Schools in Texas that only take your last gpa on a repeated course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATmN 09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any school that will only take the last grade or the highest grade from a course when calculating the final gpa in Texas? I went to Uh orientation and found out that they take all the grades (repeated courses) and average them, big disadvantage for me. I think TSU in houston only take the last grade but I'm not sure. It's hard to find out this info because most of the school require you to go to an orientation for this info. Can anyone help? Thanks!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any school that will only take the last grade or the highest grade from a course when calculating the final gpa in Texas? I went to Uh orientation and found out that they take all the grades (repeated courses) and average them, big disadvantage for me. I think TSU in houston only take the last grade but I'm not sure. It's hard to find out this info because most of the school require you to go to an orientation for this info. Can anyone help? Thanks!:love:

You're looking for academic forgiveness, I believe.

USN offers this.

Edited, because you didn't include TX in your title. Nice edit.

Last edited:

USN offers this.

University of Southern Nevada?

Thanks, but I'm looking to stay in Texas. Out of state tuition will be way too much.:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe UT Austin and Texas Tech average all of your grades. Don't know about the other 2 though (A&M and the one in San Antonio)

Texas Tech is the only school that will replace a grade. They will calculate your GPA without your failing course.

However that fail is not forgotten. If you are invited for an interview, your interview will be graded on a 100 point scale. For each D you made you will lose 5 points in your interview and for each F you will lose 10. So that failed class can hurt you.

UH, UT, and TAMU will all average grades.

TSU may take the last grade but truthfully I have no idea. Didn't apply there.

Texas Tech is the only school that will replace a grade. They will calculate your GPA without your failing course.

However that fail is not forgotten. If you are invited for an interview, your interview will be graded on a 100 point scale. For each D you made you will lose 5 points in your interview and for each F you will lose 10. So that failed class can hurt you.

UH, UT, and TAMU will all average grades.

TSU may take the last grade but truthfully I have no idea. Didn't apply there.

Wow..are you serious. That's a lot of points deducted then:( do you know if this is how the grading system is? My advisor looked over my transcripts, can't believe she didn't mention that.:scared:

Wow..are you serious. That's a lot of points deducted then:( do you know if this is how the grading system is? My advisor looked over my transcripts, can't believe she didn't mention that.:scared:

Sounds sketch to me...

Last edited:
:eek: I am doomed if this is how the grading scale works! Guess I'll just check in with the university tomrrw. Thanks!

Yes, that is seriously harsh. You lose 10% of your interview score for one F. I would think that most people would be better off just averaging the grades. I wonder what they do if the bad grades are more than seven years old. Maybe you get a free pass?

USN offers this.

Edited, because you didn't include TX in your title. Nice edit.

USN's academic forgiveness doesn't exactly work like that. You have to be an older screw up like me to take advantage of that. And I bet that if most schools won't accept your old pre-reqs that they won't exactly hold them against you either even if they don't have academic forgiveness. I'm just guessing about that though. I suppose you could miss cut-offs if your old grades were horrendous.

Yes, that is seriously harsh. You lose 10% of your interview score for one F. I would think that most people would be better off just averaging the grades. I wonder what they do if the bad grades are more than seven years old. Maybe you get a free pass?

For classes older than 7 years, you probably get a pass, but you would need to retake the class. The grade forgiveness policy is really meant for people who may have messed up only a couple of times in their collegiate career.

As an example, I got a D in orgo 2 because of a family issue I had to deal with. I retook the class and made an A. It helped my GPA to replace my D with an A and in my interview I only lost 5 points which wasn't detrimental. In this situation where I only had one failing grade, the academic forgiveness policy worked to my benefit.