This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terebellumjokes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Wondering if I could get some opinions on what is “ok” for a secondary essay. I’m reapplying this cycle (waitlisted last cycle) and don’t want to elaborate on things I might’ve already written about.

I’ve been making my own wine for over 10 years now, and my initial interest in science is largely attributed to making wine as a teenager. Ever since i started, i only used wild flavors like lychees, dandelions, sake, or Apple ginger “champagne.” I never tried selling it til this year and I sold out hundreds of bottles in two weeks (couple grand in my pocket). I reinvested it into expanding and now I have 8 flavors coming out, and working on being the only licensed winery in my city. All fun stuff but also illegal until I can get $10,000 in liability bonds and $3000 for the winery license...

So. Is this too risky to write about in a “how will you add to the diversity...” secondary essay? I don’t want to bore you guys but I really could write forever about how it’s changed the way I experience food/drinks. Sometimes I feel like it’s the intersection of a kitchen and a laboratory. If it’s too risky for a secondary I could write about something else and possible mention it as an “artistic endeavor” on my work/activities section.

Any input is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say given the scale of things, it seems like an important and legitimate activity that demonstrates certain skills that would be great to add to your app..... until you said it was illegal.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it sounds totally interesting. Agree that the legality issues open you up to some uncomfortable questions- is it possible to just speak of it as a hobby and avoid that landmine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Wondering if I could get some opinions on what is “ok” for a secondary essay. I’m reapplying this cycle (waitlisted last cycle) and don’t want to elaborate on things I might’ve already written about.

I’ve been making my own wine for over 10 years now, and my initial interest in science is largely attributed to making wine as a teenager. Ever since i started, i only used wild flavors like lychees, dandelions, sake, or Apple ginger “champagne.” I never tried selling it til this year and I sold out hundreds of bottles in two weeks (couple grand in my pocket). I reinvested it into expanding and now I have 8 flavors coming out, and working on being the only licensed winery in my city. All fun stuff but also illegal until I can get $10,000 in liability bonds and $3000 for the winery license...

So. Is this too risky to write about in a “how will you add to the diversity...” secondary essay? I don’t want to bore you guys but I really could write forever about how it’s changed the way I experience food/drinks. Sometimes I feel like it’s the intersection of a kitchen and a laboratory. If it’s too risky for a secondary I could write about something else and possible mention it as an “artistic endeavor” on my work/activities section.

Any input is appreciated :)
Absolutely! My wife is a wine devotee and would love you.

Just don't apply to Loma Linda or LUCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds like a very unique hobby to include. I don’t think this would be a good diversity essay but an activity entry, absolutely! If you have two other solid clinical or research related “most meaningful” activities, this could even be a most meaningful activity.

I also think you could use it in a more pertinent secondary prompt. At U of Miami, for example, one of their questions specifically asked about creative & artistic endeavors.

Last edited:
Absolutely! My wife is a wine devotee and would love you.

Just don't apply to Loma Linda or LUCOM.

Thanks again Goro! So it’s okay even though it was illegal at the time?

This sounds like a very unique hobby to include. I don’t think this would be a good diversity essay but an activity entry, absolutely! If you have two other solid clinical or research related “most meaningful” activities, this could even be a most meaningful activity.

I also think you could use it in a more pertinent secondary prompt. At U of Miami, for example, one of their questions specifically asked about creative & artistic endeavors.
Yeah I think I’ll take your advice here. I can mention being biracial or having two ministers as parents. I’ll make the wine hustle a most important work/activity or specific secondary :) thank you

1. What are your stats? Listing winemaking and seeming legitimate is much easier when you're at 3.9/515 than when you're at 3.0/500.
2. I would stay away from listing your age when you started, since its technically illegal to drink under 21 in the US.
3. Spend a decent amount of time describing making wine, the mix of science and art in it, and try to make a link to liking the science aspects of science.

Otherwise feel like this could actually be really cool imo, not something the average premed lists.

Edit: as an essay or activity--would be better to see it in long form

Does it look bad to be applying to medical schoo and say you recently invested into your business and actively working on expanding it? As a medical student you won't be able to split your time with business.

How on earth would Adcoms know what is legal and what's not?

