Science Enthusiast with Bipolar 1, could I handle Med School+Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LhopitalsRule

Science Enthusiast
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So let me introduce myself, I am a semi-nontraditional university junior with a strong interest in science. I have completed most pre-health sciences curriculum (Anatomy/Physiology, Chem, Calc, ect.) However, I also deal with bipolar disorder and don't know if I could handle the stress and time commitment of medical school and residency. I am actually a GED graduate (wasn't able to finish high school due to untreated bipolar disorder) however I eventually got my GED and excelled in Community College. I was able to make it to the transfer state university, and was able to make up for my lost years to struggling with bipolar by doing summer semesters.

I'm considering a career in healthcare but I don't know if I could handle the stress. I am mostly stable now due to finally finding the right med cocktail (I've been hospitalized twice) I feel very lucky to have made it this far. I am also considering going with pure sciences/academia or computer science, bioinformatics, finance as those are some of my other interests. I'm really on the fence here...

Members don't see this ad.

Part of the premed process is helping you decide that. If you are taking premed courses (esp. more than 1 science course) and making As/A-s and participating heavily in extracurriculars (volunteer, research, and/or shadowing) and you're fine, that's a good indicator you can handle the course load in medical school. I would suggest going all in for a semester as if you are definitely going to, and at the end of the semester evaluate how you felt.

Part of the premed process is helping you decide that. If you are taking premed courses (esp. more than 1 science course) and making As/A-s and participating heavily in extracurriculars (volunteer, research, and/or shadowing) and you're fine, that's a good indicator you can handle the course load in medical school. I would suggest going all in for a semester as if you are definitely going to, and at the end of the semester evaluate how you felt.
I'm actually going pretty well academic wise, when my mental health is going well everything falls into place. I have taken higher math, calc-based physics and chem all at the same time and somehow survived?? For me it's more dealing with long work weeks, loss of sleep, and unpredictability of my mental health eh, condition. Part of me just wants to say that I got in but part of me is still apprehensive.

I am in this environmental group called the "sustainability committee" and some other random extracurriculars if that helps. Also working 45 hours a week as a teenage dropout was a unique experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your doctor think? They'll probably have the best advice as they know both your medical history and the Med path.
My main psychiatrist is..eh...an interesting person. She has quite the strong personality and honestly I am always like walking on eggshells around her...but I will admit she is a very knowledgeable psychiatrist. Many of "my residents" are pretty nice though. I go to the outpatient psych at a teaching hospital so most of the time I see one of the psych residents she attends to. I might ask one of them instead ahem.
Sometimes I wonder if the psychiatrists are more mentally interesting than me. 0_o

So let me introduce myself, I am a semi-nontraditional university junior with a strong interest in science. I have completed most pre-health sciences curriculum (Anatomy/Physiology, Chem, Calc, ect.) However, I also deal with bipolar disorder and don't know if I could handle the stress and time commitment of medical school and residency. I am actually a GED graduate (wasn't able to finish high school due to untreated bipolar disorder) however I eventually got my GED and excelled in Community College. I was able to make it to the transfer state university, and was able to make up for my lost years to struggling with bipolar by doing summer semesters.

I'm considering a career in healthcare but I don't know if I could handle the stress. I am mostly stable now due to finally finding the right med cocktail (I've been hospitalized twice) I feel very lucky to have made it this far. I am also considering going with pure sciences/academia or computer science, bioinformatics, finance as those are some of my other interests. I'm really on the fence here...
I can't recommedn a medical career unless your illness is under 100% control.

Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't recommedn a medical career unless your illness is under 100% control.

Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.
That's a fair point. I honestly cannot say it is ever 100% under control, because it's just that hard to keep it under control. Even when I am stable on my meds I still have my days. At this point I want to consider some other career options as well to play it safe. Thanks for the input.

Is it possible? Sure, I'm doing it right now but your bipolar needs to be well controlled.
Med school will push you harder than you've ever been pushed before (unless, perhaps, you are a veteran). You will need to be well controlled and stay that way. Also I strongly second getting your psychiatrist's input as she in very familiar with your condition and has been through med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible? Sure, I'm doing it right now but your bipolar needs to be well controlled.
Med school will push you harder than you've ever been pushed before (unless, perhaps, you are a veteran). You will need to be well controlled and stay that way. Also I strongly second getting your psychiatrist's input as she in very familiar with your condition and has been through med school.
I shall ask her. Next appointment is this July. :3

I would wager that there are loads of bipolar medical students and physicians. I've heard of practicing physicians with prior psychotic episodes that are now under control. The key is "under control."

Also be aware that there is a stigma with mental health in general within the medical profession. There are people that will try to use it against you, but of course you have certain rights as well and may not necessarily have to disclose any prior mental health issues, medications, etc.

Also for what it's worth, anecdotally, I have heard that psychiatry is a very understanding field for even physicians struggling with mental health related disorders.

I would wager that there are loads of bipolar medical students and physicians. I've heard of practicing physicians with prior psychotic episodes that are now under control. The key is "under control."

Also be aware that there is a stigma with mental health in general within the medical profession. There are people that will try to use it against you, but of course you have certain rights as well and may not necessarily have to disclose any prior mental health issues, medications, etc.

Also for what it's worth, anecdotally, I have heard that psychiatry is a very understanding field for even physicians struggling with mental health related disorders.
Yeah there are all sorts of professionals with BP, we are everywhere haha. Mania (especially hypomania) can be useful for productivity until it gets out of hand of course.
Unfortunately the stigma is also rampant everywhere as well. I usually don't disclose (to people who know me personally) unless they are close friends, family, ect.

That's a fair point. I honestly cannot say it is ever 100% under control, because it's just that hard to keep it under control. Even when I am stable on my meds I still have my days. At this point I want to consider some other career options as well to play it safe. Thanks for the input.
I can't recommend medical school.