MD School suggestions? 520, 3.94, average ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know my MCAT and GPA are fine for many top schools from looking at the MSAR, but I'm hesitant to apply to top schools like Baylor, Stanford, WUSTL, Yale, UMichigan, etc. because my ECs are only average at best. Should I bother applying to top schools like this, or stick to my Texas state schools?
ECs:
volunteering - spanish interpreting at two community health clinics. i plan to volunteer with Hospice and a residential rehab center for teenage boys during my gap year while i apply.
jobs - currently tutor little kids 10 hrs/week
worked for a summer at a cafe in south america.
research - 2 years in same lab, 1 year in a genetics lab before my current lab, no publications,
one poster presentation, honors thesis, and symposium presentation from the lab i'm currently in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know my MCAT and GPA are fine for many top schools from looking at the MSAR, but I'm hesitant to apply to top schools like Baylor, Stanford, WUSTL, Yale, UMichigan, etc. because my ECs are only average at best. Should I bother applying to top schools like this, or stick to my Texas state schools?
ECs:
volunteering - spanish interpreting at two community health clinics. i plan to volunteer with Hospice and a residential rehab center for teenage boys during my gap year while i apply.
research - 2 years in same lab, 1 year in a genetics lab before my current lab, no publications,
one poster presentation, honors thesis, and symposium presentation from the lab i'm currently in.
If you're Hispanic, you should apply to the top schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Beef up the ECs and aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
ALL TX schools

ECs:

NOT MAYO!!! I am in a similar situation (stats and all), and I applied there. They screen for ECs heavily, and I was rejected pre-II.