Forum Members Scariest Story Contest đź‘»

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexj-12

Reaction score
Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

The contest will end October 31st and then the winner will be announced!

Rules:
You can tell multiple stories, but each of them will be scored separately.
Any reaction counts as a vote (i.e. the reaction doesn't need to just be a like, but can be any reaction).

Prize:
The member with the highest reaction score will get a special "contest winner" user banner, a $10 Amazon gift card, and a 3 month silver upgrade.

Good luck everybody and happy Halloween!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a true, 30 year old story. It starts even earlier. In the summer of 1986, my aunt in south Florida had a boarder living with her. My sister and I went to visit. This boarder was a gorgeous woman from Brazil. Here I am, just before my 16th birthday, and I don't even know what to think. Anyways, Marilyn, the boarder, has a friend named Manny that came over. He's a BIG, muscular guy of Cuban descent. Really nice guy.

Ok, so, flash forward 4 years. I'm in college at a military school in the mid Atlantic area. See in the news about a serial killer in Gainesville, FL. He was killing women, from the University of Florida, for a total of 4. However, there was one more victim - Manny Taboada. This guy I met 4 years prior was murdered by a serial killer.

Creepy!!

The coda is that the murderer got the needle in FL in 2006.

Reactions: 2 users
All my midterms were on the same day once.
That’s all you need, it was down right terrifying.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was working an overnight shift at a memory care facility. There's a lot of older patients and residents that come and go, but this was something I just always overlooked. The previous shift (a PM shift only, not an overnight) I had to pick up an extra patient because the person who I was initially going to be responsible for passed away. Didn't think anything of it, all I did was write in my shift report for the morning shift people. The shift was going fine and I was initially just answering call lights, but usually around 2-3 in the morning is when all the night owls finally doze off. At this time I usually go in and give everyone a fresh ice water or change my incontinent people. As I was walking past a room, room 3120 to be exact, all the lights were off except the night lamp. The bed sheets were made neatly, and there was a tag marking the housekeeping completion of full disinfection for whoever was to be admitted next. At this point I had probably walked by it a dozen times and seen nothing, but this time was different. This time I saw a man, a tall man, sitting on his bed. I'm not just talking blur of an image, I mean full facial features and dressed in the kind of night time wear old people like to don. It took me a second to process, and by the time I walked past the room, it was only then did I realize what I saw. I quickly out of instinct ran back into the room, but the lamp was off. The bathroom light was also off (which we always keep on) when I checked it. I looked under the bed expecting someone to be there, but there was no one. I turned on ALL the lights when I left so I remembered specifically which room it was. I went back to the nurse's station to ask them if it was the room the patient from yesterday died in. To my luck, it was. My heart kind of dropped for a bit, and to be completely honest I don't work overnights anymore.

Reactions: 5 users
Dear You,

Your application to the our Program has been received. After a review of the information provided on your application and your supplemental materials, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for our program. Due to the large number of superbly qualified applicants, we are unable to further consider you for admission.

We appreciate your interest in our program and wish you all the best for your future career. There was an exceptionally high level of competition for admission this cycle, and this decision was difficult. Thank you for your interest in our Program; we wish you all the best in your academic pursuits.

[Name Redacted], MD, PhD, BSN, MS, DPT, MPH, DDS, DO
Program Administrator, Medical Program
University of Medical School and Residency

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Another true story:

Woman I know trained for a marathon. Qualified for it by running another with a good enough time. She was very proud of this. She wanted her folks to be there, at the finish line. They are NOT "grizzled and debilitated", but played it up so she could get them in the stands right at the finish. They were there, cheering and happy when she finished. They then vacated the stands.

The bomb went off 4 minutes later. This was Boston, 2013.

• Wow
One day, when I was waiting for the train, I noticed a homeless man standing in a corner of the subway station, muttering to himself as people passed by. He was holding out a cup and seemed to be begging for spare change. A fat woman passed by the homeless man and I distinctly heard him say, “Pig.” Wow, I thought to myself. This homeless man is insulting people and he still expects them to give him money? Then a tall businessman went by and the homeless guy muttered, “Human.” Human? I can’t argue with that. Obviously, he was human. The next day, I arrived early at the subway station and had some time to kill, so I decided to stand close to the homeless man and listen to his strange mutterings.

A thin, haggard-looking man passed in front of him and I heard the homeless guy mutter, “Cow.” The man was much too skinny to be a cow. He looked more like a turkey or a chicken to me. A minute or so later, a fat man went by and the homeless man said, “Potato.” Potato? I was under the impression that he called all fat people “Pig."

That day at work I couldn’t stop thinking about the homeless man and his puzzling behavior. I kept trying to find some logic or pattern in what he was muttering. Perhaps he has some kind of psychic ability, I thought. Maybe he knows what these people were in a previous life. I observed the homeless man many times and began to think my theory was right. I often heard him calling people things like “Rabbit” or “Onion” or “Sheep” or “Tomato”.

One day, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to ask him what was going on. As I walked up to him, he looked at me and said “Bread.” I tossed some money into his cup and asked him if he had some kind of psychic ability. The homeless man smiled and said, “Yes, indeed. I do have a psychic ability. It is an ability I obtained years ago. But it is not what you might expect. I can’t tell the future or read minds or anything like that. The ability is merely to know the last thing somebody ate,” he said.

