SGU 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That should be your top factor of where you choose to apply and attend. Don’t go to your “dream school” over somewhere else you get accepted if it puts you an extra 100k in debt.

What happened to your signature about the cheapest school... loved it!

Members don't see this ad.

That should be your top factor of where you choose to apply and attend. Don’t go to your “dream school” over somewhere else you get accepted if it puts you an extra 100k in debt.

I think we all know that. I’m not asking for a lecture, just to see if anyone else was worried when they heard the debt amount. In state you can walk away with well over $100,000 as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we all know that. I’m not asking for a lecture, just to see if anyone else was worried when they heard the debt amount. In state you can walk away with well over $100,000 as well.
I said an extra hundred thousand :p
And literally everyone in vetmed is worried about the debt amount anywhere they go. You’re not alone on that.
And you would be surprised the amount of people on here that are set on a “dream school” and don’t care how much extra debt it would be.

Reactions: 4 users
I said an extra hundred thousand :p
And literally everyone in vetmed is worried about the debt amount anywhere they go. You’re not alone on that.
And you would be surprised the amount of people on here that are set on a “dream school” and don’t care how much extra debt it would be.

Oh gosh I know! I know many people like that :p

Reactions: 1 users
So question since I am planning to attend here unless something crazy happens with LSU.... Do any of y'all have your passport or think getting it in January is too late? Also planning to bring pets?

So question since I am planning to attend here unless something crazy happens with LSU.... Do any of y'all have your passport or think getting it in January is too late? Also planning to bring pets?
Since this school is an option for you I highly recommend getting your passport sooner than later. It usually takes 6-8 weeks but they recommend getting it asap when you have travel plans just in case. Plus if you end up not going then you can go ahead and travel outside the country for fun!

Re pets: I would not recommend not taking a pet to an island school purely because of price. You have to deal with flying them as well as health papers and then quarantining. It's possible but a process from what I've heard from people who have gone to island schools.

Get your passport ASAP! This is a high travel time and it can take 2 months or more to get it. You have until August, but the sooner the better. Also, you have to be careful when flying with pets because if you land in any British-owned islands for a layover, they will take your pet to a 6 week (month? can't remember) quarantine in the UK. SGU talks about this in detail on their site for accepted students. If I were you, I would find an alternative place for your pet. But you do you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most people going to the Caribbean schools didn't get accepted anywhere else. Or at least it is my case. I want to live in debt forever any way :)

I think most people going to the Caribbean schools didn't get accepted anywhere else. Or at least it is my case. I want to live in debt forever any way :)

Out of curiosity, is this your second cycle applying? If so, where did you apply the first cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is my second. The first cycle I just applied to Michigan State, was my IS, and was rejected.

Oooh okay okay! Well I’m glad SGU accepted you this cycle!

You didn’t apply to any other US schools after that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 38 schools this time around and have been rejected from 13 so far...

Well you probably still have some schools with pending decisions so stay optimistic! You may get an acceptance from a US school!

I applied to 6 schools & the waiting game is killing me...

Well you probably still have some schools with pending decisions so stay optimistic! You may get an acceptance from a US school!

I applied to 6 schools & the waiting game is killing me...

With my stats, I doubt it. I was lucky to get accepted to SGU!

I would just get your passport as soon as you can, but don't stress. They recommend having it 6 months in advance, so you'll be fine. And if you're worried about it, you can pay to have it expedited! I was planning on bringing a pet, but I'm terrified about the whole quarantine thing. I would literally be worried sick about my kitty while she wasn't with me so I'm going to reach out for more info

I just found this on SGU's website :) "Bringing dogs and cats to campus has been a very popular request amongst our students, and is relatively easy to do so as there is no quarantine period in Grenada."

I just found this on SGU's website :) "Bringing dogs and cats to campus has been a very popular request amongst our students, and is relatively easy to do so as there is no quarantine period in Grenada."
But you have to be careful with your flight and layovers. Depending on the country your layover is in, you may have to do quarantine there. Just have to be careful with your flight.

Yes I read about not going to Barbados and that Miami flights are direct flights! (I think Ross does have a quarantine period) I have a place for my cat but not for my dog, still holding out hope for a US option but if it’s not in the cards I’m thankful for this adventurous opportunity!

Some people it’s their dream school over a US school because you get to be in the Caribbean for three years. I just say it because some people are crazy and want more debt to go to a school they think is their dream school even though you don’t know if a school is actually what you thought until you’re actually enrolled and taking classes as a student. Cost should be the number 1 factor.

