should I just give up??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perkypup6260

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:(I just recieved an F in organic chemistry I and a D in molecular genetics... it was a difficult semester I am not going to lie... and I will need to retake these classes... and I will be retaking Ochem in spring... but molecular genetics I have to wait till summer...

But that is not the only thing... I am an average student... C's alot of C's... and I dont know whether to retake these classes or take a post bacc... or just give up... or... I dont know... I just figured out what I want to be and now I feel like I have totally screwed up all of my chances of getting into Vet school... please someone out there tell me if I have a chance or how I can increase my chances!!!!!! Or basically what I should do!!!! PLEASE!!!!! i NEED HELP!!!!!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should retake them and try your hardest to get a B+ or better yet an A. I don't think you should retake the ones you got a C in
in, but talk to your advisor. You can also schedule a phone appointment to talk to an advisor at one of the Vet schools. Don't give up because there is still hope.
They look at GRE scores and experience/shadowing too.
In these next few years take more science classes this proves to the admissions committees that you can handle the course load.
Get a tutor.
With Ochem you must keep up with the material almost daily in order to "get it".
Learn from your mistakes and proceed from there.

1. Breathe.....deeply....repeat as necessary.
2. How far are you into your prereq's for vet school?
3. Is there a pre-vet counselor at your school? Or if you have a particular vet school in mind, have you thought about contacting their undergrad liason? These people can often be very helpful in pointing you towards help learning materials that you struggle with.
4. Remember that there are people who get into vet school with mediocre grades. Also take the time to consider if your difficulty lies in not having learned how to learn. (sounds wierd, but think about it for a minute. I never did learn how to learn foreign languages, I fail these courses consistently.) There are learning centers at most schools that can help you figure out your learning style for different subjects, and sometimes that can make a difference.
5. As a caveat to the people who get in on mediocre GPA's, what does your experience look like? Is there anything(experience, research, GRE score, etc) that you are building to make up for low grades? This is usually what tips the scales(but others who did get in on low grades may have better input on this).

There are a lot more factors than just grades. Take the time to research them. Talk to counselors, and learning facilities. If this is really what you want to do, there's always a way to do it, it just may not be as obvious a path as normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an F in math and a D in general chemistry my first semester at university. I had the same attidude. I came home and bawled my eyes out because I didn't think I'd ever make the marks to be a vet.

Three years later, I boosted my marks and experience enough to have a shot at my school so I applied.

The general courses can be a pain to get through... just wait until you find one that you really really enjoy... then As and Bs are no problem.

Remember, they look at the trend. They'd much rather see someone who started out rough and got their **** together as opposed to someone who did good for a little bit and coasted across the finish line. And you really can work wonders with your GRE scores.

well... I am pretty far into my schooling... I am a junior... and yes there is a pre-vet /pre-med counselor here but he is a total a**... i started out as a pre-med student... and after he took one look at my grades he told me to look into physician assistant or nursing... because there was no way I was getting into medical school... so I HIGHLY doubt he will help me get into vet school... so now I feel like I am TOALLY alone and have noone to help me plan my classes and everything... and not only that but my dad got really used to me being pre-med... tells everyone how I am going ot be an Emergency Physician and how he is so proud...since that is what I wanted to do... or what I thought I wanted to do... but when I told him that I want to be a vet ...because a guy asked me one day why I wanted to be a doctor... and I had no answer... because deep down inside I really didnt want to be a physician... at least not for humans... I wanted to be a vet...so after explaining this to him he flipped out telling me it isnt worth it and that I wouldnt make enough money and that I shouldnt settle and I could still get into medical school... it was just as if I totally let him down and it hurt so badly... but this is what I want... and it is my life not his... I love animals and I love helping them!!!!!! Whenever they are hurt in my family everyone calls me to see what they should do... and just recently my best friend and I found a 2 day old cat abandoned by her mother... and we nursed her to today where she is an 8 week old healthy beautiful little thing!!!!! I just KNOW that this is what I want and it tears me apart to think that the one thing stopping me is my GPA...

