'science' GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspaic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when calculating your 'science GPA,' what courses do the schools consider?

is it ALL science and math courses or just like the basic ones (chem 1, bio1, physics, calc, orgo)

for instance, i'm takin Genetics and Physical chem, and doing pretty well in them, so i'm not sure if they'd be considered as a part of my science GPA, since they are just as much of a science class as bio1 and orgo

Members don't see this ad.

mspaic said:
when calculating your 'science GPA,' what courses do the schools consider?

is it ALL science and math courses or just like the basic ones (chem 1, bio1, physics, calc, orgo)

for instance, i'm takin Genetics and Physical chem, and doing pretty well in them, so i'm not sure if they'd be considered as a part of my science GPA, since they are just as much of a science class as bio1 and orgo

I think schools will look at the required science classes that they only make you take, to calculate your pre-pharm G.P.A. This, of course, depends on what kinds of classes are required, which is unique to each school. If you have taken non-required sciences class that the school doesn't require, it's still okay and that will make you more well-rounded!

On PharmCAS, however, all science classes count in your science G.P.A.

Hope this helps! :D

You'll have to go to each school's website and check out their individual science requirements. You can pretty much count on General Bio 1 & 2, General Chem 1 & 2, Organic Chem 1 & 2, Microbiology, and at least one semester of Physics as requirements for every pharm school.

Most schools don't require Genetics.