Some people it’s their dream school over a US school because you get to be in the Caribbean for three years. I just say it because some people are crazy and want more debt to go to a school they think is their dream school even though you don’t know if a school is actually what you thought until you’re actually enrolled and taking classes as a student. Cost should be the number 1 factor.

It should be, but everyone is different and coming from a different background. You never know what influences a person's choice. Cost isn't nor shouldn't be everyone's number one reason for picking a school. Whatever is important to you should be the reason you pick a school.

Cost isn't nor shouldn't be everyone's number one reason for picking a school.
while I agree with the rest of your post and the fact that some people dont have a choice we understand (personally I would've just found a different career) but I highly disagree with the above piece. This part of the mind set is basically to blame as to why vet med is in trouble. People are choosing that school that costs an extra 100k because theyll "be happier" at the other school or want to live at the place or they have a better zoo program or they just want to be a vet the price doesn't matter. None of these factors you can determine before attending or how they will or wont benefit you. Its these views and ideas that are crippling our profession so quickly. Personally when I get out I cannot (and wont) in good faith write a recommendation letter to a prevet student who is aspiring to go somewhere outrageous unless they have a solid plan on how to pay it all and live. $450k was the latest number I heard in student loans a person graduated with from an island school. There is absolutely 0.01% ways they can realistically pay their way out of that and live. Quite frankly this profession is not worth that amount of money. In the end it is just a job and you have to be able to put food in your mouth, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back. I cannot encourage anyone to take on a life time of crushing debt that will inhibit them for the rest of their life when there are better jobs out there. Even if you can "afford" the most expensive school I have to wonder if it's really worth it in the end. Theres a huge reason the opening of new vet schools is being blocked and why theres such discouragement to enter this field at this point in time because the debt is ruining people's lives and unfortunately time and time again prevets arent getting it decide to go to the outrageous school then are miserable for a good chunk of their lives.

while I agree with the rest of your post and the fact that some people dont have a choice we understand (personally I would've just found a different career) but I highly disagree with the above piece. This part of the mind set is basically to blame as to why vet med is in trouble. People are choosing that school that costs an extra 100k because theyll "be happier" at the other school or want to live at the place or they have a better zoo program or they just want to be a vet the price doesn't matter. None of these factors you can determine before attending or how they will or wont benefit you. Its these views and ideas that are crippling our profession so quickly. Personally when I get out I cannot (and wont) in good faith write a recommendation letter to a prevet student who is aspiring to go somewhere outrageous unless they have a solid plan on how to pay it all and live. $450k was the latest number I heard in student loans a person graduated with from an island school. There is absolutely 0.01% ways they can realistically pay their way out of that and live. Quite frankly this profession is not worth that amount of money. In the end it is just a job and you have to be able to put food in your mouth, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back. I cannot encourage anyone to take on a life time of crushing debt that will inhibit them for the rest of their life when there are better jobs out there. Even if you can "afford" the most expensive school I have to wonder if it's really worth it in the end. Theres a huge reason the opening of new vet schools is being blocked and why theres such discouragement to enter this field at this point in time because the debt is ruining people's lives and unfortunately time and time again prevets arent getting it decide to go to the outrageous school then are miserable for a good chunk of their lives.

No offense, but if you think this career is just a job to "be able to put food in your mouth, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back" you might be in the wrong career and might want to re-evaluate why you want to go into vet med in the first place. Most people today have loans they will never be able to be able to pay back. You could say almost the same thing about going into academic research. They have high student loan debt and make very little as a post-doc or a PI starting out. Other careers are in the same boat unless you are doing something like engineering, something where you can make money with just a bachelor's degree. If you want to be a vet, then you should do it. You should consider the cost and how that will affect your life, but if you really want to and can do it, you should. We need passionate people in the field, not people that will burnout and become jaded a few years after school.

No offense, but if you think this career is just a job to "be able to put food in your mouth, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back" you might be in the wrong career and might want to re-evaluate why you want to go into vet med in the first place. Most people today have loans they will never be able to be able to pay back. You could say almost the same thing about going into academic research. They have high student loan debt and make very little as a post-doc or a PI starting out. Other careers are in the same boat unless you are doing something like engineering, something where you can make money with just a bachelor's degree. If you want to be a vet, then you should do it. You should consider the cost and how that will affect your life, but if you really want to and can do it, you should. We need passionate people in the field, not people that will burnout and become jaded a few years after school.
Lots of the people who burn out are also the people who have ridiculously high debt. They make very little, like most vets do, and they just see the number climb at an even faster rate from the interest on that loan that started at a higher principle amount. There’s a lot of people who wouldn’t do it again @DVMDream because of their debt and not making a dent in it even though they’re paying tons towards it each month and the people just being how they are.
Cost is and should be the number one factor. Period. Good luck with your decision, but stop trying to tell people that cost shouldn’t be the number one factor for them when it should be.

