sGPA >> nsGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I approach my sGPA being much higher than my non-science GPA (engineering major)?

My sGPA is ~3.9 while my cGPA is 3.78. I know schools care more about BCPM, so does it make sense to apply to schools where my cGPA is on the lower percentiles assuming that my high sGPA will be weighted more?

This will change my school list by allowing me to apply to more top-heavy schools. An example of this is UVA - their mean GPA is 3.86; I won't really consider applying with my 3.78 because I don't have any interesting ECs/super high MCAT that will push me over the top. However, if sGPA is weighted more, I might consider applying if my "perceived GPA" will be closer to 3.9.

In other words: can I apply to schools with a higher GPA requirement assuming that my sGPA will make my overall GPA be perceived higher than it actually is?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not focus on single metrics. A higher GPA, even if it is sGPA, does not make up for a lower MCAT that is not in their range.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Do not focus on single metrics. A higher GPA, even if it is sGPA, does not make up for a lower MCAT that is not in their range.
My MCAT is in their range, and my ECs are decent enough for UVA (confirmed by friends who are students there). The only reason I wouldn't apply is my relatively low cGPA (and I'm asking if my sGPA compensates for that).

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT is in their range, and my ECs are decent enough for UVA (confirmed by friends who are students there). The only reason I wouldn't apply is my relatively low cGPA (and I'm asking if my sGPA compensates for that).
A 3.86 vs your 3.78 does not mean you have a relatively low GPA. You had a previous thread about these minor differences. If you feel your MCAT is in their range, then apply. If you would like more comprehensive advice, then post a thread in the MD/PhD forums with more details about your app.

Reactions: 2 users
A 3.86 vs your 3.78 does not mean you have a relatively low GPA. You had a previous thread about these minor differences. If you feel your MCAT is in their range, then apply. If you would like more comprehensive advice, then post a thread in the MD/PhD forums with more details about your app.
cool thanks - I know I had my other thread, but I'm getting cold feet now that it's actually time to properly make a school list and target specific schools lol. Anyways, appreciate the advice!

Also, I'm going for normal MD, not MD/PhD (despite my username)

cool thanks. I'm going for normal MD, not MD/PhD (despite my username)

appreciate the advice!
You can post on WAMC then. For UVA specifically, apply if you are in-state. If you are OOS, then you will need a higher MCAT than 515 usually.

Reactions: 1 user
You can post on WAMC then. For UVA specifically, apply if you are in-state. If you are OOS, then you will need a higher MCAT than 515 usually.
gotcha. I am IS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user