Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nessiegeo

Reaction score
I am a Sophomore at my university now, wishing to pursue Medical School in the nearby future. I have been actively trying to collect every single shadowing experience I can and thanks to my husband contacts (he is a FM resident), I have been able to get some hours. So far I have shadowed a FM doctor (only 4 or 5 times I think) and a ER doctor (currently). However, I would like to get exposure to other specialties, especially Surgery. My husband is amazing and said he can ask some people at his work, but at the same time that I am extremely grateful, I also would like to try stablishing this first contact by myself. What do you think? Should I take his help or just contact other doctors on my own? If so, how do I do that? Should I email them? Would it be too bold? I truly appreciate your answers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You only need 50 hours total of shadowing as long as you have some primary care(you do), so you seem good. If you really want to shadow a surgeon take all of the help you can get, especially during Covid. There is nothing wrong with using your contacts. You are lucky to have them.
How are your other ECs going?

Reactions: 2 users
You only need 50 hours total of shadowing as long as you have some primary care(you do), so you seem good. If you really want to shadow a surgeon take all of the help you can get, especially during Covid. There is nothing wrong with using your contacts. You are lucky to have them.
How are your other ECs going?
Thank you for letting me know! I remember reading somewhere else that you needed like 99h, but it might have been an older or a quite extreme thread. I really wanted to because I really enjoy surgery, however, I know that I am going to have the exposure once (and if) I get accepted to Med School. Thank you for your input, it really helps me see things under a different light. I have almost 100h of volunteering at a local clinic and I am also being a volunteer research assistant. I have other volunteer hours with the Red Cross, and I am going to become an active member of my local AED. I also worked more than 80h as an English TA at my university this Fall semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole reason to shadow is that you see the medicine from the clinicians side. Med schools want to know you’ve thought this through. You’re a sophomore so focus on getting good grades, one or two professors who can be letter writers, and getting clinical volunteer and community service hours.

The whole reason to shadow is that you see the medicine from the clinicians side. Med schools want to know you’ve thought this through. You’re a sophomore so focus on getting good grades, one or two professors who can be letter writers, and getting clinical volunteer and community service hours.
I will be a non-traditional applicant so I feel a lot of pressure to present a relevant curriculum to the Med Schools, that’s why I feel the need to get as many hours as I can, but I definitely appreciate your input. Thank you!

I will be a non-traditional applicant so I feel a lot of pressure to present a relevant curriculum to the Med Schools, that’s why I feel the need to get as many hours as I can, but I definitely appreciate your input. Thank you!
I was 30 and had an arts degree when I applied. I sat on my Med school’s AdCom my 4th year. I wouldn’t share my thoughts if they weren’t relevant. Strong grades, good MCAT, appropriate clinical and community service hours are way more important than sporadicly shadowing different services. Shadowing is only necessary if you plan to apply DO.