I am studying for the GRE currently and I volunteer at the animal shelter here... and I was hoping to get in with the Vet there to see if he wouldnt mind my shadowing him a couple times a week... also thankyou very much for the idea about not knowing how to learn... I have always struggled with it and never knew there were people that help you with that kind of thing... I am going to head to campus after work today to speak with the counselors there to see if they can help me... I am going to retake Ochem and Genetics... but I am not sure if I should retake all the other classes I got Cs in... is that bad or frowned upon in any way does anyone know??? sorry so many questions... I am new to being pre-vet... since pre-med has ruled over my existance for the past 2 years... thankyou in advance for all the advice... oh and the breathing... that made my crying go away so thankyou very much for that to!!!!... any more advice would be GREATLY appreciated... thankyou so much!!!!!

First and most importantly, take a deep breath and calm down. Freaking out will only make things worse.

I'm an applicant for the current cycle. My cumulative GPA is a 2.965. I have some really crap grades on my transcript and I kick and swear at myself every time I have to look at that blasted piece of paper. I went from stellar grades through high school into a tailspin that makes it look like I spent my undergraduate days picking daisies instead of going to class. There were a variety of things that played into this poor record but the only thing that matters now is that I've spent the last ten months working my ass off to make myself look better on paper. My GREs are just above average and I have enough experience to give to a small army of applicants, and that's what I'm banking on. But I know I'll be damn lucky if I get in anywhere this cycle, and it's something I've prepared myself for.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to re-take the classes and get Bs or As. I wouldn't retake the C classes (unless they were C-, since some schools will not accept a C- in a pre-requisite course) but spend your time studying hard for your GREs and succeeding in whatever other courses you're taking. Strong experiences are very important to help balance out your grades, but at this time your grades should take absolute precedence (unless these are flukes - what does your cumulative GPA look like?)

well... I am pretty far into my schooling... I am a junior... and yes there is a pre-vet /pre-med counselor here but he is a total a**... i started out as a pre-med student... and after he took one look at my grades he told me to look into physician assistant or nursing... because there was no way I was getting into medical school... so I HIGHLY doubt he will help me get into vet school...

He gave you a very honest answer. With a 2.4 GPA you probably wouldn't get into any US med school or vet school. You also described yourself as being an average student. Unfortunately, the average vet school applicant has more like a 3.5 GPA. I'm sure if you went back to the advisor and asked for advice on what to do, his first recommendation would be to pull up you GPA. The honest answer is that if you really want to be a Vet your goal should be to pull straight A's from here on out to hopefully pull your GPA up above a 3.0 by the time you graduate/apply. That would be pretty much the minimum to get your application considered at most schools. And even at that, it may not be enough.

Honestly getting into a PA program (well around my home state) is super hard also, so I wouldn't bank on that either, around average vet school GPA if you want to be close to home. Nursing isn't a cake walk either. Have you figured out why are you doing so poorly in these classes? Everyone told me here and I totally agree with them that you shouldn't enter into a program trying to fix your grades until you realize what went wrong in the first place.

:(I just recieved an F in organic chemistry I and a D in molecular genetics... it was a difficult semester I am not going to lie... and I will need to retake these classes... and I will be retaking Ochem in spring... but molecular genetics I have to wait till summer...

But that is not the only thing... I am an average student... C's alot of C's... and I dont know whether to retake these classes or take a post bacc... or just give up... or... I dont know... I just figured out what I want to be and now I feel like I have totally screwed up all of my chances of getting into Vet school... please someone out there tell me if I have a chance or how I can increase my chances!!!!!! Or basically what I should do!!!! PLEASE!!!!! i NEED HELP!!!!!:(

I know how you feel. I didn't realize I wanted to go to vet school until I was half way through undergrad, and by then my GPA was not great. I have one D on my transcript (microbiology), but retook it and got an A. I also have several C's. When I realized what I wanted to do, I felt very hopeless as I began to understand how difficult it is to get into vet school. All you can do is try your best from now on, and try to put what happened in the past behind you.