This was very rude and uncalled for. Being aware of the debt load does not make you somehow less passionate. It means someone is considering how there choices will affect the rest of their life. This profession has one of the highest suicide rates of any medical profession. The debt load plays a huge role in that, along with compassion fatigue.

If you want to graduate with debt that will dictate your life forever, that’s your choice. But don’t encourage other people to or get holier than thou about it.

Lots of the people who burn out are also the people who have ridiculously high debt. They make very little, like most vets do, and they just see the number climb at an even faster rate because the interest on that loan that started at a higher principle amount. There’s a lot of people who wouldn’t do it again @DVMDream because of their debt and not making a dent in it even though they’re paying tons towards it each month and the people just being how they are.
Cost is and should be the number one factor. Period. Good luck with your decision, but stop trying to tell people that cost shouldn’t be the number one factor for them when it should be.
It is okay to disagree. Nobody is wrong, we are just viewing a problem from different angles. Remember, I'm 30. I have 3 degrees and work in research. I know what it is like to do something you hate with a lot of debt and burnout from it. I think, from my personal experience, you should do what you love and want. There may be consequences later and you have to accept that but not everything in the world is about money. If you think that way you are probably not going to have a very fulfilling life.

It is okay to disagree. Nobody is wrong, we are just viewing a problem from different angles. Remember, I'm 30. I have 3 degrees and work in research. I know what it is like to do something you hate with a lot of debt and burnout from it. I think, from my personal experience, you should do what you love and want. There may be consequences later and you have to accept that but not everything in the world is about money. If you think that way you are probably not going to have a very fulfilling life.
Good for you. There’s MANY MANY MANY MANY people on here who would wholeheartedly agree with me that cost is the number one factor who are older than you and career changers too and are now either partway through vet school and seeing that number climb or already are vets and are seeing that number climb and seeing that their payments each month are not even TOUCHING the interest.
Truth is, a lot of the world is about money. It costs money to live. And if a good majority of that is going towards loans for 20-25 years, it’s depressing. 400 THOUSAND dollars of debt is not something you should just be okay with and not have to think hard about.

This was very rude and uncalled for. Being aware of the debt load does not make you somehow less passionate. It means someone is considering how there choices will affect the rest of their life. This profession has one of the highest suicide rates of any medical profession. The debt load plays a huge role in that, along with compassion fatigue.

If you want to graduate with debt that will dictate your life forever, that’s your choice. But don’t encourage other people to or get holier than thou about it.
If I came off as rude, I apologize. I did not mean to. I just think everyone should do what they want. Understand there are consequences, but live a life that makes you happy.

Also consider what happens if you get partway through vet school and end up having to leave, whether due to academics, life circumstances, or health issues. Then you're stuck with vet school levels of debt with no DVM or anything else to really show for it. That's what I'm currently dealing with and I have anxiety over it every single day. I am not even making 1/5th of my current debtload in salary (and I was only in vet school for a year and half and was going IS at one of the cheapest schools). Even if I had stayed... I don't know if it still would have been worth it in the end. As it is, I regret going to vet school and it has financially ruined me pretty much for life. I've seriously considered doing something bad and irreversible because there's no way out of it other than to hold on, pay what I can, and hope and pray that I will be able to cover the massive tax payment at the point at which it's forgiven under the PAYE plan.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, and chances are good once you're in that you will finish, but it's just food for thought. It doesn't happen often, but it is always a possibility.
Thanks for the insight. I'm sorry you are in that position. I've dealt with major suicide in the past due to school decisions (I got a degree in anthropology) and thought about making that irreversible decision too. PM if you ever want to talk. Life is worth living.

Good for you. There’s MANY MANY MANY MANY people on here who would wholeheartedly agree with me that cost is the number one factor who are older than you and career changers too and are now either partway through vet school and seeing that number climb or already are vets and are seeing that number climb and seeing that their payments each month are not even TOUCHING the interest.
Truth is, a lot of the world is about money. It costs money to live. And if a good majority of that is going towards loans for 20-25 years, it’s depressing. 400 THOUSAND dollars of debt is not something you should just be okay with and not have to think hard about.
There are a lot of people that love it and wouldn't have done differently. Different sides of the same coin. I think 400k of student loan debt is NOT OKAY, btw. There are some real problems with the US school system that need changing.

