science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicaholland1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools refer to a science GPA is that just the pre-req science classes or any science classes you've taken? I'm graduating w/ a BS in bio, so I have way more bio classes than the required ones. Do they include those too?

Members don't see this ad.

When schools refer to a science GPA is that just the pre-req science classes or any science classes you've taken? I'm graduating w/ a BS in bio, so I have way more bio classes than the required ones. Do they include those too?

If it's pharmcas then they're self classified. You use their list to determine what is science, non-science, math, etc. Anything you classify as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Other Science all goes into your science GPA (I'm not as sure about the Social/Behavioral Science, but it looks like they're included also) Anything classified as math, English/Lit, Public Speaking, and non-science is not calculated in that GPA.

Non-pharmCAS schools may do it differently. They may do pre-reqs only, they may do it the same way as PharmCAS, or they may classify some things as science that PharmCAS doesn't. (e.g. Chem seminar classes that were writing and presentations in/for chemistry classified as English/Lit and Public speaking respectively)

PharmCAS will calculate it one way, but the individual pharmacy program can choose to recalculate your GPA any way they want. This can be beneficial to you. For example, if you had to retake a course due to a D or F grade, and your school had a forgiveness policy, that grade is not calculated in your college GPA, but PharmCAS will count it. The pharmacy school you apply to can recalculate it without the D or F grade that you were forgiven.

They may also look at the GPA for the courses that they require only.

:luck: