SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Boooooo FTB. I'm frustrated with you.

Members don't see this ad.

i feel like SGU has been light years SLOWER than they were last year on all of this stuff :( my whole start to acceptance was like 10 weeks, and while it felt like forever at the time, i know it really wasnt.

hang in there guys! :luck:

Seriously, my email checking has become more and more frantic. My interviewer said I should hear back in a week or two after the interview,it'll be two weeks at the end of this week...

Good luck to all of you who are in the same boat, well get through this horrible waiting eventually! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, my email checking has become more and more frantic. My interviewer said I should hear back in a week or two after the interview,it'll be two weeks at the end of this week...

Good luck to all of you who are in the same boat, well get through this horrible waiting eventually! :scared:

for what it's worth, last year they seemed to be pretty darn quick at getting back to people and interviewers may have heard that and are passing on the advice. this year it seems like they are taking forever (i was told 4-6 weeks at least last year). just relax, take a deep breath-they're being pokey for everyone and it doesnt mean anything!:xf:

Still no info updated since the 15th of June.
Freaking out here.

Sigh, I know you say there's no reason to freak out, but this process is designed to make you freak out.

I got it !!!!! :love: but I'm on the waiting list for August, so all of you whole are waiting to hear back, I can at least tell you that if you applied to August you'll probably be on the waiting list (but it's not that long yet, I'm number 4) but either way they will give you a spot for January so HURRAY!!

Crap. Great. A wait list. Dammit. Congrats on your acceptance, though!

I recieved a rejection letter through the mail today. :( There is always next year though!! Good luck to all those that have already been accepted and to those still waiting to here. To those who have been put on the alternative list, I wish you the best of luck, and to all those that have recieved a rejection letter, never give up hope!

I recieved a rejection letter through the mail today. :( There is always next year though!! Good luck to all those that have already been accepted and to those still waiting to here. To those who have been put on the alternative list, I wish you the best of luck, and to all those that have recieved a rejection letter, never give up hope!
OMG

I'm sorry ashley5jess! Definitely see if they do any type of file review so that you can find out what it is they'd like you to improve on. Did they interview you?

:scared: <---- This is me, after having seen ashley5jess's post in the "what are my chances" thread. If she can't get in to SGU, I'm toast.

I didn't get an interview, and i'm definitely going to see if they will do a file review. (I'm sure they will, they still are an amazing school in my books even if I didn't get in) Once I find out what they said I will post here and let you guys know!

:soexcited: Finally all my stuff showed up as "received" on the status page.

....Well almost everything. It looks as though my 2nd LOR writer never sent his in. Time for the pester e-mail. This is what I was worried about/why I wanted to know if everything had gotten there. Pester mode: GO!

Still reaally nervous I'll be rejected though :scared:

:( sorry to hear that but the important thing is like you say to try again, never give up! Just this winterI went through a ****ty time when I got refused from my regional vet school yet again and was seriously thinking I might have to give up on my dreams. Never give up! You'll make it eventually, just keep doing the school thing, upping your grades and gaining experience and apply again next year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Confirmed today that 2nd LoR writer did not mail it in. He claims it was sent today. :mad:

Something about faculty free-spirits and the beginning of summer term is likely at fault.
Shame that SGU didn't get back to me about this and it looks like I won't be going to review until the second letter arrives. (Not that SGU staff ever answer their phone or my e-mails.:mad:)

Confirmed today that 2nd LoR writer did not mail it in. He claims it was sent today. :mad:

Something about faculty free-spirits and the beginning of summer term is likely at fault.
Shame that SGU didn't get back to me about this and it looks like I won't be going to review until the second letter arrives. (Not that SGU staff ever answer their phone or my e-mails.:mad:)

hmm really? they used to review/interview without a second but had to have it to make decisions. maybe it's changed though

hmm really? they used to review/interview without a second but had to have it to make decisions. maybe it's changed though
Well, they may, but my online app says "Incomplete for review" and the only thing that's missing is that LOR.

Not that I ever can reach a real live person. They may just be busy, but geez.

Well, they may, but my online app says "Incomplete for review" and the only thing that's missing is that LOR.

