Should I include high school clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babbitt4MVP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well aware this has been asked and answered, but my situation is a tad different. I volunteered in a hospital toward the end of high school for a considerable amount of hours, stopped when I began college, then resumed toward the end of college at the same hospital, where I continue to volunteer. It's in a different department the second time, however, with more patient interaction. Should I include my high school hours in AMCAS? If so, how should I do it given this large gap?

Members don't see this ad.

Well aware this has been asked and answered, but my situation is a tad different. I volunteered in a hospital toward the end of high school for a considerable amount of hours, stopped when I began college, then resumed toward the end of college at the same hospital, where I continue to volunteer. It's in a different department the second time, however, with more patient interaction. Should I include my high school hours in AMCAS? If so, how should I do it given this large gap?
Theoretically you can mention the HS hours, since there's no rule against it. If you do so, consider using the Repeated feature to divide out the dates and hours. Both timeframes will appear in the header of the space, which will also, I assume, have the same volunteer coordinator office as the contact.

Another way to mention those HS hours would be to include mention of the activity in your PS, as part of your path to medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
If someone is looking for the duration of your activities, they are going to find it more efficiently scanning your "experience section" than going through your PS so I'd vote for adding it into the experience section and using the repeated feature to show the dates.

Reactions: 1 user