Schools that do not ask about all criminal convictions on their secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moe_eves

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have looked around for an answer for this in other threads and can't find anything recent enough that I find reliable. Does anyone know of medical schools (preferably in the Northeast) that do not ask about criminal convictions/charges on the secondary application? I have a violation for a disorderly conduct but it is not a felony or a misdemeanor, so I know I won't have to list it on my primary application. I feel it is in my best interest to make sure I apply to a solid number of schools who won't ask about anything more minor than a misdemeanor or a felony. If I am asked, I will certainly disclose; however, I would prefer not to disclose if I don't have to. I know this is in the allopathic section, but feel free to include DO schools too. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I'm fairly certain that it would show up on a background check. Could I really get an acceptance withdrawn for not mentioning something on a secondary that was not asked? I'm not trying to argue/debate (Adcoms would know better than I would) just trying to understand. If asked about it I would disclose all details, but I feel like listing it when it isn't even asked for would put me at a disadvantage. But you make a good point in that I shouldn't base where I apply off of who won't ask about it; that makes me seem shady/dodgy.
 
Last edited:
Regardless, thank you @LizzyM @Goro and @gonnif for responding, you guys are like rockstars on this site and I'm privileged to have input from all 3 of you on this issue