This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDR111111111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it worth me trying to apply with an MCAT of 492 or should I just wait and retake the mcat and apply next cycle?

Do schools like to see reapplicants?

Help

Members don't see this ad.

is it worth me trying to apply with an MCAT of 492 or should I just wait and retake the mcat and apply next cycle?

Help
What is your GPA? That MCAT is uncompetitive. Are you a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont apply. Study for MCAT retake but dont schedule it until you're averaging 500+ on practice tests. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Help
Like others have mentioned, likely will just be throwing money away applying with that score. Fix the testing issue and retake

Apply to one throw away school so your app gets verified.
Must re-take and get 500+
Do not waste your money for current mcat score.
Your gpa is very good.

Reactions: 1 users
Princeton review and private tutor. I studied hard for 1 month but studied from January - may
Could potentially take it late August and be fine, but I would ONLY take it if you’re scoring 505-507+ on your practice exams. The LAST thing you want is another sub 500 MCAT.

Zero chance with that MCAT. You need a 500+, so don't take until you are hitting 504+ practice exams.
Plan B - Podiatry

Take a year to focus on the MCAT. Get a 510+ and apply MD. I would advise against rushing an MCAT retake only to apply to DO schools late in Oct/Nov.

Could potentially take it late August and be fine, but I would ONLY take it if you’re scoring 505-507+ on your practice exams. The LAST thing you want is another sub 500 MCAT.
OP clearly needs many months of studying so I advise against this (taking in Aug)
OP studied for 1-2 months and ended up with still a low score despite sufficient resources (tutor, class)

Take the year to study for MCAT long term, beef up the EC's, and be ready first day of new cycle to apply broadly
Good luck.

OP clearly needs many months of studying so I advise against this (taking in Aug)
OP studied for 1-2 months and ended up with still a low score despite sufficient resources (tutor, class)

Take the year to study for MCAT long term, beef up the EC's, and be ready first day of new cycle to apply broadly
Good luck.
I agree that OP may need longer. However IF, they’re reaching target scores on full lengths, then I don’t see why not take it. I do agree that it would be beneficial to take a longer time and score as high as possible and maybe apply MD.

I have to agree with others, DO NOT apply with this score. You will be donating a ton of money to these schools. You should take some time off to study for it.

Im not sure if you will get in anywhere with that low of a score besides carribean :( I would retake

Princeton review and private tutor. I studied hard for 1 month but studied from January - may
Take at least 90days for that test and an extra 30 because it's gunna be a retake. You have a year or two to grow and develop as a person... and get a 510+

If you are good with DO just get above a 500. It will take a lot of work but it should be doable

Reactions: 1 user