This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradeobsessed

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m one of the people that keeps positing about weird medical situations on this site. If I had to explain it all, I’d say that my body is on fire.

I’ve always known I’ve had an ampicillin and amoxicillin allergy, (as well as mupericin, azythromycin, and erythromycin allergies.) I’m not allergic to the entire penicillin class. In my sophomore biology lab, I was consistently exposed to ampicillin - and my allergy severity became worse and worse over time, eventually leading me to drop out of the course, and almost take a leave of absence. It’s a grade 3 anaphylactic reaction - I now can’t even enter the biological sciences building without going into a full-blown reaction. (Granted, the lab is on the entry floor.)

The allergy was managable prior to my constant exposure in the course.

I want to go into the medical profession- it’s all I can see myself doing. However, I know this allergy is dangerous, and may take that option off the table. Do I have any options?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,
I’m one of the people that keeps positing about weird medical situations on this site. If I had to explain it all, I’d say that my body is on fire.

I’ve always known I’ve had an ampicillin and amoxicillin allergy, (as well as mupericin, azythromycin, and erythromycin allergies.) I’m not allergic to the entire penicillin class. In my sophomore biology lab, I was consistently exposed to ampicillin - and my allergy severity became worse and worse over time, eventually leading me to drop out of the course, and almost take a leave of absence. It’s a grade 3 anaphylactic reaction - I now can’t even enter the biological sciences building without going into a full-blown reaction. (Granted, the lab is on the entry floor.)

I want to go into the medical profession- it’s all I can see myself doing. However, I know this allergy is dangerous, and may take that option off the table. Do I have any options?
In the ideal medical setting, you will have other antibiotics available to you for prescription. And as the physician, you really shouldn’t be handling the medications as far as I am aware. If it is during some kind of microbiology rotation, let them know ahead of time and accommodations should, can, and will be met.

You could discuss with your PCP or allergist the possibility of desensitization therapy. I don't know if it's the right option for you or if it's possible in your case because you're an internet person, but something you can investigate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I havent come in to contact with these medications since i started med school. Granted, plenty of my patients have been on IV amp, but i dont handle it.

Hi All,

Unless you're going to be pharmacist, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Carry an Epipen? Or just write for one when you start dying?

(joking on the last part)

Hahaha -- after reading all these responses, I have a lot more peace of mind. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Your friends across the drape do it all the time. Ancef 2 grams 15 mins prior to incision. lol
I am aware, but are they touching the antibiotic with their actual hands? I was under the impression that they just add the ancef to the bag from another bag. I physically handle the powder myself and mix it manually into the cement.

Reactions: 1 user
I am aware, but are they touching the antibiotic with their actual hands? I was under the impression that they just add the ancef to the bag from another bag. I physically handle the powder myself and mix it manually into the cement.

We don't physically touch it but that stuff does leak out and spray on us every now and then so we do come in contact with it physically. At least in my institution we only get the powdered ancef vials where we have to mix it with a syringe and NS. Same with vanco.

Reactions: 1 users