This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orrymoody

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 with a wife and 2 year old child. I have a great job working in business development for a Futune 100 company. I have a B.S. Biblical Studies (2.83GPA), Master of Systems Engineering (3.86GPA), Graduate Certificat in Marketing from Harvard Extension and am three classes from a Master of Liberal Arts in Management from Harvard Extension (should be around a 3.5GPA). I have also taken Chemistry, Microbiloogy, A&P 1 &2, Physical Science and General Biology (Zoology) with probably a collective GPA of 2.9 in those courses (most were taken prior to graduate degrees. I have also worked as an engineer for a few years and before that spent 1.5 yrs in a hospital where I spent time in the ER and was BLS/CPR/AED Certified, Phlebotomy Certified and a Certified Patient Care Aid. I loved my time in the ER and the hospital, but it just didn't pay enough with respect to other degree related fields. I have came to a point in my life now where money isn't something I chase after as much. I have always dreamed of becoming a doctor and love helping people and solving problems. I find both very fascinating and fulfilling. I am worried about getting in (based on my academics and non-traditional status) as well as the difficulty of managing a family and going through med school for a few years. I know I would, at a minimum, have to take Physics and Organic Chemistry and of course the MCAT. I'm curious if my non-traditional background would be appealing to an admissions committee. I work in the defense sector, with a security clearance, on highly advanced technologies that help defend our country. While this does require complex critical thinking and analysis skills, it certainly is far from biological in nature (no pun). Thoughts? Suggestions? Scoldings?

Members don't see this ad.

Grades from graduate degrees are not included in the gpa calculations used to screen MD candidates.
It would take a sustained period of academic excellence and and single strong MCAT score to convince a committee.
It has been done.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grades from graduate degrees are not included in the gpa calculations used to screen MD candidates.
It would take a sustained period of academic excellence and and single strong MCAT score to convince a committee.
It has been done.

Probability of turning around a sub - 3.0 in Bible studies to 3.7+ in hard sciences followed by a 512+?

Reactions: 1 users
Probability of turning around a sub - 3.0 in Bible studies to 3.7+ in hard sciences followed by a 512+?
It is rare, but I see it happen at least a couple of times every year (out of about 10,000, admittedly).

He's also got to do so at HES, or have a whale of a story for why he could do other work there but not ochem. And then clear all the normal hurdles for why students get rejected that cull at least half of applicants, ie you didn't like the shirt he wore on interview day
Yes, I know (it's more often the tie...).

Reactions: 3 users
I am 28 with a wife and 2 year old child. I have a great job working in business development for a Futune 100 company. I have a B.S. Biblical Studies (2.83GPA), Master of Systems Engineering (3.86GPA), Graduate Certificat in Marketing from Harvard Extension and am three classes from a Master of Liberal Arts in Management from Harvard Extension (should be around a 3.5GPA). I have also taken Chemistry, Microbiloogy, A&P 1 &2, Physical Science and General Biology (Zoology) with probably a collective GPA of 2.9 in those courses (most were taken prior to graduate degrees. I have also worked as an engineer for a few years and before that spent 1.5 yrs in a hospital where I spent time in the ER and was BLS/CPR/AED Certified, Phlebotomy Certified and a Certified Patient Care Aid. I loved my time in the ER and the hospital, but it just didn't pay enough with respect to other degree related fields. I have came to a point in my life now where money isn't something I chase after as much. I have always dreamed of becoming a doctor and love helping people and solving problems. I find both very fascinating and fulfilling. I am worried about getting in (based on my academics and non-traditional status) as well as the difficulty of managing a family and going through med school for a few years. I know I would, at a minimum, have to take Physics and Organic Chemistry and of course the MCAT. I'm curious if my non-traditional background would be appealing to an admissions committee. I work in the defense sector, with a security clearance, on highly advanced technologies that help defend our country. While this does require complex critical thinking and analysis skills, it certainly is far from biological in nature (no pun). Thoughts? Suggestions? Scoldings?
I read the comments of the other posters here, and while it hard to refute their logic, pragmatism, etc...the final calculus of decision should center around just how much you really want the medical degree. If you're willing to do 2 years of hard sciences AND have the confidence you could achieve a gpa above 3.6 AND a solid MCAT score (north of 510), then, and only then, you should have a serious conversation with your wife. It's a daunting undertaking, but if you truly believe that not attempting to realize this goal will haunt you from this point forward, I say it's worthy of consideration solely on that basis.