I laughed because I realized he was right. He said “Bread.” The last thing I had eaten for breakfast that day was toast. I walked away shaking my head. Of all the psychic abilities someone could have, that one must be the most useless.

• Haha
One day, when I was waiting for the train, I noticed a homeless man standing in a corner of the subway station, muttering to himself as people passed by. He was holding out a cup and seemed to be begging for spare change. A fat woman passed by the homeless man and I distinctly heard him say, “Pig.” Wow, I thought to myself. This homeless man is insulting people and he still expects them to give him money? Then a tall businessman went by and the homeless guy muttered, “Human.” Human? I can’t argue with that. Obviously, he was human. The next day, I arrived early at the subway station and had some time to kill, so I decided to stand close to the homeless man and listen to his strange mutterings.

A thin, haggard-looking man passed in front of him and I heard the homeless guy mutter, “Cow.” The man was much too skinny to be a cow. He looked more like a turkey or a chicken to me. A minute or so later, a fat man went by and the homeless man said, “Potato.” Potato? I was under the impression that he called all fat people “Pig."

That day at work I couldn’t stop thinking about the homeless man and his puzzling behavior. I kept trying to find some logic or pattern in what he was muttering. Perhaps he has some kind of psychic ability, I thought. Maybe he knows what these people were in a previous life. I observed the homeless man many times and began to think my theory was right. I often heard him calling people things like “Rabbit” or “Onion” or “Sheep” or “Tomato”.

One day, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to ask him what was going on. As I walked up to him, he looked at me and said “Bread.” I tossed some money into his cup and asked him if he had some kind of psychic ability. The homeless man smiled and said, “Yes, indeed. I do have a psychic ability. It is an ability I obtained years ago. But it is not what you might expect. I can’t tell the future or read minds or anything like that. The ability is merely to know the last thing somebody ate,” he said.

I laughed because I realized he was right. He said “Bread.” The last thing I had eaten for breakfast that day was toast. I walked away shaking my head. Of all the psychic abilities someone could have, that one must be the most useless.
<< I do have a psychic ability. It is an ability I obtained years ago. But it is not what you might expect. I can’t tell the future or read minds or anything like that. The ability is merely to know the last thing somebody ate,” he said.>>

<<Then a tall businessman went by and the homeless guy muttered, “Human.”>>

Wot?!?

It has been months since I slept. But you couldn’t tell by looking at me. I still smile, I still laugh. And yet, there is a tension within me. That tension caused by the same unseen entity that prevents me from entering the solace of sleep. This is not some malevolent force intending to ruin me. Its intentions are, by most accounts, good. For many people, whose life it has not yet entered, they see it as any other force of nature. But they do not recognize it’s power. For many of those who allow it to enter into their lives, they the force is at first an ally, a source of strength that drives them forward with powerful vigor, allowing to achieve feats beyond their wildest dreams.

But as the age of reckoning approaches, that same bestowed strength becomes a burden. The entity demands its host to supply it with nourishment. As the challenges mount, strength erodes. The being’s requests seem endless, and at the same time that I await the day when I am free, I relish the challenge. It defines me. I am in ways a slave and master to the beast. At its mercy as to my fate. But I am the one who chose this fate. I knew what I was getting myself into. And for everything I cannot control, there is much that I can. Learning to live with the entity has made me a better person. Sharpened me, honed me, and now, made me more resilient.

There may come a time when I may become the unseen beast. When my decisions determine the fate of others. The entity, having taught me its ways was unknowingly shaping me to be its successor. That is the natural cycle.

While I wait here pondering my fate, I realize that the beast is perhaps not so different from myself in its goals. And I wait.

Reactions: 1 user
It has been months since I slept. But you couldn’t tell by looking at me. I still smile, I still laugh. And yet, there is a tension within me. That tension caused by the same unseen entity that prevents me from entering the solace of sleep. This is not some malevolent force intending to ruin me. Its intentions are, by most accounts, good. For many people, whose life it has not yet entered, they see it as any other force of nature. But they do not recognize it’s power. For many of those who allow it to enter into their lives, they the force is at first an ally, a source of strength that drives them forward with powerful vigor, allowing to achieve feats beyond their wildest dreams.

But as the age of reckoning approaches, that same bestowed strength becomes a burden. The entity demands its host to supply it with nourishment. As the challenges mount, strength erodes. The being’s requests seem endless, and at the same time that I await the day when I am free, I relish the challenge. It defines me. I am in ways a slave and master to the beast. At its mercy as to my fate. But I am the one who chose this fate. I knew what I was getting myself into. And for everything I cannot control, there is much that I can. Learning to live with the entity has made me a better person. Sharpened me, honed me, and now, made me more resilient.

There may come a time when I may become the unseen beast. When my decisions determine the fate of others. The entity, having taught me its ways was unknowingly shaping me to be its successor. That is the natural cycle.

While I wait here pondering my fate, I realize that the beast is perhaps not so different from myself in its goals. And I wait.

One year, a clinical psychology PhD student applied for internship, got too many interviews, failed to match, got almost the same number of interviews for phase two, still didn't match, participated actively in the post-match vacancy service, and still didn't match. The student is applying again this year. Some say that if you listen carefully, you can still hear the student typing away, hoping to perfect their application so they can finally match and graduate.

The circulator dropped the entire tray of screws. all of them. the rep was extremely happy.