SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bugger bugger BUGGER.

Seems like everyone is taking the next two weeks off at SGU. Nothing to be expected from the committee in any way until some date (vague date, will not tell me anything about when committee meets) AFTER the GD 13th of August.

It seems my scheduling the interview for last week rather than taking the time off and missing volunteer time to go down the Monday prior made me miss the committee for this month and now they're on bloody holiday.

Oh, and the August class is full. I'll "likely be rolled into January admissions" not "you have been rolled in" another vague answer.

At least they responded to my e-mail this time. But now the agony of "you shouldn't hear anything, but you might" :confused: Way to leave me hanging.

In other words. FTB is frustrated, as she was led to believe she would hear sooner. And is mad at co-workers at the stupid job she wants to quit, but can't because she doesn't know what she'll be doing next year.

Members don't see this ad.

For all of you who are accepted to the January 2013 incoming class, I got impatient and made a facebook group called SGU SVM incoming January 2013 (class of 2017) come join and meet your classmates :)

for those of you waiting for responses, the end is near! good luck, we're all rooting for you! :D

Those of you accepted into the Foundation program (Congrats!!)........I'd love to hear your story. I am applying to SGU for Aug 2013. I graduated from college in 2003 with a pretty bad GPA. I have started retaking my science pre-reqs and am doing great in them. I also am taking the GRE in about one month. Did you apply to the regular program first? What was the reasoning behind getting into the foundation program? Please pm me. I am trying to figure out what my chances are for getting into SGU whether it be the foundation program or regular program.....I just want to get in!
Thanks!!!!

Hey im applying to SGU for August 2013 too! But im applying for the pre vet programme cause my results ain't that fantastic. Have you sent in your application yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bugger bugger BUGGER.

Seems like everyone is taking the next two weeks off at SGU. Nothing to be expected from the committee in any way until some date (vague date, will not tell me anything about when committee meets) AFTER the GD 13th of August.

It seems my scheduling the interview for last week rather than taking the time off and missing volunteer time to go down the Monday prior made me miss the committee for this month and now they're on bloody holiday.

Oh, and the August class is full. I'll "likely be rolled into January admissions" not "you have been rolled in" another vague answer.

At least they responded to my e-mail this time. But now the agony of "you shouldn't hear anything, but you might" :confused: Way to leave me hanging.

In other words. FTB is frustrated, as she was led to believe she would hear sooner. And is mad at co-workers at the stupid job she wants to quit, but can't because she doesn't know what she'll be doing next year.

I've been emailing them like crazy, now i know why no one's replying me:mad:
Are you a pre vet student from SGU? I'm applying there right now and i keep emailing them regarding the application process but i haven't received any reply at all.

I've been emailing them like crazy, now i know why no one's replying me:mad:
Are you a pre vet student from SGU? I'm applying there right now and i keep emailing them regarding the application process but i haven't received any reply at all.

I'm an applicant to the DVM program for Aug '12 (now Jan '13) Krista Nilson is on vacation with a large portion of the office also out. If you have submitted an application, she is who you talk to if you are from the US. If you are international it's Allison Enoch. She was answering Krista's e-mail a few weeks ago.

If you haven't yet hit submit, you are probably talking with Jeff Bates. You can also call him toll free, sometimes that is easier but he is likely on vacation too.

Are you applying to the undergrad pre-vet program on the island? If you have a bachelors, foundations is a better choice.

I'm an applicant to the DVM program for Aug '12 (now Jan '13) Krista Nilson is on vacation with a large portion of the office also out. If you have submitted an application, she is who you talk to if you are from the US. If you are international it's Allison Enoch. She was answering Krista's e-mail a few weeks ago.

If you haven't yet hit submit, you are probably talking with Jeff Bates. You can also call him toll free, sometimes that is easier but he is likely on vacation too.

Are you applying to the undergrad pre-vet program on the island? If you have a bachelors, foundations is a better choice.