Retake classes with D's or F's, and get A's in them, and also take as many science classes as you can and get A's in those too. Your GPA will begin to rise. It will take a while, but just remember that most schools consider your last 45 hour GPA when you apply. Case in point - my overall GPA is only 3.11, but my last 45 hour GPA is 3.8. It definitely helps! And to second what others have said, GRE scores also count for alot, and the nice thing there is that it's like a clean slate. There may be damage done to your GPA, but there isn't any damage done to the GRE. I like to think of it as a kind of "fresh start".

I know it is hard, but life happens. Not everyone has everything together from day one, and there are many of us in this process that have made a mistake (or several!) that we have to put behind us so that we can press on. All that matters now is that you pick yourself up by your bootstraps and look forward. We only have one life, so might as well shoot for the stars, right?

One of my favorite quotes: "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

Ok....I got the sappy emotional stuff out of my system :D

Thankyou so much for the quote!!!!... that is one thing that depressed me because I thought WOW now I will be in undergrad for another 2 years !!!! But you are right it does pass anyway so I might as well take advantage of it!!!! = ) And that is another crappy thing, I didnt know till just recently that it was what I wanted... so I didnt really study all that well because I was working toward something i didnt want.. but the second I figured out that this is what I want I hit the books hard... but by then it was already to late... I am hoping that I can get As from here on out... the one really sucky thing is that my school (UNLV) sucks... and they dont offer very many biol and chem classes all at once... otherwise I would be taking Ochem, Molecular Genetics, and cell physiology or mamalian physiology together... but molecular genetics and cell phys and mammalian phys is not offered... so I am stuck with only one flippin science course... so I dont know what to do about that:(

I didnt know till just recently that it was what I wanted... so I didnt really study all that well because I was working toward something i didnt want.. but the second I figured out that this is what I want I hit the books hard... but by then it was already to late... (

That is EXACTLY how I was. The fact that I didn't know what I wanted to do made me less motivated to make good grades. I also hit the books hard when I decided I wanted to go to vet school, and my GPA slowly came up. In the mean time, I worked full time as a vet tech (maybe something to consider, because sometimes experience can offset a low GPA), and last year I had an interview at my IS and ended up on the waitlist. It wasn't an acceptance, but making it onto the waitlist was closer to getting in than I ever thought I would get, especially on my first try! So keep your head up, and know that anything is possible....and most importantly that it is NOT too late!:)

As far as the science courses offered, the only thing I can think of is to maybe transfer to a school that is stronger in the sciences? Are there any schools in the area that you could transfer to? Sorry, I know that isn't an ideal situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. It will be difficult to get in the courses you need if they are only offered "every once in a while"...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
See now I considered becoming a vet-tech but I already became a phlebotomist and work at Sunrise hospital... it is a GREAT job and the pay is wonderful!!!... it only took me one semester to become a phlebotomist and yet I would be payed about 6 dollars less an hour for the associates for vet-tech... so I didnt know if I should do it because financially it would hurt me...but other than that I am volunteering at a shelter here and there is a vet... so I was planning on speaking with him to ask if I could shadow him and maybe learn enough to be helpful around the clinic... hopefully he will say it is ok = )

Before worrying about CAN you get into vet school I would concentrate on SHOULD you go to vet school. I personally think you need to prove to YOURSELF first that you can handle it.

If in fact you just had a motivation problem then you definitely need to start getting high grades to prove it. I would think there are issues with how you study that you might look into as well. You will need to be a good student to survive in vet school. If you get on a roll then you can consider moving forward.

And as others have mentioned, forget about applying next year. Work on a multi-year plan to improve your candidacy. Whether you try another university, post-bacc work somewhere (even some on-line classes), or whatever, you need to demonstrate an ability to handle the academic side.

And you will definitely need to make up for your poor academic record in the other areas. You best have a LOT of experience, make it diverse, and hopeful you can stand out. That probably means a few years building up that time after graduation.

