Selecting schools list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Stats:
  • Penn State University (currently a junior)
  • Resident of Pennsylvania
  • Cumulative gpa: 3.53
  • Science gpa: 3.40
  • DAT scores: 20 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, 20 Bio, 20 GC, 20 OC, 20 RC, 21 QR
  • Did SMDEP at Case Western Reserve University
  • Lab teaching assistant for anatomy for 6 semesters
  • Worked first 2 years of undergrad at a commons desk
  • In clubs like pre-dental, global medical brigades, sculpture club, and a service club (TOMS club)
  • 100 hours of volunteering, 140 of shadowing (in different specialities too)
I was wondering if these schools would be alright for my stats. I tried to do a little bit of research before deciding on these - I would potentially like to have 8 - 10 schools! Please let me know that you think.

Schools:
  • Temple University
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Connecticut
  • West Virginia University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Case Western Reserve University
  • Boston University
  1. Are there any potential schools I should add to my list on the East side?
  2. Are there any schools I should be re-thinking?
  3. Also, I could take a microbiology class and then apply to Ohio State and Michigan, but I'm not sure if I should because they aren't very out-of-state friendly. Does anyone think differently?

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just tell you my experience. I applied with a 3.74 and a 21, so fairly similar stats. I was accepted to Pitt out of state, and it was a great school when I visited/interviewed. U Conn seemed like a bit more of a stretch, so I didn't apply there. I was rejected from Ohio and Michigan without interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll just tell you my experience. I applied with a 3.74 and a 21, so fairly similar stats. I was accepted to Pitt out of state, and it was a great school when I visited/interviewed. U Conn seemed like a bit more of a stretch, so I didn't apply there. I was rejected from Ohio and Michigan without interviews.

That's what I figured. When I was at a school fair during SMDEP the Ohio State representative made the school sound amazing, but when she found out I was OOS she was like "yeah, we accept like 5 OOS..". Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools:
  • Temple University
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Connecticut
  • West Virginia University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Case Western Reserve University
  • Boston University
  1. Are there any potential schools I should add to my list on the East side?
  2. Are there any schools I should be re-thinking?
  3. Also, I could take a microbiology class and then apply to Ohio State and Michigan, but I'm not sure if I should because they aren't very out-of-state friendly. Does anyone think differently?
Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

How much does VCU cost, total for all 4 years?

How much does VCU cost, total for all 4 years?

According to the ADEA 2015 - 2016 Guidebook, 255k for in-state and 352k for out-of-state. I just realized that VCU doesn't let their students switch from out-of-state to in-state during school so that might get expensive..

Reactions: 1 user
According to the ADEA 2015 - 2016 Guidebook, 255k for in-state and 352k for out-of-state. I just realized that VCU doesn't let their students switch from out-of-state to in-state during school so that might get expensive..

Allocate ~$380K by the time you're done with it to account for tuition increases.

Temple University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Maryland
University of Connecticut
West Virginia University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Case Western Reserve University
Boston University

Consider adding (would be competitive at these places):
Tufts
NYU
Touro
UNE

Consider removing:
Uconn (hard to get in OOS, non new england)

Reactions: 2 users
Temple University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Maryland
University of Connecticut
West Virginia University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Case Western Reserve University
Boston University

Consider adding (would be competitive at these places):
Tufts
NYU
Touro
UNE

Consider removing:
Uconn (hard to get in OOS, non new england)

I definitely considered Tufts and NYU, but ultimately didn't feel like they were a good fit for me.

Do you know much about Touro at all? I'm not sure about their stats or in/out-of-state preference since they are so new. I'll look into UNE, thanks for the advice!

I definitely considered Tufts and NYU, but ultimately didn't feel like they were a good fit for me.

Do you know much about Touro at all? I'm not sure about their stats or in/out-of-state preference since they are so new. I'll look into UNE, thanks for the advice!

I would add NYU and Tufts still just to increase your chances of getting an interview. There have been people with higher stats than you who haven't gotten into dental school. Would be wise to spend the extra money sending your apps there. If you get interviews at places other than NYU and tufts, you can always decline an interview if they send you an invite.

Touro is private I believe so they don't favor in-state kids.

Agree with adding Tufts, NYU, and UNE. Are you open to the south? If so, I would also look into LECOM and Nova. I would remove UConn.

Lastly, I wouldn't consider Touro.

Agree with adding Tufts, NYU, and UNE. Are you open to the south? If so, I would also look into LECOM and Nova. I would remove UConn.

Lastly, I wouldn't consider Touro.

I'm considering adding UNE, but would need to take micro and micro lab this Fall. Why would't you consider Touro (just wondering)?

Also I'm not entirely sure, but if I don't have a prerequisite done before applying but plan to take it during the Spring of my senior year, would that still be fine? Thanks!

I'm considering adding UNE, but would need to take micro and micro lab this Fall. Why would't you consider Touro (just wondering)?

New school. Not fully accredited yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Also I'm not entirely sure, but if I don't have a prerequisite done before applying but plan to take it during the Spring of my senior year, would that still be fine? Thanks!
It should be fine.

New school. Not fully accredited yet. Shady history with other schools in the Touro system.
These reasons