Also consider what happens if you get partway through vet school and end up having to leave, whether due to academics, life circumstances, or health issues. Then you're stuck with vet school levels of debt with no DVM or anything else to really show for it. That's what I'm currently dealing with and I have anxiety over it every single day. I am not even making 1/5th of my current debtload in salary (and I was only in vet school for a year and half and was going IS at one of the cheapest schools). Even if I had stayed... I don't know if it still would have been worth it in the end. As it is, I regret going to vet school and it has financially ruined me pretty much for life. I've seriously considered doing something bad and irreversible because there's no way out of it other than to hold on, pay what I can, and hope and pray that I will be able to cover the massive tax payment at the point at which it's forgiven under the PAYE plan.
I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, and chances are good once you're in that you will finish, but it's just food for thought. It doesn't happen often, but it is always a possibility.