Should I Consider a Masters? Or a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haley1438

Reaction score
I’m currently freaking out because my DAT score is 19 and my GPA is 3.6, I’m not confident that I can get into dental school with that. Would it be worth my time to skip applying this cycle in May and do a masters or retake my DAT or should I chance it and apply anyways? I have a ton of volunteer hours and I substitute teach and tutor in my hometown, do you think my extra curricular activities will make up for my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.6 isn't too bad imo, but what's your sGPA and your major? Based on the info rn, I'd retake because I think it'd be easier/quicker to improve your DAT scores than it would be to get good grades in an SMP
have a ton of volunteer hours and I substitute teach and tutor in my hometown, do you think my extra curricular activities will make up for my scores?
Imo, no. Academic stats are one thing, and community involvement is another. You're good on the involvement side, (depending on what "a ton of hours" means), but the 19 isn't showing you to be very academically strong at the moment. Also, since you mentioned "May", I believe you're IS for TX. They prefer IS applicants, which helps you, BUT I think they can be picky because there are so many competitive applicants. Best to raise your academic stats to better your chances.

And do you have shadowing hours?

My science GPA is 3.4; volunteering hours is around 130 and shadowing is 120

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a masters with that GPA. You should have a chance somewhere even with a 19, but if you retake and do better, you should have way more options. Definitely retake.