic Surgery or to this hospital in particular did match (1-2 matched to Ortho I believe) with lower scores.

The only point I am making is that if you want to be in a ROAD specialty or a surgical subspecialty, I think it will become exceedingly difficult from Sackler. My goal was to pursue a ROAD specialty, and without strong connections (which I do not have), I felt I was in better shape choosing a DO school where there are 90+ Orthopedic Surgery and ample opportunities in the ROAD specialty fields that would not be accessible to me had I gone to Sackler. In some ways, this echoes the mentality that I felt more comfortable being a "bigger fish in a smaller pond" than what would have been my reality had I gone to Sackler.

Perhaps the best advice, granted most incoming medical students don't know what they want to do, is carefull assess what field you feel you may want to pursue. If it is a ROAD specialty or a surgical sub-specialty, think carefully and make sure to weigh your perceived risk-benefit of a US DO school and a foreign MD school (of which Sackler is arguably the best)

I spoke to the students that matched surgery this year from Sackler as well as the students that got ROAD residencies and I asked specifically if they had connections before they went into the match and they said that they did not. I think that is a pretty good indication that getting these spots is not contingent upon having previous connections. Making connections along the way is another thing....

I do not know about the student that tried to get ortho in 2010, but I know about this year....

Bottom line, if you want something bad enough, work hard and whether you go DO or MD, you will probably find a way to get it....there are many pathways, just gotta choose the one that will make you happiest along the way:)