SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people typically bring down comforters, storage accessories, housewares from home or do they buy those things in Grenada?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm bringing down some storage accessories that fold up easily into a suitcase. I also bought bed risers to store my luggage under my bed. I'm going to buy bedding there.

I'm also in waiting (prevet year 3) with status Final Review. The daily multiple checking of email is driving me nuts! But I can't wait to get things going ;) it seems like once, and if, I get that acceptance letter (email?) there'll be a bazillion things to do! Crossing my fingers!

Im crossing my fingers for you too. Email checking is driving me nuts too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people typically bring down comforters, storage accessories, housewares from home or do they buy those things in Grenada?

the short answer to bedding is be flexible. be able to survive if it's 68 in your room but be able to peel off if its 75. i brought sheets and a moderate weight full size blanket (one of those really fluffy ones) and then brought my favorite personal fleece blankets to supplement.

packing things into small plastic boxes coming down is always a good idea. i decided i wanted some place to store all of my pens, pencils, bathroom things, etc. so i brought 2 small storage boxes (maybe 10x6x3?) and then 2 mini crates (maybe 8x6x6).

i also managed to bring all of my kitchen stuff except a pot when i came. plastic plates, bowls, cutlery, camping cutting board, 2 sharp knives, measuring cups, hand towels, sponges, cooking utensils. you can certainly buy stuff in grenada, it's just more expensive with fewer options (however sometimes you can get cheap stuff from other students).

i will throw out there that the only things i bought my first term were a small notebook, a ream of printer paper (because I like to write on blank paper), a toaster oven from a classmate, and pot. everything else came with me in my 100lbs of checked luggage and 50lbs of carry on.

Wow Jmo you're such an efficient packer! I feel like I have 100 lb worth of clothes alone :( my friend said leave the shoes, I can just Skype with them when i miss them :D good to kow about kitchen wares and storage boxes, I'm obsessed with keeping my little space organized, especially if I have to share it with someone!

Can anyone tell me what the deposit for the foundations program is. Im still waiting to hear back but if i dont hear back until the last minute i want to be prepared.

Well... I got my acceptance email this morning for the August of 2012 class. Now I am in panic mode, since I had really thought I'd be getting off the wait list for Oklahoma by now and would be planning my easy move down there in the fall. So,now here I am making all new plans. Any advice on what to do first would be great lol, I feel like my wheels are spinning! Also, please tell me its normal to be freaking out about all these student loans we will have.

Well... I got my acceptance email this morning for the August of 2012 class. Now I am in panic mode, since I had really thought I'd be getting off the wait list for Oklahoma by now and would be planning my easy move down there in the fall. So,now here I am making all new plans. Any advice on what to do first would be great lol, I feel like my wheels are spinning! Also, please tell me its normal to be freaking out about all these student loans we will have.

freaking out over loans:thumbup: did my fair share of that last summer!

the top two things you should jump on immediately would be make sure to have a valid passport and figure out your plane ticket. everything else can be digested and taken at an easier pace :)

Phew, great points, checking on passport and tickets now. I have a passport card for driving through Canada but if I remember correctly you need to book to fly anywhere. Can you give me a run down on the living situation. Required to live on campus first semester, you can get out of this if you have pets/kids. As a student, was it worth it to live on campus to meet people/get familiar with the place?
Then do you see a lot of people moving off campus? Any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!

Phew, great points, checking on passport and tickets now. I have a passport card for driving through Canada but if I remember correctly you need to book to fly anywhere. Can you give me a run down on the living situation. Required to live on campus first semester, you can get out of this if you have pets/kids. As a student, was it worth it to live on campus to meet people/get familiar with the place?
Then do you see a lot of people moving off campus? Any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!

yes, you need a full passport

yes yes yes totally worth living on campus, most of your classmates will be on campus term 1, and most of them are in the same dorm. after that it was split. some stayed on, some left. more stayed because of the ability to guarantee on campus housing for term 2 (new as of aug 2011)

Members don't see this ad :)

When you got your email did you check and see if your status changed on the application page. Ive been checking them both multiple times a day.