Not that I ever can reach a real live person. They may just be busy, but geez.

that must be so frustrating. either the online stuff wasn't available when i applied or i had no clue about it, but that would have driven me nuts!

Yay! The status page shows they got my missing LOR today.

Boo! They didn't return my messages from this week or last, and my status page still says "Incomplete for final review."

Aagh, the waiting.:scared:

Yay! The status page shows they got my missing LOR today.

Boo! They didn't return my messages from this week or last, and my status page still says "Incomplete for final review."

Aagh, the waiting.:scared:

Well... It could be worse!!! Fingers crossed.

Thanks guys!
jmo- the waiting is torture LOL.
Wildflower- I'm totally afraid I'm gonna get grilled on my sihtty grades on O-chem and why I think the masters program is a good idea.

Gotta start prepping the essays so I at least have an idea to start with. Everyone says it's laid back. I'm so afraid I'll look stuffy if I wear my black interview suit/red shirt.

So much hope and fear all at once.

Thanks guys!
Wildflower- I'm totally afraid I'm gonna get grilled on my sihtty grades on O-chem and why I think the masters program is a good idea.

Gotta start prepping the essays so I at least have an idea to start with. Everyone says it's laid back. I'm so afraid I'll look stuffy if I wear my black interview suit/red shirt.

I'd go for a professional but slightly on the casual side look. Better to be over dressed then underdressed. Though my interview was literally in my interviewers supper small by the water cottage home and I'm pretty sure (if memory serves me right- since I was stressed) that he had shorts and a t-shirt on haha. Just be honest about any classes you had a hard time with. I think they care more about what you learned from the experience then the actual grades. My Cegep grades weren't amazing and I honestly told him well yeah I was kinda being a dumb kid and didint realize what it would take to get into vet school, and since I've realized that I've worked my but off etc.

You'll do great!

Thanks guys!

Dude, I liked that outfit.... it was about the only time I wanted to be a brunette b/c you looked amazing in it!!!!

Just saw that you posted recently on here FTB and had to come check to see what was going on. CONGRATS!!!! So happy you got an interview!!!!

:highfive:

I got it !!!!! :love: but I'm on the waiting list for August, so all of you whole are waiting to hear back, I can at least tell you that if you applied to August you'll probably be on the waiting list (but it's not that long yet, I'm number 4) but either way they will give you a spot for January so HURRAY!!

Congrats even if waitlisted :)

You're making me blush! :love:

We shall see I guess, but if it ends up being an interview at a coffee shop, I might opt for slacks instead of the skirt.

you can't over dress for the interview. Dean Sis told a story once of interviewing one of my classmates in TX. The student showed up to Dean Sis' house in a full suit even though it was 110 degrees outside, and then they went to a sandwich shop for the interview. He said that he was so incredibly impressed that the guy went to the extra lengths to wear the suit despite the heat and the interview location.

i'm sure whatever you choose to wear will be fine :) just pick something you feel great in!

You're making me blush! :love:

We shall see I guess, but if it ends up being an interview at a coffee shop, I might opt for slacks instead of the skirt.

Congrats on the interview and stay calm and cool, mine was pretty laid back and just make sure they think you can handle the island life :) Afterall it isn't so bad, though this semester i get to experience the rainy season.

FTB!!! WAHOOO!!!! Congrats! Sorry it took me so long- haven't been on in a few. Interview is great- veeeeery easy. My interviewer was in his scrubs :p SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

Tentative interview set for next Sunday. Could have been today but I was so busy working comic-con this weekend I didn't reply to Friday's e-mail till Sunday morning. Stupid FTB is stupid. Oh well, gives me time to prepare and get my suit dry-cleaned etc.

Hey Guys,
Been following this thread for awhile as I await my response from SGU. Its been 2 weeks since my interview and and twiddling my thumbs right now. This is killing me I WANT TO KNOW! I sent in my full application May 30th for the August 2012 class.

*bump*

Cue the post-interview jitters/waiting.

