Schools that only consider science/math gpa or prerequisite gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WalSlave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to apply mainly to schools that only consider your prerequisite gpa, or even just science/math. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to apply mainly to schools that only consider your prerequisite gpa, or even just science/math. Is this possible?

Yes. UofA is one of them, although I heard a rumor that they might use PharmCAS in coming years but I don't know whether to believe it or not. The only thing with UofA is that because they look at your pre-requisites only, they have a much higher initial GPA threshold cut-off than some other schools. Their average GPA is like 3.7 but it is only after you get invited to an interview that they ask for your transcripts. Granted, they will take your previous courses into consideration, but you would have a much easier time at least getting an interview where you can do your best to express your genuine interest in pharmacy and what you have done to make yourself a better applicant, so on and so forth. Good luck.

UF uses that and PCAT mostly, in addition to the traditional experience, volunteer etc...

But they don't accept many out of state students (5%) I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about this topic. So would that mean that if the cumulative GPA isn't very high, but the math/science GPA is decent, that's all they consider? I know UF for example has a cut off for the SCIENCE gpa only, not even including math I believe, so it raises confusion, because then comes the question of: is it possible to be accepted if you make good grades in your science classes but the gen.ed requirements and such bring the cumulative gpa down?

Any more schools instead of UofA, UF, or USN?