Scholarship Bargaining?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to a state school (cheap), but there's another school I'd like to go to closer to home and which is a better fit (more expensive). I already have a scholarship at the more expensive school, is it bad if I try to bargain for more and do you think I'll actually get anything out of it? I guess this applies to anyone who got in at any school.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to a state school (cheap), but there's another school I'd like to go to closer to home and which is a better fit (more expensive). I already have a scholarship at the more expensive school, is it bad if I try to bargain for more and do you think I'll actually get anything out of it? I guess this applies to anyone who got in at any school.

Nothing wrong with playing the cards you have.... EVERYTHING is negotiable!​

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the exact same situation, and I will be asking the school for more money. It's the reality. Be very polite, and honest about your situation with the other schools. They are the commodity now -- you are the buyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
My family has suggested I parlay the two scholarship offers I have received into an offer from the more expensive school that I would really like to go to. Currently determining the best course of action.

There's nothing wrong with advocating for yourself and getting your name out there for consideration. Just make sure you try to come across as genuinely interested in the program(s). Selling yourself is a bit tricky because you run the risk of sounding entitled but if you use some tact, nothing bad will come of it.

I know that certain things have certainly been done before!!

Yes, I agree with badgyalzizi that the key here is wording everything the right way and presenting yourself well. I wonder if for a situation like this, it would almost be better to send them an e-mail--that way, you aren't putting them on the spot on the telephone and they have some time to look into what they can do for you.

Just curious... how are you guys going about this?

Are you saying, "Hey, [insert school] is giving me X amount of dollars... can you offer something comparable since I am paying for my school and finances are a big consideration?"

Or are you saying, "Hey, [insert school] is offering me a considerable scholarship, and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to offset the tuition difference?"

The key here is including a dollar amount. I wonder which one would be smarter.

Give them a call/walk in and say,

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious... how are you guys going about this?

Are you saying, "Hey, [insert school] is giving me X amount of dollars... can you offer something comparable since I am paying for my school and finances are a big consideration?"

Or are you saying, "Hey, [insert school] is offering me a considerable scholarship, and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to offset the tuition difference?"

The key here is including a dollar amount. I wonder which one would be smarter.

For me, it's more like "this school has a low cost and is providing an excellent scholarship, but your school is my #1 and I was hoping to get closer to in state tuition."

Not to worry. If the terms are not satisfactory, there is a long line of contenders that would more than happy to accept an admission unconditionally.

Reactions: 3 users
Not to worry. If the terms are not satisfactory, there is a long line of contenders that would more than happy to accept an admission unconditionally.
I don't think anyone here is worried, assuming we're talking about schools we would otherwise not attend.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone here is worried, assuming we're talking about schools we would otherwise not attend.
Then why bother bargaining as if it were a bazaar?
----
Before midnight struck on December 2, we were all praying to the Almighty, Allah, Buddha and all the other Gods for an acceptance. Strangely, at 12:01, with a few acceptances under out belt, we start believing that we have become God's gift to dentistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
----
Before midnight struck on December 2, we were all praying to the Almighty, Allah, Buddha and all the other Gods for an acceptance. Strangely, at 12:01, with a few acceptances under out belt, we start believing that we have become God's gift to dentistry.
:corny::nod::thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Goodness. It isn't as if schools don't have track records of doing such things.

----
That's one way to look at it, I suppose. But I don't see it that way. We have garnered multiple acceptances. We have been chosen by multiple institutions for admission. This decision was entirely theirs. The decision to apply was ours. We were deemed most fitting, given the applicant pool. Furthermore, we were given scholarships, something that assigns a specific value for our admission. They did that, not us. We are simply testing the market. If they say no, and we cannot attend, then at least we tried. If they say yes, and we can attend, everyone wins.

Reactions: 2 users
That's one way to look at it, I suppose. But I don't see it that way. We have garnered multiple acceptances. We have been chosen by multiple institutions for admission. This decision was entirely theirs. The decision to apply was ours. We were deemed most fitting, given the applicant pool. Furthermore, we were given scholarships, something that assigns a specific value for our admission. They did that, not us. We are simply testing the market. If they say no, and we cannot attend, then at least we tried. If they say yes, and we can attend, everyone wins.

