This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainhippie

Reaction score
I'm terrified. I'm in this alone, and I feel like I don't have enough community service hours!
Rural and Underserved birthplace and residence. West Virginia
Degree: Chemistry, State University
MCAT: 512
GPA: 3.68 BCPM, 4.0 AO, 3.77 Total
Clinical Volunteer: 104 hours at hospital, but counting on continuing through this fall
Non-Clinical Volunteer: 16 hours doing STEM activities for campus, 45 over three years judging as Alumni for SkillsUSA
Shadowing: 60 hours family clinic
Research: 120 hours, not curing cancer though, just profs project
Paid Employment: 2000+ hours at McDonalds and Walmart
No huge leadership roles just basic involvement with American Chemical Society Club
Applied to: WVU, Duke, Chapel Hill, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve, Brown, Wake Forest, Quinniapac, VA Commonwealth and VA Tech Carillion
I have some great essays and drew from experiences traveling to south asia to met my husband's family, and on some was able to talk about the difficulty of leaving a small town and forging my own path. But I just feel like my app is lackluster. Will they understand that having to work consumed a lot of my time??
Have I just wasted a thousand dollars applying?? Plus I'm still waiting on this doc to send my LOR and my apps are getting cold!??:(:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyway for you to gain community service hours during the cycle? (aka that you can add to secondaries or note during interviews that you are currently involved in x)
You definitely have some hours, and being a first generation student who had to work throughout college will help the schools understand why your hours are on the lower side.

You have a good application, don't worry too much, community service hours are only 1 part of your application

You should add Marshall to your application as Marshall and West Virginia are where your best chances are. You could also try these OOS schools:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
VA Tech
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm terrified. I'm in this alone, and I feel like I don't have enough community service hours!
Clinical Volunteer: 104 hours at hospital, but counting on continuing through this fall
Non-Clinical Volunteer: 16 hours doing STEM activities for campus, 45 over three years judging as Alumni for SkillsUSA
No huge leadership roles just basic involvement with American Chemical Society Club
Applied to: WVU, Duke, Chapel Hill, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve, Brown, Wake Forest, Quinniapac, VA Commonwealth and VA Tech Carillion
I have some great essays and drew from experiences traveling to south asia to met my husband's family, and on some was able to talk about the difficulty of leaving a small town and forging my own path. But I just feel like my app is lackluster. Will they understand that having to work consumed a lot of my time??
Have I just wasted a thousand dollars applying?? Plus I'm still waiting on this doc to send my LOR and my apps are getting cold!??:(:(:(:(

It's normal to feel apprehensive about med school admissions! Welcome to the club.

Was all of your employment accrued throughout college?

Reactions: 1 user
Brown and Duke were donations, as would be UNC is you're not from NC, or Va Tech if you're not from that area.

I suggest:
UCF
Hofstra
U Toledo
U IA
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.