moe_eves

2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have looked around for an answer for this in other threads and can't find anything recent enough that I find reliable. Does anyone know of medical schools (preferably in the Northeast) that do not ask about criminal convictions/charges on the secondary application? I have a violation for a disorderly conduct but it is not a felony or a misdemeanor, so I know I won't have to list it on my primary application. I feel it is in my best interest to make sure I apply to a solid number of schools who won't ask about anything more minor than a misdemeanor or a felony. If I am asked, I will certainly disclose; however, I would prefer not to disclose if I don't have to. I know this is in the allopathic section, but feel free to include DO schools too. Thanks!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This is a borderline issue. While it is only a violation, it may show up on the background check. That would would put you in the awkward situation of having been accepted but now having to explain this issue pre-matriculation. There is a remote (I said remote) possibility it could get your acceptance withdrawn. The flip side is simply noting it on secondaries of as asked.

I think this is an issue you shouldnt try to work around by looking at schools that may not ask on secondaries. Apply to the schools you won't and simply deal with this in a 1 or 2 sentence blurb if asked. It doesnt seem worthy of time, energy and focus to do otherwise

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Having a record like the one you describe is not a deal breaker. Report it if asked and move on. Not all of us are saints, nor do we expect every applicant to be one.

Reactions: 1 user

moe_eves

2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, I'm fairly certain that it would show up on a background check. Could I really get an acceptance withdrawn for not mentioning something on a secondary that was not asked? I'm not trying to argue/debate (Adcoms would know better than I would) just trying to understand. If asked about it I would disclose all details, but I feel like listing it when it isn't even asked for would put me at a disadvantage. But you make a good point in that I shouldn't base where I apply off of who won't ask about it; that makes me seem shady/dodgy.

Last edited:

moe_eves

2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Regardless, thank you @LizzyM @Goro and @gonnif for responding, you guys are like rockstars on this site and I'm privileged to have input from all 3 of you on this issue

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.