There are a lot of people that love it and wouldn't have done differently. Different sides of the same coin. I think 400k of student loan debt is NOT OKAY, btw. There are some real problems with the US school system that need changing.
Which is why cost should be number 1 and people should really think about if it’s worth 400k in debt.

But that's the thing anything is just a job and hopefully as you progress through this profession you'll realize this as well for your mental well being in the end. The purpose of a job is to do all of those basic things. If you job happens to satisfy other personal needs then great but it doesn't have to. Looking at the real world piece of it at the basis it at the end of the day it is just a job and that's partly why vet med is in trouble. Passion fatigue is a real thing and so many of us end up suffering from it. Unfortunately passion is NOT enough. We have tons of passionate people and the worst of things end up happening to them. This field can consume your life. Yes passion is important but so is being well rounded and having a a realistic view of things. All of these super passionate people you speak of get burnt out and jaded and unfortunately for some end up committing suicide just another aspect of vet med that is so important to understand as to why these things happen.

As for the post doc PI they dont have the monsterous income debt issues we end up having. Yes they have their own issues i dont deny that. I appreciate and respect them so much and they get paid like crap starting but the issues are not as large scale as this profession as a whole. If you work hard and do it right you can be a post-doc or PI with very little debt to income problems other than being paid so little.

As for why I'm a veterinarian I have my own passions and goals. I straight up told one interview committee I wasnt going into vet med if it was going to break me financially and that is partly why I applied to their program. A profound and potentially risky statement maybe but the committee sure appreciated it. Im also going to have less than the average debt and going to be able to live and retire when I'm done. However yes I would've walked away at $200-250k in student loans or more.

As for the never paying back loans thats part of our problem as Americans and a whole other basket of craziness I'm not even going to touch because of how fundamental of an issue it is.

Don't get me wrong I wish you luck in your endeavors but hopefully you understand a little more as to why Ski and so many of us are so adamant about why cost should dictate choice above all else if it's an option.

But that's the thing anything is just a job and hopefully as you progress through this profession you'll realize this as well for your mental well being in the end. The purpose of a job is to do all of those basic things. If you job happens to satisfy other personal needs then great but it doesn't have to. Looking at the real world piece of it at the basis it at the end of the day it is just a job and that's partly why vet med is in trouble. Passion fatigue is a real thing and so many of us end up suffering from it. Unfortunately passion is NOT enough. We have tons of passionate people and the worst of things end up happening to them. This field can consume your life. Yes passion is important but so is being well rounded and having a a realistic view of things. All of these super passionate people you speak of get burnt out and jaded and unfortunately for some end up committing suicide just another aspect of vet med that is so important to understand as to why these things happen.

As for the post doc PI they dont have the monsterous income debt issues we end up having. Yes they have their own issues i dont deny that. I appreciate and respect them so much and they get paid like crap starting but the issues are not as large scale as this profession as a whole. If you work hard and do it right you can be a post-doc or PI with very little debt to income problems other than being paid so little.

As for why I'm a veterinarian I have my own passions and goals. I straight up told one interview committee I wasnt going into vet med if it was going to break me financially and that is partly why I applied to their program. A profound and potentially risky statement maybe but the committee sure appreciated it. Im also going to have less than the average debt and going to be able to live and retire when I'm done. However yes I would've walked away at $200-250k in student loans or more.

As for the never paying back loans thats part of our problem as Americans and a whole other basket of craziness I'm not even going to touch because of how fundamental of an issue it is.

Don't get me wrong I wish you luck in your endeavors but hopefully you understand a little more as to why Ski and so many of us are so adamant about why cost should dictate choice above all else if it's an option.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. You make a lot of good points. I haven't even started vet school yet so I can't really say what it is like on the other side. I just hope I don't end up regretting it and becoming burnt out and jaded at the end of it all. I respect you and everyone else's replies and opinions. I just disagree that cost should be the number one factor for everyone's choice. Everyone is different. Cost is definitely important and after your post, I will definitely take it more into consideration while deciding if I will make the leap and do this or not.