Reactions: 5 users
Probably of turnaround from Bible studies sub 3.0 to 3.7+ in BCMP = .02 ...at HES = .2 Probability of 512+ = .01 Probability you like his tie = .4 Chance of admission = .000016
OP go into something higher yield
OP I have a Lizzy in the high 60s with a 4.0 in my postbac, strong ECs. I have one II so far from 26 applications.
1. It's early in the process.
2. I kind of wonder if your consistent negativity toward others doesn't come through in some manner on your app

Reactions: 3 users
I think it would be really hard for you to get the GPA needed to get in. Were you good in science in HS? Other than being interested in medicine, what makes you think you'd be good at it? The background is interesting, but it's only interesting on a background of a solid GPA and MCAT IMO.

I don't think an earnest discussion is being negative
Given all of your posts, you are negative with every thing and every individual.

By guiding people to HOW they can improve their possibility you stop being negative and start being helpful. I truly doubt that someone who signed up for this site barely a month ago has enough exposure to really render a valid opinion. (CAVEAT: unless you are a licensed physician or adcom or faculty!)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're doing them a disservice by recommending a path with awful odds

I don't think an earnest discussion is being negative
I've been thinking about this the last few days and I think you have the wrong perspective on this. You claim that the odds are not in their favor, but the odds of becoming a doctor are in no one's favor.

If you're 18 years old and thinking about beginning the path to becoming a doctor, the odds are pretty bleak. Only 0.83% of high school graduates ever go on to medical school. Why start a path that has such bleak statistics? Even for a college graduate, the chances only increase to 1.5%.

It's because statistics mean nothing to the individual. What we see on SDN is a small portion of an applicant's life, colored by their biases and ours. Being a non-trad is really about re-invention. If you're going to tell someone to give up because the stats are unfavorable, then almost everyone would have to give up unless they had exceptional stats. And honestly, you don't want to fill medical schools with stat junkies. There's more to being a doctor than just high test scores.

Reactions: 6 users
I've been thinking about this the last few days and I think you have the wrong perspective on this. You claim that the odds are not in their favor, but the odds of becoming a doctor are in no one's favor.

If you're 18 years old and thinking about beginning the path to becoming a doctor, the odds are pretty bleak. Only 0.83% of high school graduates ever go on to medical school. Why start a path that has such bleak statistics? Even for a college graduate, the chances only increase to 1.5%.

It's because statistics mean nothing to the individual. What we see on SDN is a small portion of an applicant's life, colored by their biases and ours. Being a non-trad is really about re-invention. If you're going to tell someone to give up because the stats are unfavorable, then almost everyone would have to give up unless they had exceptional stats. And honestly, you don't want to fill medical schools with stat junkies. There's more to being a doctor than just high test scores.
:bow::bow::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::nod::nod::nod::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::prof:

Overstates odds for most candidates because this isn't separated by ethnicity.

OP I think it's mildly crazy to leave a proper job to do a postbac. Nuts if you have a family. Flat insane sub 3.0.
URMs are a fraction of the applicant pool. If anything, it barely affects most candidates but severely understates the chances of a URM applicant.

What does your heart tell you?

If yes, then I suggest either a DIY post-bac, or a post-bac program for career changers.

Non-trads are looked upon positively for their maturity and life experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Non-trads are looked upon positively for their maturity and life experiences.

Only when they have the numbers. He kinda left that important part out.

If you can't get the numbers, think twice about this profession.

Since everyone who goes to high school wants to be a doctor?

I started med school at 30. If you insist on going into healthcare then consider PA or RN-->CRNA/NP....too much uncertainty to commit the time/$$$ into med school. 9-12 years from now when you are done with training, things will not be better with respect to autonomy, red-tape/hoop-jumping, stress levels, and income (you'll be working harder for the same or less). Both the insurance companies and CMS are constantly figuring out ways to pay us less. We may have single payor by then and all be government employees. Personally I would stick with your current career.

OP: don't listen to Tiger Tank, he's a real downer.

DO listen to @gyngyn. The advice from the first post in this thread is dead on. It can be done, but it will take several years of A's and a really solid MCAT. If you are looking to go DO, your masters GPA will count, and you won't need quite as high of an MCAT, but you will still probably need a solid year of A's in science courses to prove you can handle med school.

If you are serious about this path read DrMidlife's post on this thread: The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread

Some stories of others who have done it: LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

Can be done. But honestly, now I am done with med school -
Would not have done it again if I had a viable career before med school, instead of a ****ty public health job that paid 30k a year.

Hmmmm, you cut off the last part -- if I had a good job before med school, I didn't, so I am still at it.'
For me the main reason is kids - if you are single, then no problem it's all good.
The main reason, is that, with medicine, you have to go all in for, 7 years minimum, right?
If you apply for residency a year or two after an MD, nobody wants you.
And for me, that falls smack in the middle of my kids toddler years. Yes, there are many doctors with toddler but I am not as high performing as them. SUre my friends with toddlers matched to MGH, or Stanford, but I am never as high achieving as them, I am assuming even back in middle school.
So, it's very tough for me to decide if I am need to give this up, or give up 3 more years of my life with the kids. Going all in with kids is super tough, and honestly a lot of people are just not that into medicine when compared to be how much they are into their kids.
While I had been complemented as exceptional with patients, and I do love patients. If there is another option for me right now to work 40, 45 hours a week and get decent pay - I would be very tempted to take it.