Take it one step at a time. If you don't demonstrate an ability to survive academically then all bets are off.

I didnt know if I should do it because financially it would hurt me...but other than that I am volunteering at a shelter here and there is a vet... so I was planning on speaking with him to ask if I could shadow him and maybe learn enough to be helpful around the clinic... hopefully he will say it is ok = )

That is a good place to start. If you have to keep your current job for financial reasons, do so, but remember to get as much veterinary/animal experience as you can, especially because of the low GPA. A lot of times people also start out volunteering, and end up working later on. I started out as a kennel tech, and worked my way up to a technician (in Texas you don't have to be registered to work as a vet tech). As of now, I have about three years experience as a vet tech, and I think that definitely helped my application.

I personally think you need to prove to YOURSELF first that you can handle it......If you don't demonstrate an ability to survive academically then all bets are off.

I also totally agree with this. I went through this also. There were times that I doubted myself because of a rough start, and it took making good grades to tell me that it was in fact only a motivation problem.....not a competency problem. Either way, this realization can only come with time, and after you actually begin making the grades. It's a process, and you have a long road ahead, but if you are meant to do this then there is only one way to find out. Just start putting in the effort, and time will tell. And (if you're like me), once you start putting in the necessary time and effort, the science classes get alot more interesting, which makes it that much easier to get motivated to study!

Also, as far as working as a vet tech, it can also help with motivation. I was working while taking many of my pre-reqs, and it really helped me stay focused on the big picture. It is also important to do as much as you can in the field, because it lets you know if it is REALLY something you want to do for the rest of your life. You really get to see what the pros and cons of the profession really are.

Last edited:
I think my first question would be what is the reason for the grades?

Is the material hard? Is it boring? Are you putting in enough study time? Are you frustrated with the teachers? Is it something medical or personal?

I think you need to think about why you are getting those grades and set up a plan to improve them. I wouldn't worry about what school you want to go to until you figure out how you can do better? Perhaps a tutor? Switching schools? You really need to get to the root of the issue because if its something like you don't like science or you think its difficult, I gotta be honest...it just gets tougher and tougher and you will have tons of science classes in any medical career, be it med school, vet school, or nursing.

However, if you really enjoy your science classes but they aren't clicking then I would think about seeking the help of a tutor or a grad student.

Hope that helps and good luck!

All I have to say is that, if this is something that you truly want (and I mean deep down, 100% committed, won't settle for anything else), you will make it happen.

My grades aren't great, my GRE scores aren't the greatest... (I'm not telling you to slack off... because let's be honest... I didn't 'slack off'.... it's just difficult to balance a full time job, a part time job AND courses....) but I've worked my tail off in every other aspect of my life to make up for it. It's difficult to get those things to shine through to get yourself an interview for vet school.... but you know what, when you are given an opportunity, run with it! Go out on a limb every now and again... be willing to take risks and push yourself. It will pay off.

If you have the drive within you to pursue this career, there's nothing that will stop you.

Thats it... this IS what I want to do definitely... and I am not going to sit back and watch my chances disappear... I am going to work my a** off to make it happen... I can make this happen... I will make it happen... I went to campus to find out hwo I learn best at the academic success center and I will be meeting with someone tomorrow = ) I also am volunteering today and will speak with the vet there... no more being shy about it... no more waiting... i am going to make it happen... I am going to keep studying for the GRE and take as many science classes as possible and kick a** in them!!!! Thankyou so much to everyone for all the information and encouragement it really made me feel better... and it makes me feel better to know that there are other people out there I can talk to about this without hearing that I am settling and letting someone down like my dad... oh, and it turns out that my genetics professor messed up on my calculations for my grade... I actually got a C... but I am still considering re-taking it... so one last question... should I retake the classes I got C's in ... it would be animal behavior, micro, and principles of modern biology... and also calculus...a few others I cant think of I believe but they arent science classes.... or should I just take loads of science classes to raise my GPA???