You are so helpful! What's the run down of getting a good flight? I will have to do a TON of flying in August, as I am in Alaska for the summer... could I be any farther? But I am planning on visiting the BF and flying out of Denver, CO to Grenada. On some brief searching, it seems that it will be challenging to get a flight from Miami to Grenada that doesn't have a big layover in Port of Spain. THANK YOU again :)

When you got your email did you check and see if your status changed on the application page. Ive been checking them both multiple times a day.

Well, you see I tried to log in to SGU on my phone, and had to try about 7 passwords, and got locked out of the system haha. So I can't actually log in anymore, I need to email someone about that. So all I know is I went to my interview the last week of April, and woke up to an email from Krista this morning. So, I am sure you will hear good news soon!!

As I understand it the undergrad dorms are more than one person per room. How many roommates do you get exactly in one room? I've seen different form tours on YouTube where some rooms have bunk beds and like 6 people to a room, and some dorms have one 2 people to a room. Is there any special way to request a single room? I'd really like to live on campus but would also like to have my own little space ;)
This checking my email a million times a day thing is driving me nuts, Krista said I should hear by the ending of this week and it's only Wednesday!!! Ah!!!

Well, you see I tried to log in to SGU on my phone, and had to try about 7 passwords, and got locked out of the system haha. So I can't actually log in anymore, I need to email someone about that. So all I know is I went to my interview the last week of April, and woke up to an email from Krista this morning. So, I am sure you will hear good news soon!!

I hope so. I had my interview then too but it was for the last semester of Foundations program so i don't know if that is a different committee or not.

As I understand it the undergrad dorms are more than one person per room. How many roommates do you get exactly in one room? I've seen different form tours on YouTube where some rooms have bunk beds and like 6 people to a room, and some dorms have one 2 people to a room. Is there any special way to request a single room? I'd really like to live on campus but would also like to have my own little space ;)
This checking my email a million times a day thing is driving me nuts, Krista said I should hear by the ending of this week and it's only Wednesday!!! Ah!!!

not entirely sure how it works for the foundations program, but i'm 99% sure its doubles or suites because it's a post-grad pre-professional program, and not an undergrad program.

most 1st term students share a main bedroom with 2 beds, desks, closets, and then a small kitchenette/bathroom with a 2nd student. not ideal for personal space, but i think ,most students find it survivable for 4 months. some luck into 3 person suites with individual bedrooms and a shared kitchenette and bathroom/shower

If you go to the sgu site and go to accepted students then housing then housing forms then your school it tells you how many people would be in your room. for foundations its doubles in true blue.

Last edited:
Oh that makes me want to cry! It says prevet students get stuck. The triple occupancy dorms (9 people!). I wonder if I can request a room mate and get into a double somehow?

I got my acceptance email into the Foundation program today. So excited.

Congratulations!!! So excited for you! I'm still checking mine every five minutes :(

I received an email today saying that they were considering me for an interview; how long after you all got this email did you hear whether you got an interview? Sorry for the crazy run-on sentence!

Has anyone ever emailed Krista about the status of the schools decision? I feel insolent/nervous about doing that but she last told me I'd they should have a decision for me in about a week and it's been 2 weeks :( Not only am I driving myself nuts with constant email checking but my family and friends ask me several times a day if I got the email yet. Just wondering if anyone's ever done that or should I just be patient? Any advice would be so appreciated!!!

Has anyone ever emailed Krista about the status of the schools decision? I feel insolent/nervous about doing that but she last told me I'd they should have a decision for me in about a week and it's been 2 weeks :( Not only am I driving myself nuts with constant email checking but my family and friends ask me several times a day if I got the email yet. Just wondering if anyone's ever done that or should I just be patient? Any advice would be so appreciated!!!

I asked her about my status as well, but i only did the one time before i received my acceptance about a week or two later.

How long after you sent your deposit did you receive your login information?

Just email Krista. They know it's stressful and they never stand impatience. It won't hurt your chances of getting in so just ask her what's up!

Thanks Pearl! That was my biggest worry is that it might somehow hurt my chances :( But August is just 2 months away and I don't have a backup school. I've never technically asked what's up, I just noticed a few things were weird on my application status screen so we've chatted about that but I think I'll drop her a line or call her Monday.