Many many obgyns I know quit after a couple years out of residency, because it is often a job you have to go ALLL IN, or nothing, and for a lot of women in their mid 30's with toddlers, crazy all in is not something they want to do or they can do, given often these are dual professional families. So, I think I am experiencing a little bit of a similar problem, but I am not done with training yet. Lastly, I am not the only one. There is another girl in my class, we are basically the same age, and we are both hemming and hawing about applying for residency or just give this up. But in the end, I would say it was a good experience. It ended up being not super expensive either. I much prefer a MD than a random masters degree people get for stuff, even if this is the end. I had great friends, I met my husband the spring before med school, and we had gotten married and had kids etc. So, no regret I guess, but I think if I had a well paying job before, I wouldn't have done it.

The way my husband puts it: "You do what you do, if the world does not want an Ivy league educated primary care physician who is apparently exceptional with patients, then, the world doesn't want you as a clinician. You might as well leave that world be."..

Lastly - I look okay on paper. I had a 3.9 GPA for all undergrad and postbac. 34 MCAT. I did kind of bad in med school, but without any issues where I had to talk to the dean or anything. I think I ended up number 80-ish out of 100ish people for 3rd year grade. I went to UCLA for undergrad and an ivy med school. I had two kids in med school. They are 2.5 and 1.3 ish now.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, you cut off the last part
because I wanted to know why you would change your mind, why you think med school is bad and the answer is that it's not that med school is bad its that you have kids...

That's a whole different story than "med school = bad" :) and med school/physician sounds like it's more about the money for you (?) than the passion which is a large reason why I think many, many people end up dropping out, or leaving of their own volition, etc. as you seem to indicate you may very well choose.

But you don't have to be an OB, you don't have to be a primary care doc; you don't have to be anything that requires on-call for weekends really. You can do your residency to be licensed and then work corporate jobs (Medtronic, St Jude, Boston Sci come to mind). Without the licensing, however, you kind of shoot yourself in the foot.

A few months ago, I got asked what would happen if I didn't get in and I responded saying I'd go back to being rich... and miserable. Sure, I had a lot of $$$; but was I ever happy? Nope. I was not miserable either, really, but I was never excited really to go to work, to see my paycheck; it just "was" an existence. My biggest kick was seeing how much I could get in my next raise or my next bonus, praying it would make me feel good again (never did).

But school? and patients? I can hardly wait to get there to see them.

The issue with youngsters in the house has to be hard. I'm a single mom, raised my now adult child on my own without any support from his father (financially or physically - both my choice) and I was gone. A lot. So, I played a video game with him - he'd be coming home from school when I was either mid-day in Europe or middle of the night in Asia; we'd talk about school, and his friends and whatever he wanted, or we'd just kill stuff together... nothing like ganking horde in their home city from above ;)

In looking back, I don't regret my choices, I gave him the world (literally) but I do regret missing his first steps, his first report card, being there when he chose his private high school with my parents ( :mad: - why *that* one?!?!?!)...

Sounds like you have a very supportive husband and I'd only add this: kids don't learn necessarily by what you say, but by what you do. If you stop anywhere before being licensed, what does that tell your children?

Best of luck to you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you really think we didn't go into it without passion?
You think everyone gets married without passion?

Passion gets worn out and sometimes the counterweight like family weights heavier and heavier, and it becomes a difficult decision.

I don't know what to say to your idea that med school is fantastic and magical. I can only say, before I started it was the same thing, but 3rd year is a huge drag depending on your clinical education, but

I strongly resent your idea that primary care is some kind of easy fairyland, ugh. I also resent you insinuating this is about money. I am literally going into a residency that nobody at my fancy med school goes into, okay? I had wanted to go into this specialty since first year. At this point, I had found options that pays well, interesting and is flexible with time, the only thing I can't let go is the patients, okay? I really enjoy the patients. No, I don't want ot get paid 35k a year forever, okay? Is that such a crime?

Please don't respond until 5 years later. PLease tell me your passion for medicine is the exactly the same as it is now in intern year. I know people like that, there are exactly 5 people out of 100 who is like that - and even they think it is such a drag and some days they kinda regret it.