Thats it... this IS what I want to do definitely... and I am not going to sit back and watch my chances disappear... I am going to work my a** off to make it happen... I can make this happen... I will make it happen... I went to campus to find out hwo I learn best at the academic success center and I will be meeting with someone tomorrow = ) I also am volunteering today and will speak with the vet there... no more being shy about it... no more waiting... i am going to make it happen... I am going to keep studying for the GRE and take as many science classes as possible and kick a** in them!!!! Thankyou so much to everyone for all the information and encouragement it really made me feel better... and it makes me feel better to know that there are other people out there I can talk to about this without hearing that I am settling and letting someone down like my dad... oh, and it turns out that my genetics professor messed up on my calculations for my grade... I actually got a C... but I am still considering re-taking it... so one last question... should I retake the classes I got C's in ... it would be animal behavior, micro, and principles of modern biology... and also calculus...a few others I cant think of I believe but they arent science classes.... or should I just take loads of science classes to raise my GPA???

Have you thought about an RVT/CVT program? This would essentially "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" in that you'll truly find out if you want to do this for a living, and you'll have a chance to raise your GPA. The programs are generally 2 years in length. In addition, IF you get back on your feet "academically speaking" you can take the pre-req classes during the summer breaks. HTH and keep your head up! If you want something bad enough you'll get it

Have you thought about an RVT/CVT program? This would essentially "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" in that you'll truly find out if you want to do this for a living, and you'll have a chance to raise your GPA. The programs are generally 2 years in length. In addition, IF you get back on your feet "academically speaking" you can take the pre-req classes during the summer breaks. HTH and keep your head up! If you want something bad enough you'll get it

Often, coursework from RVT/CVT curriculums don't count the same way as normal university courses do. That's the impression I've had, but maybe certain schools would factor them into your GPA? Not to spark a huge debate, but being a tech is pretty different than being a vet.

Often, coursework from RVT/CVT curriculums don't count the same way as normal university courses do. That's the impression I've had, but maybe certain schools would factor them into your GPA? Not to spark a huge debate, but being a tech is pretty different than being a vet.

Hello, I agree with you on courses not being compatible with DVM programs, and tech vs DVM is not meant to be a comparison, rather a litmus. I can't imagine it hurting someone if they pursue that route over the next 2 years and re-apply.

Hello,

So I am in a similar boat. I took 2 years of university in a program that was not pre-vet,I received a few marks in the mid 60's that brought my average down. This is my first year in pre-vet ( 3rd year of undergrad) and I was considering retaking the classes I got 60's in but my advisor suggested not to. My overall average is below 80% not sure what that is in GPA. So far this year I have being receiving higher marks except for organic chem. I was wondering if it is still possible to boost my grades this year.

Hello,

So I am in a similar boat. I took 2 years of university in a program that was not pre-vet,I received a few marks in the mid 60's that brought my average down. This is my first year in pre-vet ( 3rd year of undergrad) and I was considering retaking the classes I got 60's in but my advisor suggested not to. My overall average is below 80% not sure what that is in GPA. So far this year I have being receiving higher marks except for organic chem. I was wondering if it is still possible to boost my grades this year.

If you're doing well in your pre-vet courses, and you started taking them just this year, I think there are some schools that allow you to drop all your grades from a certain point. As in, you can designate a particular semester from which you want your grades to count. I believe all the courses before that just don't count at all. I can't remember which school let you do this though (not really sure if I remember the details correctly either, so someone please chime in).

I'm not sure if any Canadian schools will let you do that.
I know I have to take courses covering different material or take the course at a higher level in order to replace a mark (I can't take the same course over again... my old mark will count).

Shouldn't be too hard to find on your school's website.

To comment further on what scarcelyheard just said - it can be difficult to complete other upper level courses if you don't have the proper prerequisites - you have to go back to 2nd year courses and begin there. Also, as far as Guelph goes, they don't let you repeat a course that you have a passing grade in and they only consider semesters that you have have carried a full course load in (2.5 credits) - so basically you have to continue taking undergrad credits on a full time basis for them to even count toward your vet application

To comment further on what scarcelyheard just said - it can be difficult to complete other upper level courses if you don't have the proper prerequisites - you have to go back to 2nd year courses and begin there.

