SDN Big Sib / Little Sib? :)

Started by bluesails
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a lot of veterinary schools have big sib / little sib programs in place, but would any of you be interested into starting an informal one with this forum's community? I think a mentoring system where a pre-veterinary individual is paired with a veterinary school student (or older!) would be awesome if enough of us were willing to get it going.

Some stuff I was thinking about:
  • Creating a separate website for a 'directory' of big sibs and little sibs (orrrr just keeping it on this thread)
  • Having profiles for each person such as where they're from (in case sibs prefer someone available to meet up), what fields they're interested in, what schools they're interested in, etc.
  • What kind of matching system would we have for the sibs - would people just pick their own or would some of us match them? Would we do matching in cycles? How often? Or 'rolling'?
  • Working towards long-term friendships by organizing events once in a while 🙂
  • Minimum guidelines for keeping in contact with your sib like updating them about classes / vet experiences / etc.
  • Lots of support for non-trads by non-trads!!!

What do you guys think? This is a really rough idea so any and all criticism is appreciated. And I promise you I scoured the forums for a thread like this but I'm still really sorry if it turns out someone has posted something like this before. 😛
 
i like the idea. i'm in the process of applying right now, so it would be a little late for me to be a "little sib" but if i get accepted i would definitely be willing to be a "big sib"

👍👍