I am so grossed out by this kind of, you must lean in until you die attitude. I have a job offer from a digital health start up. Why is being a clinician some kind of fantastic magical role model for my kid when just being a working mom is not enough? Were you a **** role model for your kid becaue you were a mere mortal working mom, and not a doctor? Do you think stay at home parent are worthless and not worth for their kids to look up to? Ugh

God I haven't been here for a few years. I am out.

because I wanted to know why you would change your mind, why you think med school is bad and the answer is that it's not that med school is bad its that you have kids...

That's a whole different story than "med school = bad" :) and med school/physician sounds like it's more about the money for you (?) than the passion which is a large reason why I think many, many people end up dropping out, or leaving of their own volition, etc. as you seem to indicate you may very well choose.

But you don't have to be an OB, you don't have to be a primary care doc; you don't have to be anything that requires on-call for weekends really. You can do your residency to be licensed and then work corporate jobs (Medtronic, St Jude, Boston Sci come to mind). Without the licensing, however, you kind of shoot yourself in the foot.

A few months ago, I got asked what would happen if I didn't get in and I responded saying I'd go back to being rich... and miserable. Sure, I had a lot of $$$; but was I ever happy? Nope. I was not miserable either, really, but I was never excited really to go to work, to see my paycheck; it just "was" an existence. My biggest kick was seeing how much I could get in my next raise or my next bonus, praying it would make me feel good again (never did).

But school? and patients? I can hardly wait to get there to see them.

The issue with youngsters in the house has to be hard. I'm a single mom, raised my now adult child on my own without any support from his father (financially or physically - both my choice) and I was gone. A lot. So, I played a video game with him - he'd be coming home from school when I was either mid-day in Europe or middle of the night in Asia; we'd talk about school, and his friends and whatever he wanted, or we'd just kill stuff together... nothing like ganking horde in their home city from above ;)

In looking back, I don't regret my choices, I gave him the world (literally) but I do regret missing his first steps, his first report card, being there when he chose his private high school with my parents ( :mad: - why *that* one?!?!?!)...

Sounds like you have a very supportive husband and I'd only add this: kids don't learn necessarily by what you say, but by what you do. If you stop anywhere before being licensed, what does that tell your children?

Best of luck to you!!

I don't know what to say to your idea that med school is fantastic and magical.
What? I have never said that. I love being in school.

I strongly resent your idea that primary care is some kind of easy fairyland, ugh. I also resent you insinuating this is about money.
You can resent me all you want but you did say:

Would not have done it again if I had a viable career before instead of a ****ty public health job that paid 30k a year.
Indicating that med school was a choice because, at least partially, the money is there when you are licensed. Because the reverse of what you said, is that had you been making "pick your favorite $$$ amount" you would not have even tried to get into med school and now, you're miserable.

FYI - I am 53. My life is very well lived. 36 countries, all 50 states. I've seen people wash their clothes in sewage laden water (Philippines), watched people try to strain water from the river to drink (Ghana, outside of Accra), watched people in very poor health roam around a landfill where they'd made caves to live in and then watched them eat food out of a barrel of dumpster food (Philippines).

As for my living son, you should ask him what he thinks of me. He'd tell you. Find him on PraxysTv, or Twitter by the same or Straiin, or in game as Praxys (pick your favorite Activision game).

What I can tell you about him? Doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs; no tattoos or piercings, clean shaven, well spoken, polite (please, thank you); dresses well, very diversified interests, been to 25 countries, all 50 states, heart of gold. 4.0 student in premed courses with biochem/Mandarin Chinese, volunteers at the homeless shelter (as he's done since he was 5 because I forced him to give back), volunteers with Big Brothers, and is an avid gamer, hockey fan, and photographer. Oh, and he doesn't bring home sewer trash for girlfriends.

I think I did pretty damn well raising him. When I was home, I was 100% there for him, with him, and I have never been married; no time for men when I was busy raising him.

My passion for medicine has been 48 years in the making. So pardon me, if the excitement never wears off.

What concerns me more than anything is that you are miserable. That miserableness is going to affect your patients and they, frankly, deserve better whether you are 3rd or 4th yr or resident. Your co-workers and student peers deserve better than someone who seems to have a black pall hanging over your head. It makes me wonder if you don't have depression and maybe need to talk to the school counseling unit... or, if as I suggested above, medicine was your way of making big bucks and now you're finding out how hard it really is and it's going to get worse in your intern year. And you simply, feel stuck.

And of course, "you're out" because... you bash and dash. So, if you should happen to just "peek" in, I do hope you find something in life that brings you peace and hope, despite your very negative arrows at me personally, and the profession overall.

Two additions...

At 28, you won't really get the non-trad nod that Goro mentioned, at least not the lasting kind (dealing with preceptors/rotations/patients); you're not old enough yet, you'll blend in.

Second, if you do manage a seat, this choice will take a serious toll on your family. I'm not saying it won't be worth it, only that medical school wasn't designed for anyone with priorities that may occasionally supersede medicine.