You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Should I list DO experiences in AMCAS application and or allopathic secondaries?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Yes. It's the same profession, it's not like shadowing a pod and putting it down.
Include it in the same space with your other physician shadowing.I'm trying to get a DO shadowing in a month or so and finish it before applying to medical next spring. I'm trying to decide whether I should I list this experience on my AMCAS next year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A
AnatomyGrey12
They might ask you at the interview why you shadowed a DO for significant time or so, so be prepared to answer that. Why do you want to be an MD but are actively looking to shadow a DO? I'm interested as well haha
Just.... no.
A
AnatomyGrey12
No one will ever ask you that. A DO is a doctor. They do the same thing as MDs. It's not like shadowing a podiatrist or a PA, something that is a different career entirely.
? I don't understand
A
AnatomyGrey12
Geez obviously. But they implied they are applying to an MD school. It would be interesting to know why he'd choose allopathic over osteopathic. Usually there's a difference in the type of personality between those, since osteopathic is more holistic. Maybe he has something unique to say about it. There IS a difference career wise also. More than half of DO's are primary care, what if he tried it out and doesn't want to do that, maybe he can give an interesting point of view on it. Better to be over-prepared than under.
Just... no.
Appropriate response. A physician is a physician. This is shadowing, nothing more and nothing less. I highly doubt the degree will be brought up. There’s heavier loads to carry.Awesome response
I shadowed 3 doctors, two were DO's. No one asked me about it at all. I did have some questions on my shadowing in general but nothing to do with the physician and just asking me about my personal experiences with it. Overall i had around 40 DO shadowing hours and only 10 MD.
Include it in the same space with your other physician shadowing.
thanks for your input!
wouldn't it be hard then to describe multiple shadowing experiences/ activities in one ACTIVITY/ EXPERIENCE?
I shadowed 3 doctors, two were DO's. No one asked me about it at all. I did have some questions on my shadowing in general but nothing to do with the physician and just asking me about my personal experiences with it. Overall i had around 40 DO shadowing hours and only 10 MD.
it does make sense that a doctor is a doctor. Did you list those 3 experiences as separate entries on your AMCAS and AACOMAS? did you a get letter from any of them?
it seems you made it to a medical school. if so, DO or MD?
thanks for your input!
wouldn't it be hard then to describe multiple shadowing experiences/ activities in one ACTIVITY/ EXPERIENCE?
You really don't need to describe shadowing experiences. Everyone knows what they are. I just listed the doctors i shadowed, specialty, theiro contact info, and number of hours all in one.
it does make sense that a doctor is a doctor. Did you list those 3 experiences as separate entries on your AMCAS and AACOMAS? did you a get letter from any of them?
it seems you made it to a medical school. if so, DO or MD?
I listed them all as one entry. I didn't get any letters from them. And i am currently still in the middle of the application cycle but i have been accepted to two MD schools so far and still waiting to hear back from some others I've interviewed at since they're non rolling
I listed them all as one entry. I didn't get any letters from them. And i am currently still in the middle of the application cycle but i have been accepted to two MD schools so far and still waiting to hear back from some others I've interviewed at since they're non rolling
nice! congrats on your 2 acceptances! you must have had great scores.
did you have other activities than shadowing?
Little description is needed. Adcomms know what the experience entails. If you follow the link in my signature line and go to post #2, there's an example of a Shadowing decription for multiple docs at item #10.thanks for your input!
wouldn't it be hard then to describe multiple shadowing experiences/ activities in one ACTIVITY/ EXPERIENCE?
To clarify: I was wrong, no one will ask you about it. Been educated!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 789
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 741
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 616