Ditto. I retook an organic chem class that I did horrible in to prepare myself for biochem and organic II. You're not the only one with 60s on their transcript!
If you take your pre-reqs with less than a full courseload, you have to submit a letter to AVC explaining why, and they'll take it from there.

God, I hated BOTH those courses!!! I got a C- in ochem and an F in genetics the first time out. Never repeated the ochem; but had to repeat the genetics and only managed a D. From one 'average' student to another - there is always hope. I finished undergrad with a whopping 2.69 GPA...

I didn't even give veterinary medicine a thought until I was in my mid 20s. I foolishly opted to apply after only taking courses for prereqs and not taking anything for a 2nd time to prove that I was able to do 'better' given that I was in a similar professional field and 'in state'. I really thought that meant everything. HA! It's obvious that I was no where near ready to go to vet school with that attitude. :nono:

I waited a few years and thought about what I really wanted to do. When I came to the conclusion that vet med was what I really desired to do, I went back to do it all again...

I retook every single relevant course in which I got a C or worse; and I will be the first to say it was more than a mere few. I also took some upper level biology courses to prove my abilities. My GPA from these courses is a 3.95. And those grades I mentioned above? I'm going to pull up ochem to a B and genetics to an A this semester. It wasn't easy; but I knew what I needed to do.

Now, I'm not saying that this is going to get me accepted, but I wanted to illustrate to you that there is hope. I think that if vet med is what you really want to do with your life, you'll find a way to make it work. Hang in there and DON'T give up - retake those courses and kick their butts! ;)

That makes me feel soooooo good = ) It always feels so lonely when you are in the same situation like me lol... thankyou so much for all the responses I realy appreciate it and I feel really motivated now... mostly because I feel like there is still a chance for me to do what I want now = ) Thankyou so much and good luc to everyone else out there to!!!!!!!! Especially if you are in the same situation I am lol = ) THanks!!!:)

My GPA isn't very good either, and it's definitely the weakest aspect of my application (when it comes time to apply…). Some of you mentioned retaking classes where you got bad grades, like C,D and F's. I have many of all of those!!

But here's my problem, my University is brutal for 2 reasons:

1) You are not aloud to re-take a class with anything over an F. Meaning classes with C's and D's cannot be repeated.
2) My University grades on a bell-curve, no matter what class size.

So here's my scenario - I got a few D's in some pre-reqs. So I've been trying to finds ways to fix this and I was just wondering if you think this would work.

ex) I got a D in a 200 level O-chem. So if I were to take a 300 level O-chem and get an awesome grade it would "replace" my bad grade and the schools would use the "new" class towards my GPA….

Would this work??
I should really email the admissions office and ask too...

It seems like it would work, possibly, but you would need to make sure that the 300 level course was equivalent, but higher. If that makes sense.

And if it makes you feel better, I can retake whatever course I want, but when they average the two grades together, it doesn't really help much. It sucks.

The bell curve thing sounds like a PITA though.

perkypup6260 - I DON'T think you should give up!! If you can re-take classes you should, do anything to make your application better! I truly believe that if you really want to be a vet, you'll find a way to make it happen... even, if it takes a little longer. In the end, you'll be a vet! And that's all that matters!

I love animals and I love helping them!!!!!! Whenever they are hurt in my family everyone calls me to see what they should do... and just recently my best friend and I found a 2 day old cat abandoned by her mother... and we nursed her to today where she is an 8 week old healthy beautiful little thing!!!!!

I don't have any advice to add to the excellent advice you've already gotten about improving your chances for admission to vet school, and I wish you the best of luck in getting in. But I'd like to say, you don't have to be a vet to make a huge difference for shelter and rescue animals. Some of the people who make the biggest difference for such animals are the non-vet volunteers or employees who assist the vets, help socialize the animals, foster, fund-raise, clean, etc.