Ugh, so I bit the bullet and emailed Krista. She said I would hear within 2 weeks (even though 2 weeks ago she said I'd hear within the week). I feel like I'm really going to be rushing in July if I get accepted!

That's ok. Im friends with some students who had to do that and they got by just fine. The school and facebook group are really helpful with answering any questions you may have. You'll just have a busy July :)

I must say, now that I've had some good time to digest this acceptance, chat with family and the serious boy friend, do some research on the island, read almost every post on the doctor in the sand blog ;), and watch some YouTube videos of Grenada, I AM SO EXCITED for SGU!!!!!!!!! Sent in my deposit and housing forms and bought my ticket! I am feeling really positive about this! Keeping my fingers crossed for those of you still waiting to hear!

Hi everyone! So I applied to the DVM program at SGU just a little while ago and found out yesterday that I have been granted an interview. ahh I'm excited and nervous! Can anyone whose had an interview recently let me know what it's like, what to expect? I sooo hope I get it SGU looks like the perfect school!

It took a while for me to get mine, i was in full panic mode with ~ 2 weeks before i had to leave.. so you guys have plenty of time :)

Also i find the more time there is for the semester the longer you wait to find out. I had an interview dec 3 found out the 7th had to have deposit in the 10th then waited and waited for my email info ... but it all worked out just fine

hey! I dunno if anyone else has asked about this..i might have missed it it:oops:.. but I was wondering if anyone had any extra info on their dual program?? better yet is anyone in it?? The whole reason I started looking into their school is b/c I'm really interested in their masters in conservation medicine!:D:D
:xf:

I'm interested in that too. I second the question.

I'm applying to the dual degree, but I don't know much about the conservation med emphasis.

Add to that that I am truly the latecomer to the par-tay. I will probably be submitting my app on Monday for August haha.

I'm interested in that too. I second the question.

not to be super creepy..but hey what the hell!!:D im pretty sure we use to volunteer together at FSU! hahah so hi!

I'm applying to the dual degree, but I don't know much about the conservation med emphasis.

Add to that that I am truly the latecomer to the par-tay. I will probably be submitting my app on Monday for August haha.

which one are you interested in if you don't mind me asking?? My understanding is that you take the classes along with the dvm courses and the only difference is that you have to stay your first two summers???

which one are you interested in if you don't mind me asking?? My understanding is that you take the classes along with the dvm courses and the only difference is that you have to stay your first two summers???
I am applying to the MPH in Veterinary Public Health. I had not heard, nor can I find mention on the website that it requires you to stay over the summers?

I am applying to the MPH in Veterinary Public Health. I had not heard, nor can I find mention on the website that it requires you to stay over the summers?

Thats the thing, they briefly mentioned it in a brochure they sent to me and thats it lol soo im hoping to get a little more than that..you right for the master in public health it never mentions anything about staying during the summer:).. but on the other hand it does mention that you stay and extra six months total if you do a master in science...so its just a bit confusing:thumbdown: lol

yeah they do require a pass-port sized picture with your name and date and birth on the back... the rest of the info I have about applying is a little out dated I think b/c I think its before you could apply for them vmca

yeah thats what I tried to check but it didn't say at least no where I could find it

X amount of weeks in they have a lecture on it. The different areas speak a little about it and how it fits in and what is offered and give you the department contact info if you have more questions or are interested. I believe 2-4 of my class got in and/or planning on it (know one for sure got into the mph)

Do you know if I need to send them my passport page/ passport sized photo by mail? The online application doesn't say anything about it.

Ideally you mail it but toward the end they were like if you haven't mailed it yet you can email it as well as the experience list

From what i got out of a lecture on it, you stay the first two summers (bc you start in august) and some classes are taken along with the dvm and it appears to be extended a bit beyond but worst case you finish it up at home though they'd prefer you to stay there and do it i believe

Ideally you mail it but toward the end they were like if you haven't mailed it yet you can email it as well as the experience list

Is the experience list like a CV? There was a section in the online application for volunteer experience/employment that I filled out. If they want a resume/curriculum vitae as well I can stick that in the mail with the passport photo/passport page on Monday.

Jeffrey answered one of my questions but not the others. Thanks for your help!