Ah yes, I received an email from allison enoch about 2 weeks ago, she told me to send in my recent qualifications etc to her so she can advice me on which course to apply for (pre-vet/dvm). I sent it to her twice but still no reply since 2 weeks. Guessing she's gone on vacation
too?

I'm from Singapore, and i'm doing my A levels (pre-university) right now, will be graduating in a couple of months time. So i most probably will be applying for the undergrad pre vet
programme.

For all of you who are accepted to the January 2013 incoming class, I got impatient and made a facebook group called SGU SVM incoming January 2013 (class of 2017) come join and meet your classmates :)

for those of you waiting for responses, the end is near! good luck, we're all rooting for you! :D
I'm applying for jan 2013 but I can't find the Facebook page you made. How many people have been accepted so far?

I'm applying for jan 2013 but I can't find the Facebook page you made. How many people have been accepted so far?
I don't know how many exactly though I made the page for students accepted into January semester and there are three of us on it so far. Though there are likely several more. Back in July when I was accepted I had applied for August and was on the waiting list (number 4) so I think they have been accepting students to the January semester since then... Good luck hope to see you down there :)

so this is where all the frantic applicants have been posting. looks like i've been in the wrong section of the forums this whole time. i felt like i was all alone in the SGU "sponsored forum" haha! anyway.. congrats again! ill see you in January 2013 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be a silly question but where do I get access to my passport details page??? I was told that I have to send it in with my supplemental if I apply...

Might be a silly question but where do I get access to my passport details page??? I was told that I have to send it in with my supplemental if I apply...

your passport? (for the details) other than the actual passport itself, i dont know where else you'd look. when i applied 2 years ago :)eek:) i just sent them a note saying that i did not currently have a passport and would be applying for one if accepted and they were fine with that.

First page of your passport, with the picture. Basically the only part of your passport that has details that they'd be interested in.

hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors

Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club

i definitely think you have a shot! you also appear to have a nice well rounded application too which SGU definitely looks for - they like to look at more than numbers right off the bat. i say apply and see what happens with the pending schools, since it is a lengthy process might as well get it started!

obviously i'm biased but SGU is a great school and you get so much more out of your 4 years living there on that island!

I'm unbiased and I agree :) The SGU graduate I interviewed with told me SGU cares more about experience and such (being well-rounded) than GPA. Not that GPA doesn't matter to them of course, but they don't put as much weight into it as most schools. I like your chances!

I agree that you have a good shot at St. George. However, It seems as though your experience is not that varied. If you can try to get some experience with different types of animals, every little bit counts. I have emailed my schools every now and then to update my experience hours, so you if you have anymore since the time of your application send them to the schools you applied to. Another relatively quick boost if you decide to apply again to the next round would be to take a class and improve your GRE scores. They are decent now, but getting them up a few points would really help your application. That is just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

Hello! Im going to sgu in the fall, and I was wondering if any of you are doing a dual degree DVM/MSc. Im contemplating doing that but would like to hear from any of you about the work load and such before i make a decision.

Hello! Im going to sgu in the fall, and I was wondering if any of you are doing a dual degree DVM/MSc. Im contemplating doing that but would like to hear from any of you about the work load and such before i make a decision.

I'm in the MPH if you need basic questions, we have one other 1st termer in an MSc.

I'm in the MPH if you need basic questions, we have one other 1st termer in an MSc.

Can you tell me about the work load? Are you taking your MPH classes with the DVM ones or will you do those during the summer?

you can definitely decide about the MSc after starting the DVM program. a student who started fall 2011 with me interviewed and picked up an MSc a few weeks into the our semester and continued with it through last spring.

Glad you posted! I've been wondering if there was anyone on here doing the DVM/MPH!
I am applying for it now, but I was wondering how the workload is having extra classes to take during the fall/spring terms along with the regular DVM courses? Overall, do you like the program so far?