SGU 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasingMyDVM

C/O 2023!!
Reaction score
I just interviewed today with SGU and figured I’d started a thread since I didn’t see one for this upcoming fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied this cycle too! I really enjoyed my interview for SGU and look forward to hearing some hopefully good news!!

I applied this cycle too! I really enjoyed my interview for SGU and look forward to hearing some hopefully good news!!

When did you interview? I just got my email today saying that my application is under final review! :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview? I just got my email today saying that my application is under final review! :nailbiting:

I interviewed last week. When I got the “final determination” email, I was so worried because I thought they had already decided! The email said I would hear back in 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed last week. When I got the “final determination” email, I was so worried because I thought they had already decided! The email said I would hear back in 4-6 weeks.

Literally same!!!

I interviewed last Tuesday and she told me it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks, but that they're usually much quicker than that and I can get an answer anytime after 3 weeks, so here's to hoping I hear something in the next two weeks or so!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed last Tuesday and she told me it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks, but that they're usually much quicker than that and I can get an answer anytime after 3 weeks, so here's to hoping I hear something in the next two weeks or so!
I am still compulsively checking my email

Just got my invitation for a Skype interview! They told me I needed to get 200 hours of large animal experience by August 1st though in order to be considered:wideyed: I know the experience will boost my resume, so I’m kinda excited about it! Now to find a large animal vet nearby that will let me shadow them that long...

Just got my invitation for a Skype interview! They told me I needed to get 200 hours of large animal experience by August 1st though in order to be considered:wideyed: I know the experience will boost my resume, so I’m kinda excited about it! Now to find a large animal vet nearby that will let me shadow them that long...

You can still be accepted! You just have to have that done by August 1 to keep your seat! I have to do the same.

Hi everyone!

I interviewed on 9/21...Impatiently waiting to hear back! Lol

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and then today I received an email that final determination would take 4-6 weeks, so I guess it wasn't 4-6 weeks from the interview, but 4-6 weeks after the interview was processed by admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 2 weeks ago and then today I received an email that final determination would take 4-6 weeks, so I guess it wasn't 4-6 weeks from the interview, but 4-6 weeks after the interview was processed by admissions.
Interesting, I got that email the Monday following my Friday interview.

It depends on when your interviewer turns in your interview sheet to the review committee!

Can anyone that had a Skype interview tell me how the scheduling works? Did you pick a time that worked best for you or did they give you a time? How far in advanced is it?

Can anyone that had a Skype interview tell me how the scheduling works? Did you pick a time that worked best for you or did they give you a time? How far in advanced is it?
My interviewer was really nice and gave me her availability and let me chose from that when it would be best. I had about a week and a half from the first contact

In my first email to my interviewer, I gave her a bunch of days/times I was available (like all Tuesday's after 3, etc) and she just picked a day and verified it with me.

Hey guys! I will be interviewing with SGU in the next couple weeks! I'm very anxious and excited. Waiting to hear back from my interviewer on which day works best.

I interviewed three weeks ago (with an alum in my home state) and today Krista emailed me that I would know by this Friday or next Wednesday a final decision....... can you say nerve racking!

Did anyone else receive an email from Krista today about the possibility of starting in January? It looks as though it was sent to multiple people since no personal name was used but I wanted to check with everyone else.

Did anyone else receive an email from Krista today about the possibility of starting in January? It looks as though it was sent to multiple people since no personal name was used but I wanted to check with everyone else.

Yes! I got that even though I’m not eligible to start then!

I interviewed three weeks ago (with an alum in my home state) and today Krista emailed me that I would know by this Friday or next Wednesday a final decision....... can you say nerve racking!

Oh ma goodness so soon! I interviewed around then too so maybe I’ll hear back as well. Thanks for the update! Best of luck to you!!! :)

Did you email and inquire or did she just shoot you that email out of the blue?

Did you email and inquire or did she just shoot you that email out of the blue?

I received a phone call from a student who currently attends SGU asking me if I had any questions about the school and the program. It seemed odd because she ended our convo by asking if I wanted to continue to receive information about SGU so I emailed to check the status of my app.

What day did you interview?

I got this email and was wondering the same thing!

I interviewed on 10/3 and was submitted for final review on 10/4!

Geez! I interviewed on 9/21 (submitted for final review on 9/24) & Krista she told me today that it will be two more weeks until I will get a decision! :/

Geez! I interviewed on 9/21 (submitted for final review on 9/24) & Krista she told me today that it will be two more weeks until I will get a decision! :/

That’s odd! I don’t really know what there process looks like other than if the cancel the meetings or not.

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your stats? (You totally don’t have to!)

Sure!

I am not sure how they calculate GPA but my overall GPA is a 3.4 at my current university!

2,000+ hours with small animal (rabbits every now and then)
250+ hours with large animal (mostly cattle and horses)
~50 pocket pets/exotics (hamsters, tigers, raccoons, squirrels)
I currently work at a mixed animal practice, but have worked at a predominately large animal practice and another small animal exclusive practice.

I had 2 letters from vets, 2 from academic professionals (honors professor and biology department professional) and 2 from higher ed professionals in our student life office that I have worked with closely during my undergrad.

Hey! Do yo my remember any of the specific interview questions that really stuck out? I have my interview tomorrow and am trying to figure out what to expect.

Congratulations!

Well honestly my interviewer was super conversational. We actually ended up being from the same small town area so we talked a little about that but be prepared to answer why you want to be a vet I mean that’s honestly the hardest questions I feel like to put into words without seeming rehearsed or textbook. Also how you plan to pay for school!

I interview tomorrow! I'm going to be so anxious checking my emails this next month or so waiting on a decision :arghh:

Hey! Do yo my remember any of the specific interview questions that really stuck out? I have my interview tomorrow and am trying to figure out what to expect.

Congratulations!

This is what I used to prep. These were almost the exact questions I was asked. I found them on another forum.

Attachments

• 792C2594-15CE-4DD2-9375-9010291ECBCA.png
    792C2594-15CE-4DD2-9375-9010291ECBCA.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 117

Congratulations!

She told me there is a list that they are supposed to use, but mine asked other questions as well. Some of the questions were similar to:
What are you personal strengths and weakness?
What are you academic strengths and weaknesses?
What made you want to be a vet?
What are some problems that veterinarians face?
How will you pay for vet school?
Do you think you'll adapt to island life?

I interviewed 9/27!

Cool! I interviewed on 9/21 so I guess I should be hearing back within the next week or so?:nailbiting: It’s nerve wrecking because both of you interviewed after me so now I’m nervous!

Last edited:
Cool! I interviewed on 9/21 so I guess I should be hearing back within the next week or so?:nailbiting: It’s nerve wrecking because both of you interviewed after me so now I’m nervous!

It depends on when the interviewer submits his or her interview summary and notes, not when you interviewed!