It sounds like you have a great heart and dedication to animals. I hope you get into vet school, but if you don't, don't let that discourage you from finding other ways to help.

Speaking from the perspective of a vet student, vet school is really really hard. Which is why schools barely glance at applicants with a low GPA. You need to prove to the schools that you can make it through the first few years, because it is rough, and it is no joke. You need to prove to yourself as well that you can do it. Your academic advisor was right when he said with your GPA you wouldn't be able to get in. The only way to do it is to as previous people have said, ace your classes with all A's, and think up a really really good personal statement explaining how your motivation in your later classes makes up for the subpar grades in your previous classes. Also, have you considered becoming a vet tech? You still get a lot of interaction with animals, and have less schooling.

I do LOVE animals and I LOVE helping them... they always make me feel so good and cheery lol... and I have been volunteering at the shelter here and I totally LOVE it...so far I am only on green dot animals but I will make my way up to red no doubt... and I did look into becoming a vet tech but they make like 8 dollars less than what I make now as a phlebotomist and it requires more schooling than phleb. did... so I am a bit hesitant you know?? And beagleone, thankyou very much you made me smile = ) Thankyou all for the awesome advice I really appreciate it!!!!!!!GOD BLESS and Merry Christmas everyone!!!!:)

Speaking from the perspective of a vet student, vet school is really really hard. Which is why schools barely glance at applicants with a low GPA. You need to prove to the schools that you can make it through the first few years, because it is rough, and it is no joke. You need to prove to yourself as well that you can do it. Your academic advisor was right when he said with your GPA you wouldn't be able to get in. The only way to do it is to as previous people have said, ace your classes with all A's, and think up a really really good personal statement explaining how your motivation in your later classes makes up for the subpar grades in your previous classes. Also, have you considered becoming a vet tech? You still get a lot of interaction with animals, and have less schooling.

This!

I don't mean to be a downer- but vet school is a lot harder than college. Your study skills have to be top-notch to survive. There's a reason for the admissions madness.

Figure out what works for you (in terms of your study skills), take the toughest upper-level science classes you can find AND get A's. THEN you'll be ready to apply. Everyone deserves a second chance, but you have to prove that you can handle 30+ credits of intense science classes per semester.

Good luck and stay hopeful! :luck:

Agreed. Vet school is not "hard" in the sense of the depth of material. It is "hard" because of the amount of material thrown at you in the limited time you have. Add to that tons of additional labs, practicals, tests...etc. You will never have enough time to do "quality" studying. It can be an enormous pressure cooker that tends to bring out either the best or worst in people.

If you cannot focus for long (and I mean LONG) periods of time; study all the time; prepare to be tested constantly; learn to work independently and deal with uncertainty all the time...vet school may not be the best choice for you.

That being said, I have never been more happy in my entire life. If you really want this, you have to go big or go home. You have an uphill battle on your hands.

I sincerely wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Agreed. Vet school is not "hard" in the sense of the depth of material. It is "hard" because of the amount of material thrown at you in the limited time you have. Add to that tons of additional labs, practicals, tests...etc. You will never have enough time to do "quality" studying. It can be an enormous pressure cooker that tends to bring out either the best or worst in people.

If you cannot focus for long (and I mean LONG) periods of time; study all the time; prepare to be tested constantly; learn to work independently and deal with uncertainty all the time...vet school may not be the best choice for you.

That being said, I have never been more happy in my entire life. If you really want this, you have to go big or go home. You have an uphill battle on your hands.

I sincerely wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Out of curiosity...how do you handle the course load?? Because I am always worried about not being capable of handling a course load like that...so I was wondering how people who are currently doing it handle it = )

Out of curiosity...how do you handle the course load?? Because I am always worried about not being capable of handling a course load like that...so I was wondering how people who are currently doing it handle it = )

At Davis we take approximately 10 courses per quarter, or 23+ units. Not all of the classes meet throughout the entire quarter, and some of them are pass/fail (most first and second year electives, and handling labs, etc.) The way I manage is that every single day after class I summarize my notes, typed into a study guide outline. That way, by the time the test is approaching, I've already gone over all of the material and have it in a digested format fit for studying. Many of my classmates are scrambling to make their study guides the week/days before an exam, and I've already started studying off of mine. I have an uptight personality that causes me to stress out if I feel too overwhelmed by classes, and this strategy means I have less fun night-to-night, but I really know the material. As an added bonus, I get more out of lectures when I really understand what has been taught the days before, so staying up with the material is how I cope and excel.

