This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dswiggles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently in my junior year of undergrad and have come to the realization that my GPA probably won't be very competitive when I graduate (3.25 cgpa and 3.0 sgpa), particularly for MD schools. I'm not biased towards MD or DO and plan to apply to schools that fall under both categories. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but am going to start studying over the summer up until December so I can take it in January of 2019 (my goal is a 510+). Because my gpa is not so great, I've been looking at smps and post bacc programs and have gotten a lot of mixed reviews on their effectiveness... Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am currently in my junior year of undergrad and have come to the realization that my GPA probably won't be very competitive when I graduate (3.25 cgpa and 3.0 sgpa), particularly for MD schools. I'm not biased towards MD or DO and plan to apply to schools that fall under both categories. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but am going to start studying over the summer up until December so I can take it in January of 2019 (my goal is a 510+). Because my gpa is not so great, I've been looking at smps and post bacc programs and have gotten a lot of mixed reviews on their effectiveness... Thoughts anyone?

SMPs are typically one year programs designed for those who have lower GPAs (and maybe MCAT). They're considered high risk in the sense that if you perform poorly, you'll have a worthless degree and will have spent a lot for it. On the other hand, post-bacc's are great if you were not a science major, which would make it easy to raise your sGPA, or were on the cusp of being competitive for MD schools.

Considering your current stats, I would recommend a SMP over a post-bacc as I imagine you have a fair amount of credit hours and the post-bacc route would require around 2 years to significantly impact your stats. Note that you should not be studying for both the MCAT and doing the SMP at the same time as you don't want to risk doing bad on both. Furthermore, you can look into SMPs that have linkage (e.g. if you get a > 3.5 GPA you have an automatic acceptance/interview).

Just my two cents - good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably smart. Focus on the MCAT like you have planned and see what happens. Doing well on that will open a lot of doors for you in terms of SMPs with linkage agreements that are partially contingent on hitting certain MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs are typically one year programs designed for those who have lower GPAs (and maybe MCAT). They're considered high risk in the sense that if you perform poorly, you'll have a worthless degree and will have spent a lot for it. On the other hand, post-bacc's are great if you were not a science major, which would make it easy to raise your sGPA, or were on the cusp of being competitive for MD schools.

Considering your current stats, I would recommend a SMP over a post-bacc as I imagine you have a fair amount of credit hours and the post-bacc route would require around 2 years to significantly impact your stats. Note that you should not be studying for both the MCAT and doing the SMP at the same time as you don't want to risk doing bad on both. Furthermore, you can look into SMPs that have linkage (e.g. if you get a > 3.5 GPA you have an automatic acceptance/interview).

Just my two cents - good luck.

Thank you for this advice! do you know of any reputable post bacs with linkages?
And as far as studying for the MCAT goes I'm shooting for having those scores by may (if I don't do well in january, I'll revise then take it again in april or may so I can start my applications in the summer).

Thank you for this advice! do you know of any reputable post bacs with linkages?
And as far as studying for the MCAT goes I'm shooting for having those scores by may (if I don't do well in january, I'll revise then take it again in april or may so I can start my applications in the summer).

I do not know of any post-bacc's with linkage; however, there are a fair amount of SMPs with linkage. In regards to the MCAT, that sounds like a plan - just make sure that you take it when you feel prepared and are scoring within your target range. There's no need to take the exam twice if you can afford it.

I have a similar GPA as you, with 510+ MCAT. Didn't have any success last cycle, so I'm doing georgetown smp in the fall :depressed:

I have a similar GPA as you, with 510+ MCAT. Didn't have any success last cycle, so I'm doing georgetown smp in the fall :depressed:
Oh dear... Why do you think last cylce wasn't a good one for you? Was it interviews? ECs? (are you an urm?)

And also I wish you the best of luck with your smp program!!!

non-urm and no interviews :cryi:. I applied relatively late in the cycle (december), so that could be a factor.

I improved my ec's a bit and i'm applying as soon as the app opens so i'm hopeful for 2019 cycle

non-urm and no interviews :cryi:. I applied relatively late in the cycle (december), so that could be a factor.

I improved my ec's a bit and i'm applying as soon as the app opens so i'm hopeful for 2019 cycle

Ahh ok that makes sense; I've heard that applying late in the cycle can be quite dangerous T-T