Shadowing peds oncologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read over similar forums, however a lot were outdated so I was looking for a more up-to-date answer, maybe from someone who had a similar experience recently. I am only a freshman in undergrad, however I was given the opportunity to shadow a peds oncologist, which is super meaningful to me considering my baby cousin has cancer, so I wasn't going to pass it up even though it is still early. I shadowed a neurosurgeon in-clinic last year, but I feel that this may be quite a different experience. She said I will be following her to bone marrow transplant rounds as well as onc/heme rounds. If anyone could give me some tips on this (what to wear, questions to ask, how to act, etc.), I'd really appreciate it as I am super nervous considering this is my first shadowing experience of undergrad :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dress professionally, turn off your phone, be respectful, and stay quiet while she's examining and speaking to patients (hold your questions until it's just you and her). Read up a bit on what people in her job do, and ask about the best parts of her job as well as the challenges. And have fun! This is a great opportunity, and it's fantastic that you have the chance to watch someone in a specialty that's near and dear to you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly what @HomeSkool said. I extensively shadowed oncologists (both peds and adult), and this is a time where you want to embody that word: be their shadow. Quietly stand beside the physician (or wherever they want you) and simply follow the conversation; smile when appropriate, don't when it's not, and relax!

I'll repeat what was said above for the sake of drilling it in, but never interrupt any conversation between the physician and the patient. Be kind and mindful, and everything will go well. Good luck:)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@begood95 @HomeSkool Being that I am a freshman, I have only taken gen chem in terms of pre-reqs (however I took anatomy, path, lots of bio and such in HS), do you think I will be expected to know any specifics? I don't want to seem like a total idiot if she asks questions or anything, so would it be a good idea to brush up on any topics related to her field?

@begood95 @HomeSkool Being that I am a freshman, I have only taken gen chem in terms of pre-reqs (however I took anatomy, path, lots of bio and such in HS), do you think I will be expected to know any specifics? I don't want to seem like a total idiot if she asks questions or anything, so would it be a good idea to brush up on any topics related to her field?
Absolutely not. The physician will not expect anything from you! You're their to learn. If anything, you'll be the one asking her questions. Which as mentioned above, there's an appropriate time and place to do so.

Reactions: 2 users