This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksilver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello-
I understand to apply for schools most of them will look at science/ science + math gpa which tends to include the bio/chem/physics/A+P as well as any/all math courses

I was wondering that if I take a "science" course during my winter break to possibly boost my gpa (and hopefully boost my science gpa) if it'd count.
My school has a limited course availability but some "science" courses include: wildlife conservation + ecology, intro to astronomy, brain + behavior (a psych course) and human heredity + development

I'm also wondering if psychology courses (abnormal + child specifically) would count in science gpa or not

thanks so any/all input!

Members don't see this ad.

According to the PTCAS website, the science GPA includes anatomy and physiology, biology, chemistry, and physics courses. So, I'm guessing the answer to your question is no. I don't think it includes other elective science courses. This also means psychology courses would not count towards your science GPA.

According to the PTCAS website, the science GPA includes anatomy and physiology, biology, chemistry, and physics courses. So, I'm guessing the answer to your question is no. I don't think it includes other elective science courses. This also means psychology courses would not count towards your science GPA.

I saw that, too so that was what I was assuming as well.
I wonder if the courses were under the biology, chemistry or physics department if it'd count. Example- astronomy at my school is a physics course/within the department, so would that count?

I know it also depends on the schools I'd apply to as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that, too so that was what I was assuming as well.
I wonder if the courses were under the biology, chemistry or physics department if it'd count. Example- astronomy at my school is a physics course/within the department, so would that count?

I know it also depends on the schools I'd apply to as well
Yeah I personally would lean no to that question but some schools are definitely more lenient than others. It might be worth an email to their admissions. The worst thing they can do is say no!

If you’re applying THIS cycle then you taking an extra class is not going to help. Unfortunately the programs only look at your GPA from summer and forward. Because the programs don’t even have enough time to rerank people from there fall/winter grades since most acceptance letters are sent out in January.

But if you are applying for a different cycle then taking that class can bump up your OVERALL GPA if you get an A. But then again you can take any class, it doesn’t have to be a science class.