This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomEMT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I received my score today and got a 496. Which I am well aware of is not a good score. My break down is as follows:

Chem/ physics -124
CARS-122
Bio/Biochem-123
Psych/Soc-127

My GPA is about a 3.5 non science and 3.6 science. I am primarily interested in going D.O because my undergraduate was in exercise sport science and I love the Osteopathic manipulation aspect of teaching.
I have been a volunteer EMT for 3 years, Paid for 6 months. I teach EMT for my county where I teach the skills portion of being an EMT. I have over 1,000 hours shadowing ( Medical Scribe, Shadowing and OBGYN, Vascular Surgeon etc.) My non-Healthcare experienceI was the manager of operations for a restaurant. Lastly, Im currently helping with research at a big hospital in my area.

My question is should I apply to D.O school or just retake the exam because they wont look twice at me? Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I received my score today and got a 496. Which I am well aware of is not a good score. My break down is as follows:

Chem/ physics -124
CARS-122
Bio/Biochem-123
Psych/Soc-127

My GPA is about a 3.5 non science and 3.6 science. I am primarily interested in going D.O because my undergraduate was in exercise sport science and I love the Osteopathic manipulation aspect of teaching.
I have been a volunteer EMT for 3 years, Paid for 6 months. I teach EMT for my county where I teach the skills portion of being an EMT. I have over 1,000 hours shadowing ( Medical Scribe, Shadowing and OBGYN, Vascular Surgeon etc.) My non-Healthcare experienceI was the manager of operations for a restaurant. Lastly, Im currently helping with research at a big hospital in my area.

My question is should I apply to D.O school or just retake the exam because they wont look twice at me? Thank you all for the help!

Delay your application till next cycle - you'll greatly increase your chances of getting in with a higher MCAT score. Some DO schools pre-screen scores around 500, which would take you out of the run as an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Delay your application till next cycle - you'll greatly increase your chances of getting in with a higher MCAT score. Some DO schools pre-screen scores around 500, which would take you out of the run as an applicant.

Thank you for the advice. My only obstacle is I'm currently 26 so I will be entering at 29 years old.

To answer your question. Yes you should re test but only when your getting good practice test scores. Id wait till next year. Now to your obstacle, how would waiting one cycle make u lose 3 years of age? And even so, applying with a 496 with an ok GPA in all likelihood will not earn you acceptances at any schools at age 26,27,28,29 or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)

Chem/ physics -124
CARS-122
Bio/Biochem-123
Psych/Soc-127

No DO school is going to give you the time of the day with a 496. Aim for a 505-510 for DO schools.

A 496 will be okay for some schools. Your job now is to figure out which ones accepted students with MCAT scores similar to yours. It will be more difficult for you to choose the school of your dreams with that score; however, it's possible for you to get in to a DO school, especially if you're not down for the waiting game. You'll still come out as a doctor..

I hate that this website perpetuates this ideal score. Don't lay all your eggs in the MCAT basket. Some schools truly look at the applicant as a whole, taking into consideration your GPA, ECs, background, and life experiences. For a fact, I know of schools that have accepted students well below your score, such as ACOM, VCOMs, and Pikeville.

The question now is do you feel ready to start medical school. Despite all that I have said, the MCAT is "suppose to" predict your academic success in and readiness for medical school. Do you feel ready for such rigor?

Good luck!!

Thank you for the advice. My only obstacle is I'm currently 26 so I will be entering at 29 years old.

If you truly want to be a physician, it doesn't matter. And

Unless you have profound ECs on your application you haven't listed in your original post (e.g. cured cancer, have some incredible backstory overcoming adversity, URM, etc.) I don't think you will get interviews with that score. You will be screened out at (almost) all schools in your primary application. I say almost because some schools send you secondaries no matter what to rake in cash, even if you are below their minimum application requirements, but will ultimately reject you after you send them a secondary application. Some call this cruel, but I think it's just to screen out those who don't pay attention to detail.

Your gpa and overall application are good. Retake the MCAT when you are ready. With your application, a (balanced) 505+ will yield you a very successful application cycle to DO schools, IMO. I think even if you scored below a 505 (like... maybe 501+) you would probably still have a shot at the schools that place heavy emphasis on gpa, and not so much on MCAT (VCOM, LECOM, and the newer schools.)

Getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint; you've got this.