How much wiggle room do you think there is for schools? I know it's probably different for public than for private schools, but in general does anyone know?

I got a generous scholarship from a private school, about 25%, but it's still 100k more than my state school. Would it be unreasonable to ask for more (politely of course)?

How much wiggle room do you think there is for schools? I know it's probably different for public than for private schools, but in general does anyone know?

I got a generous scholarship from a private school, about 25%, but it's still 100k more than my state school. Would it be unreasonable to ask for more (politely of course)?
If you won't attend UoP otherwise, then I'd ask. ;) I'm not sure there's much wiggle room, but if you can't afford it without it then there's nothing to lose.

If you won't attend UoP otherwise, then I'd ask. ;) I'm not sure there's much wiggle room, but if you can't afford it without it then there's nothing to lose.
Yeah, it's really hard to look at a 100k difference...I guess all they can say is no, right?

Yeah, it's really hard to look at a 100k difference...I guess all they can say is no, right?
UOP will most likely say no. Getting a scholarship from them is hard enough. Really make sure you won't go there otherwise before you ask. They have a long line of people happy to take on the debt

Unless someone very high up in the school REALLY wants you this will never happen. As doc said...it's not a bazaar and there are PLENTY of students waiting to get in. If they can't get the full tuition from you, they'll get it from someone else who can also make it through dental school.

What you really need to do is apply for scholarships that already exist such as the hpsp.

Unless someone very high up in the school REALLY wants you this will never happen. As doc said...it's not a bazaar and there are PLENTY of students waiting to get in. If they can't get the full tuition from you, they'll get it from someone else who can also make it through dental school.

Had I not heard specific stories of students being able to bargain between schools about scholarships, I would also believe this to be true. However, it happens. And, seriously, the worst they can tell you is no... and then you're right back where you were.

Of course, this thread is controversial, as I knew it would be. Best of luck to all of you who are trying to do this. :) So long as you are tactful and sincere, it doesn't hurt to ask.

What you really need to do is apply for scholarships that already exist such as the hpsp.
Which is exactly why schools don't offer scholarships to begin with! Or...yeah. We know it's unlikely, but there is nothing to lose.

Many people would much rather be 300k in debt than betrothed to the armed forces for 4 years. And by many I mean virtually everybody.

Which is exactly why schools don't offer scholarships to begin with! Or...yeah. We know it's unlikely, but there is nothing to lose.

Many people would much rather be 300k in debt than betrothed to the armed forces for 4 years. And by many I mean virtually everybody.

Well not everybody.....i applied and i'd gladly take it.
Aside from all that patriotic goodness, you'll debt free when you're 31 (considering you started school when you're 22-23) while all your colleagues are still making payments and have 22 years out of their 30 year repayment plans

Well not everybody.....i applied and i'd gladly take it.
Aside from all that patriotic goodness, you'll debt free when you're 31 (considering you started school when you're 22-23) while all your colleagues are still making payments and have 22 years out of their 30 year repayment plans
Thanks, I've read about the scholarship. It's perfect and there are no drawbacks.

Well they wouldn't be getting full tuition from me anyway since I've been offered a scholarship, I just worry that even with the scholarship it might not make financial sense to go to my top choice school when I could go to my state school for 100k less (part of which is 30k difference in living expenses, since the city is more expensive)

Pshh.. If I had to pay 300k for dental school I would most definitely do 3 or 4 years in the army to get rid of that debt.

Fortunately for me, my state school will only cost me around 120k.

If you do try this route, do it very humbly. It worked for me to a certain extent, but I didn't try to force my hand. I instead talked with the admissions directors about my options and thought process and asked for advice. After good conversations, I then asked if they had already given out all scholarship money. You might be surprised what money they haven't committed yet, as 2 schools ended up bumping a small scholarship to be a bit more substantial (though I ended up at state school anyways). Go about this humbly or you will definitely rub people the wrong way.