This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenPSU

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my junior year with a cumulative GPA of 3.16 as a biology major. The maximum GPA I could finish with is just above a 3.5 and I am confident that I can pull it up to that with my academic plan. I let myself have too much fun in extracurriculars and going out on top of needing to work for pay my entire undergraduate career so far. These factors have made grades less of a priority than before. Since the end of my fourth semester, I have realized my true goals of working in military medicine. I have already gone through all of the thoughts an possibilities that I may have done too much damage to get in to medical school but I want to work towards it, anyway. My experience this summer volunteering in a clinic, learning from doctors and surgeons about their paths though a hospital internship, and getting my EMT certification has given me more drive to achieve this goal. I am shooting for the MCAT and applications next summer after my junior year. I'll go to any school that takes me so long as I reach my ultimate goal.

I'd like advice on what to put the most time into this upcoming year besides my grades which I expect to be perfect and will accept no less (I know, talk is cheap but I have faith). I will devote next summer to just the MCATs, it would be difficult to afford a gap year. I am involved in many health related clubs and campus outreach programs, I am not involved in research but have the opportunity to do research for the school's health services, and I will be EMT certified and can volunteer. The issue in the past was spreading myself too thin. I am dropping my 22 hour a week part time job.

What made successful applications stand out the most in spite of a rough early academic history? Can I try to make up for it in the upcoming two semesters? Has anyone with a similar track been successful in military medicine, specifically?

Sorry if this is similar to another post, this is my first and I would gladly scroll through recommended forums.

Members don't see this ad.