I agree with y’all about cost and I think the stage you are at in your life has a big factor to the amount of debt you will take on too. I am single and moving with a dog. Whereas it seems many people who attend Caribbean schools have families to think of and more reasons to take out more loans than I would to care for their family. Cost is a major factor for me, I have spoken with many vets who have gone this route who are admit about trying stateside, but they don’t regret their decision. Above all I feel like cost and accreditation are the two most important factors for me in this choice, especially living in a state with no vet school and one contract option. I do feel like it is possible to attend SGU and pay off your debt, and I do feel it is possible to not collect 400K in student debt prior to interest. But I do enjoy your perspective and insight so please don’t take this the wrong way!

Sidenote: @SkiOtter do you know anyone off the top of your head whose as SGU and wouldn’t mind answering a question or two?

But you have to be careful with your flight and layovers. Depending on the country your layover is in, you may have to do quarantine there. Just have to be careful with your flight.
Yeah for sure. I'd just make sure it's a direct flight from the US to Grenada, which they have plenty from Miami and such.

No offense, but people NOT recognizing that vet med is your job and not an identifying characteristic of themselves. People claiming it is more than just a job, etc. .. are part of what is leading to this field having the highest suicide rate of any profession.

At the end of the day, being a vet is my job, it pays the bills. .. but it isn't everything and I refuse to break myself for this field. People NEED to realize this. You can love vet med and still recognize this is just a job, just a small part of who you are.

We need to quit telling people this is a calling, it isn't, it is a ****ing job. I think we've driven people so much to the point that if they aren't identifying every aspect of themselves as a vet and just loving every moment that they suck and that is driving up our mental health issues.

They debt to income ratio doesn't even compare to other fields you mentioned, vet med is much higher. Period. Cost is a big factor in this field, I'd never recommend this field if you're going 150k or more in debt. It isn't worth it. We have no clue what government resources will even last that we were all promised. ..we're going to face an economic explosion due to student debt eventually and if you can avoid being caught in it, I highly recommend not being caught in it.

Reactions: 5 users
If everyone is done debating the cost of vet school, which I'm sure we all know is an exorbitant amount....

I interviewed with SGU in September, a few weeks later I got an email letting me know I should hear in 4-6 weeks. On the 6th week I hadn't heard anything, so I emailed Krista and she told me I should hear by the end of November. Just slightly freaking out here, anyone have a similar situation?

Reactions: 3 users
If everyone is done debating the cost of vet school, which I'm sure we all know is an exorbitant amount....

I interviewed with SGU in September, a few weeks later I got an email letting me know I should hear in 4-6 weeks. On the 6th week I hadn't heard anything, so I emailed Krista and she told me I should hear by the end of November. Just slightly freaking out here, anyone have a similar situation?

Yeap. Interviewed 9/21 got the “final determination” email on 9/24, still haven’t heard anything yet...

So I interviewed in October, and when I received my interview offer they stated the committee requested that I get 200 hours of large animal experience by next August. Is there anyone who has experienced the same? Should I expect to be put on a waitlist until the hours are completed or what should I expect from the final determination email?

So I interviewed in October, and when I received my interview offer they stated the committee requested that I get 200 hours of large animal experience by next August. Is there anyone who has experienced the same? Should I expect to be put on a waitlist until the hours are completed or what should I expect from the final determination email?

I got that request as well. Krista told me that you can still be accepted you just have to get that done by August 1st. You haven’t received the “final determination” email?

Last edited:
Going through last years thread it looks like there have been people in the past who have had the same request for additional hours!

I interviewed back at the end of September and she said I would hear back 4-6 weeks. After 4 weeks I emailed her and she said I would get a notice in the next two weeks. Two weeks pass by and nothing so my impatient self emails her again to ask for an update and she says it will be an additional 2 weeks. Now it has been over 2 weeks and still haven’t heard anything. I’m not going to keep pestering her for an update but at this point I’m just focusing on the other schools and interviews I have coming up :p

I got that request as well. Krista told me that you can still be accepted you just have to get that done by August 1st. You haven’t received the “final determination” email?

Nope not yet! But I only just hit the 4 week mark and you haven’t even heard from your September interview so I’m not panicking quite yet

So I just got an email that my determination is pending another letter of rec from a DVM and now I'm having a heart attack. I feel like this is not a good sign for me at all. I had 2 vets send in letters, and I know they were both favorable so I'm concerned. The only other vets i've worked with I haven't even seen in 6 years, what the hell do i do? Those vets work in my home town so I'm going to email and ask if I can shadow them when I'm home for a month over break, but do I tell them in my email that I need another letter or do I just spring that on them a few weeks in?