Self Study Phyics or Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschooldoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took AP Physics my sophomore year of High school and got both lab and class credit for Physics I and II. I got conflicting information from two different prehealth advisors about whether I should retake it or not. One advisor told me to retake it to study for the MCAT and ensure I can apply to all schools, and another told me to self study. I got a 5 on the AP test and mastered it in High School, but that was 4 years ago and I barely remember anything I learned. I'm sure I could pick it up again with self study, but I want to do the best thing for my MCAT score. I also am tempted to not retake Physics again because it is 10 credits at my school, and I could take some other classes relevant to the MCAT.

The decision would be between taking 10 credits of physics or taking 3 other classes (Psych, Sociology, and a Leadership/Management class).

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

You can self-study physics for the MCAT. There are great resources for it like The Berkeley Review, ExamKrackers and Khan Academy.

You don't have to take physics again but some schools have specific policies regarding AP credits. This is seen by getting the MSAR. Most schools that don't accept AP credit require taking advanced courses to show competence in the subject.

So I took AP Physics my sophomore year of High school and got both lab and class credit for Physics I and II. I got conflicting information from two different prehealth advisors about whether I should retake it or not. One advisor told me to retake it to study for the MCAT and ensure I can apply to all schools, and another told me to self study. I got a 5 on the AP test and mastered it in High School, but that was 4 years ago and I barely remember anything I learned. I'm sure I could pick it up again with self study, but I want to do the best thing for my MCAT score. I also am tempted to not retake Physics again because it is 10 credits at my school, and I could take some other classes relevant to the MCAT.

The decision would be between taking 10 credits of physics or taking 3 other classes (Psych, Sociology, and a Leadership/Management class).

What do you all think?
FWIW ... if you enroll in 10 credits of Physics at your school and ace it with stellar grade, it will be included in BCPM and should be good for applying to all med schools. Then, you'll have extra "A" grades in BCPM and be freshly prepared to respond to potential physics questions on MCAT. Just something to think about, that's all.

For something like physics, I would see if you could retake for both MCAT prep and for not having to go into an advanced physics class which may be difficult for most people. Also, AP in lieu of courses not only varies by med schools but varies internally within med schools, That is, some AP courses are accepted, some not. My impression is physics is one that is accepted more often than other courses, but you have to check the MSAR as well as the individual school websites.

Slightly confused. Individual school websites usually agree with MSAR for basic requirements like AP credit policy right? If the two differ, what's the most reliable approach? Contact the schools for clarification?