OMG Davis is the school I want to go to!!!!!! I have wanted to go there even when I wanted to go to medical school so it is AWESOME to actually get details and information from someone who attends the veterinary school there lol = ) What else might you be able to tell me about it??? = ) :):):)

At Davis we take approximately 10 courses per quarter, or 23+ units. Not all of the classes meet throughout the entire quarter, and some of them are pass/fail (most first and second year electives, and handling labs, etc.) The way I manage is that every single day after class I summarize my notes, typed into a study guide outline. That way, by the time the test is approaching, I've already gone over all of the material and have it in a digested format fit for studying. Many of my classmates are scrambling to make their study guides the week/days before an exam, and I've already started studying off of mine. I have an uptight personality that causes me to stress out if I feel too overwhelmed by classes, and this strategy means I have less fun night-to-night, but I really know the material. As an added bonus, I get more out of lectures when I really understand what has been taught the days before, so staying up with the material is how I cope and excel.

yea - this is my plan this next quarter, moosenanny!!!! :). I was one of the scramblers - and it was not pleasant!

To perky pup - for me, knowing how to study was my biggest challenge. I was out of school for 5 years before heading to vet school, and I must have forgotten all of my study skills. In some ways - I think it might be a blessing in disguise for you to be forced to take time to cultivate the study styles and skillsets that work best for you. And, really - don't worry about the extra time it takes. If this is your dream, then it will be well worth the wait. Better that you learn how you, personally, study and learn best while in undergrad, rather then as a first year vet student. seriously - it has been no fun re-learning how I study best while trying to learn the material. Good luck - i can't wait to hear about your future successes in the next few years. And - i had to make up for an F in my undergrad . . . after which my pre-health advisor told me that I should "look into med school or nursing, cuz no vet school will take you now." I want to go staple my acceptance letter to her head. (also - what the hell? med school is just not the same thing - and has similar stats)! don't let challenges stop you . . . think of them as material for your future personal statement.

As some have already said, there is hope! I started out making mostly B's and C's my first few semesters. But, now, I'm back to making all A's. I think the toughest part for me was dealing with classes that I didn't necessarily care about...like Organic. But, once you get into the more animal related courses it's easy peasy. Not saying you can just skip class all you want and sit back and let the A's roll in - but, they're definitely easier when you're interested in them.

Yes see same here... I have been getting alot of Bs and Cs...but now I am studying harder than I ever did before since I finally know what I want lol = ) I am so excited... I am DEFINITELY going to get myself into veterinary school = ) :laugh:

You don't have a choice..you take it one day at a time. I do the reading, take notes during class, and summarize stuff after class/look at old tests, handouts, etc. like most folks. It becomes an entrenched routine. I go to tutorials/review if I feel I don't have a handle on the material.

This being said, I don't belong to every club on campus, party a lot, or cram.

The only bummer (as I see it) is every once in a while when a professor gives a test that doesn't reflect the material, etc. I guess this is life and I know by now that it is not fair.

Found out my term 1 marks today and some were worse than expected but some were better than expected. I was bummed out at first because I am trying to raise my GPA, but I decided I have all next term to get straight A's :) Hope my positive attitude pays off and gets me into vet school !!:thumbup:

alrighty... so this upcoming semester I am going to be taking biogeography, evolution, organic chemistry I (again), and herpetology... how do you think it will look to vet schools if I manage to get As in all of these classes??? Alot of people said it would be good to take a lot of upper division science courses and kick a** in them... these are all upper division (BIOL 415, 432, and 490, and CHEM 241)...what do you all think???:)