I think everything went well but you never know, I may have seemed like a serial killer. :laugh:
I was happy to find they were not too concerned with my grades. But I also struggled to find something to tell them that is not on my application. As I poured everything into it, and my odd hobby is in my diversity statement. So, yeah, that's on my app. I'm worried I came off as conceited/ preppy. I also worried that they asked med if I would consider the foundations semester if offered that, or what I would do if only offered the MPH. To which I said, I don't think I can do the MPH in VPH as a non-dual degree?!

I bet they have to ask that, but :scared: I wish I'd had the experience some people do where the interviewer says "I'm recommending they accept you" at the end, or they chat/bond for hours. My interviewer looked like he had had a busy day and was glad that it wasn't too long of an interview. Oh well, he seemed genuinely confident that I could handle the academics, I hope that's a positive note.

I'm sure you did awesome!!!!! How long before you hear something?

I'm sure you did awesome!!!!! How long before you hear something?
Dunno, seems like average is 2 weeks, but idk if it will take longer because I applied for dual degree DVM/MPH (they evaluate for DVM and then if accepted they evaluate for dual degree.) It also depends on how quickly my interviewer turns in the forms he has, if they go snail mail, then it's minimum 7 days from day he sends before they can even look at the stuff. If he e-mails or faxes it could go faster, assuming he sends it out.

Dunno, seems like average is 2 weeks, but idk if it will take longer because I applied for dual degree DVM/MPH (they evaluate for DVM and then if accepted they evaluate for dual degree.) It also depends on how quickly my interviewer turns in the forms he has, if they go snail mail, then it's minimum 7 days from day he sends before they can even look at the stuff. If he e-mails or faxes it could go faster, assuming he sends it out.

Well that's kind of frustrating and would drive me crazy!

Well good luck girl!!!!! I'm rooting for you.

(did you talk about crazy fish story??)

Well good luck girl!!!!! I'm rooting for you.

(did you talk about crazy fish story??)
I did not.
I got as far as intoxicated Asian ketchup bottle. He chuckled and that was about all we got in to about dispatch, because he seemed to redirect and was not at all interested in SB/ Isla Vista besides noting that he knew what it was. :( I wanted to tell the fish story too. But you gotta warm them up for it and he wasn't going there.

Shame, I felt a bit reserved, conversational but not in a chummy kind of way like everyone describes their SGU interviews as. We were in a low lit office, he was just finishing a long day and his techs kept coming in with questions/ animals. (I particularly enjoyed the tech who came in to ask about something on notes for a euthanasia pt. She actually asked him "Whats ke-fal-ic (phonetic pronunciation, that's what it sounded like she said) and do we charge for that?" And he politely told her that no, cephalic just meant which vein he had used.:rolleyes: ) I was not as relaxed/confident as at my Western interview, which is why I'm a little worried.

Really? Ke phallic?

I'm sorry. But you never know what's going to happen!!!

Ok. Finally got an answer and they didn't approve my appeal :( Which means I just took a semester's worth of science classes for nothing and am paying out the butt for it. Grrrr. Anyway, I am still accepted into the foundation program, but it's too late for me to start in August, so I'll be starting in January. At least I finally have an answer and can start planning my life! FTB, I'm rooting for you! I hope we get to be classmates!

Ok. Finally got an answer and they didn't approve my appeal :( Which means I just took a semester's worth of science classes for nothing and am paying out the butt for it. Grrrr. Anyway, I am still accepted into the foundation program, but it's too late for me to start in August, so I'll be starting in January. At least I finally have an answer and can start planning my life! FTB, I'm rooting for you! I hope we get to be classmates!

Boo :(:(
At least you have an answer, that's a start! I am :xf::xf::xf: that we can be classmates as well. :love:

Those of you accepted into the Foundation program (Congrats!!)........I'd love to hear your story. I am applying to SGU for Aug 2013. I graduated from college in 2003 with a pretty bad GPA. I have started retaking my science pre-reqs and am doing great in them. I also am taking the GRE in about one month. Did you apply to the regular program first? What was the reasoning behind getting into the foundation program? Please pm me. I am trying to figure out what my chances are for getting into SGU whether it be the foundation program or regular program.....I just want to get in!
Thanks!!!!