Forum Members Share Your Acceptance Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildWing

SDN Staff
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you lucky enough to be holding an acceptance for health professional school? If so, what advice can you share with the pre-health students coming up behind you?

Please pay it forward by sharing your reply below!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Have your MCAT and GPA ready(the higher they are, the more chance you get)
2. Start volunteering early (community and healthcare environment)
3. Think about whether you will be happy as a doctor.
4. Reapply if you have to. I was a third time applicant and I was finally accepted this year.
5. Apply broadly. Don't skip DO schools. They are more than qualified medical schools.
6. Apply early and finish your secondaries by July to August. (For TMDSAS, you really should finish everything by July)
7. Build a good relationship with your future letter of recommendation professors, doctors, or PI.
8. Start research early if you can. Publication can be a plus. I didn't get one so don't sweat if you cannot get one.
9. Get a leadership activity on something. It doesn't have to be the best one.
10. Get a hobby or something that makes you standout. Medical school looks for diverse and unique people that fit into their school values.
11. Most importantly, don't give up because you were told you are not qualified. You are qualified since you made it all the way to here. You will make it if you believe in yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
(Tips from an incoming DVM Year 1 student)

1.) don't be afraid to be raw and authentic in your supplemental essay responses. They want to see who YOU are, not who you think they want you to be.
2.) Do thorough research on where you want to apply and compare their requirements. If you're applying to 10 schools and only one requires you to take, say, an extra Ochem or Bio class...think about if you really want to put your time and effort into that extra class for just one school. (Same applies to schools that do/don't require GRE/CASPER)
3.) Start on your application as soon as it opens, it makes it way less overwhelming.
4.) Have backup options for LOR. Things happen and sometimes a LOR might Fall through a month before applications are due.
5.) Your volunteer/research/clinical experiences should reflect your interests! If you aren't interested in doing wildlife veterinary medicine, you don't have to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center JUST so you can say you've worked with exotics. It goes along with #1 but I think it helped me a lot during interviews to be passionate about all of the research/experiences I had.
6.) It's okay if you aren't sure what you want species(s) of animals you want to work with or if you think you'll change your mind later. I think it's good for the committee to see that you have goals but can also recognize that you may change your mind as you grow throughout vet school. Lots of people start in SA but expand to LA, or want to specialize in one thing but maybe end up in research.

I didn't get any interviews/acceptances my first time applying but got 2 interviews and an acceptance my second time. Don't be discouraged, y'all got this! :)

Reactions: 1 users
  1. When you're volunteering or shadowing, keep a journal to write down things that stand out to you or lessons you learn. These will be very important when it comes time to write essays.
  2. Utilize your university's pre-med advisor and the Career Services Center to look at your personal statement. Getting multiple sets of eyes on your writing is always a good idea.
  3. When studying for the MCAT, take a practice test every week or two to gauge what you need to work on. Practice tests are the best way to see where you're at. If you are able to get a score above 505, there's a really good chance that you can get into a medical school with a responsible school list.
  4. Even if you have "high stats," apply DO. You might get an early acceptance before October 15 and then you can rest easy for the rest of the cycle! The only case I would not apply DO is if you are set on something like neurosurgery or dermatology, although going to an osteopathic school does not prevent you from going into those fields.
  5. Undergrad research doesn't need to just be basic science research. Public health research is also a route you can take!
  6. I agree with a lot of Dr. Gray's podcasts and materials in terms of how to write a PS, how to write activities, and how to prepare for an MMI. After reading your primary application, I should be able to see consistent passions throughout multiple activities & essays. Others disagree but for the most part, I like what he has to say.
  7. Only apply where you can see yourself going! If you can't stand cold weather, don't apply to U Michigan just because it's a "T20" med school! Save that application fee for a school in an area where you see yourself living.
  8. Ask multiple knowledgeable people about your school list. Some of the biggest application-related mistakes include only applying to "Reach" schools and applying late. In med school, there is no safety school.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 here!
  1. Find things you love to keep you grounded -- books, movies, sports, meditation, writing, whatever
  2. Foster relationships with your instructors, supervisors, and mentors, not just for letters, but to have those connections. I cherish the relationships I have with my former instructors and they have been incredible sources of support and wisdom.
  3. Studying for the MCAT is not easy and you should find what works for you! What worked for me or your friend may not work for you.
  4. There is so much more to medicine than just the classes you take. Social determinants of health, law and policy, payment models, cultural humility, etc. Learning beyond what my hard science classes taught me has been invaluable.
  5. Ask for help if you need it, and give back when you can.
  6. Take care of yourself and learn how to take care of yourself when you're not feeling 100% (mentally, physically, spiritually). You can't pour from an empty cup!
  7. Enjoy the process, as much as you can. I was always stressed about the next thing, but I'm so grateful that I have moments to look back on with friends and laugh about them -- that I have memories to smile at.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 at a MD school here.

1. Protect your GPA at all costs. It is the hardest thing to raise once lowered and will cost you so much extra time and money trying to do so.
2. Find a mentor as quick as you can. Whether that's a physician, or a medical student. Learn from them early and take their advice to navigate.
3. Pursue a major you love. Burn out is real and it will catch up to you quick if your heart isn't in it.
4. Remember that you are a human. Take some time to enjoy your hobbies and socialize with your friends every once in a while. Time is the most elusive resource and you won't get it back.
5. Keep track of all your activities and awards! Log everything. The date and time, the location, hours, and a contact who can verify you were there. This will help you out so much when application time comes.
6. Last but not least, always remember, comparison is the thief of joy. Everyone is on a journey of their own. You are not them, and they are not you. Take it one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: 2 users