Well in order to sell bottles I would need to be a certified winery, which I am not lol (it’s an expensive process). Also I would like to mention doing it for 10+ years but if they do some quick math they’ll figure out it was illegal as a 14yr old. I’m assuming adcoms will know it’s illegal, I’m just unsure to what degree they’ll care.

1. What are your stats? Listing winemaking and seeming legitimate is much easier when you're at 3.9/515 than when you're at 3.0/500.
2. I would stay away from listing your age when you started, since its technically illegal to drink under 21 in the US.
3. Spend a decent amount of time describing making wine, the mix of science and art in it, and try to make a link to liking the science aspects of science.

Otherwise feel like this could actually be really cool imo, not something the average premed lists.

Edit: as an essay or activity--would be better to see it in long form
I’m what my advisor called “quasi-competitive”
3.3/515 - 1500hrs PCE as an MA - no research - 3000hrs working at a homeless shelter for youth (currently an art teacher there) - 150hrs volunteering making a 150sqft mural at a resource center - no awards - graduated with term GPA 4.0 and a brain tumor.

I’m an unconventional applicant so I gave up NYU or research heavy schools. I think I got a real shot with DO school though.

Does it look bad to be applying to medical schoo and say you recently invested into your business and actively working on expanding it? As a medical student you won't be able to split your time with business.

Hm yeah, good point. I am nowhere near having enough resources to actually put it on liquor store shelves yet. I have prioritized my medical career and really only do this as a slowly growing hobby (that sometimes pays for my vacations).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it sounds totally interesting. Agree that the legality issues open you up to some uncomfortable questions- is it possible to just speak of it as a hobby and avoid that landmine?

Only if I don’t mention
A) how old I was when I started
B) where the money to expand came from

It’s hard bc I feel like making wine as a high schooler had such an impact on my interest in science so I’d hate to leave that out. The entire business side I can omit if I say I invested using funds from my other 2 jobs, but I do like the accomplished feeling of making something completely my own with a huge demand for it... I had to limit people to two bottles a person or else I would’ve sold out in less than a week.

I would say given the scale of things, it seems like an important and legitimate activity that demonstrates certain skills that would be great to add to your app..... until you said it was illegal.

Maybe I can use it for an adversity essay: “How I overcame the obstacle of underage drinking restrictions through bootlegging”

Kidding ofc.

It’s frustrating because I feel like the illegal components really embellish the story. Like renting out other peoples sheds and basement spaces to brew after school. I’ll do my best to focus more on the artistic aspects than the novelty of a 14yr old vintner.

Well in order to sell bottles I would need to be a certified winery, which I am not lol (it’s an expensive process). Also I would like to mention doing it for 10+ years but if they do some quick math they’ll figure out it was illegal as a 14yr old. I’m assuming adcoms will know it’s illegal, I’m just unsure to what degree they’ll care.
Just list it as a hobby, and Don't stick your neck into any nooses.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how illegal it is to be doing this as a 14 yo under the supervision of your parents.... were you under their supervision? or, at least, were they aware and giving your permission? Because then I feel like you could act like that was how it transpired, and I don't see any issue. Plenty of kids are raised in a winery sort of culture.

I don't know how illegal it is to be doing this as a 14 yo under the supervision of your parents.... were you under their supervision? or, at least, were they aware and giving your permission? Because then I feel like you could act like that was how it transpired, and I don't see any issue. Plenty of kids are raised in a winery sort of culture.

After the first 5 or so batches I gave it to my parents and explained that I had been making wine for artistic purposes. They’re both ministers but they knew i was passionate about it so they allowed me to do it at home. That or they loved the concept of turning water to wine so that’s how they let it slide lol.

Thanks for the input. Overall I think I’m gonna use this story in one of my 3 influential work/activity essays and omit the selling of it. Also I’ll say it was done in my own home and under supervision after my first secret batch. Every kids got secrets, i don’t think adcoms will hate that.

uh, why is it important to mention the secret batch? I'm not an adcom (but I do rate MMIs), but even at 14, not sure I would like that, or at least, I wouldn't like that an applicant didn't see fit to leave that unessential but doesn't look good bit of info out. Projecting a wholesome and professional image is part of being a physician. I like to see evidence of it at the admission phase (provided we're not talking hardcore blatant dishonesty).

Oh Lord Loma Linda and LU don't care if you make wine. Why would anyone care, unless it wasn't any good? ;)