Should I go for the honors diploma? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

How much is an honors diploma of benefit when it comes to applying?
I came into University with a good amount of credit and if I want to pursue the honors diploma it would require me to retake the honors versions of classes I already have credit for + a few more classes.
Would it be better to spend this time getting a minor in something I love (psychology)?
The only huge benefit I can think of is it guarantees you an interview at our schools medical school (if you maintain a certain minimum GPA - I think 3.2) and you have to complete a thesis.

Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to attend your schools medical school? If it is your top choice and you get a guaranteed interview why not? If you are already a competitive applicant it may not be worth the retakes, especially if it puts you behind in graduating or applying.

I really want to aim higher than my school's but who knows how cometetive I'll be by the time application comes around.

I'm just wondering if it'll give me an upper hand when applying to other schools - or if it's wiser to spend that time else where (a minor, more ECs, research, etc.).

I would definitely still go for Latin honors or departmental honors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to aim higher than my school's but who knows how cometetive I'll be by the time application comes around.

I'm just wondering if it'll give me an upper hand when applying to other schools - or if it's wiser to spend that time else where (a minor, more ECs, research, etc.).

I would definitely still go for Latin honors or departmental honors.
I would spend your time elsewhere in that case (EC, shadowing, research, etc...).

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

How much is an honors diploma of benefit when it comes to applying?
I came into University with a good amount of credit and if I want to pursue the honors diploma it would require me to retake the honors versions of classes I already have credit for + a few more classes.
Would it be better to spend this time getting a minor in something I love (psychology)?
The only huge benefit I can think of is it guarantees you an interview at our schools medical school (if you maintain a certain minimum GPA - I think 3.2) and you have to complete a thesis.

Is it worth it?

That's the only benefit I can think of -- If your academic performance is competitive for med school admission, the "honors" part is pretty much assumed and a lack thereof won't be noticed.

Reactions: 1 user
Have students w/o the honors gotten interviews from your school? If so I'd definitely focus on doing more things you enjoy.