Should I retake the MCAT? What will improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 505 on the new MCAT. This is the third time I've taken it and each time my score has improved. This cycle I managed to get one interview at the University of Vermont (I was later rejected); I haven't heard back from most of the schools after secondaries, but it's already December. My GPA is 3.76 and my BCPM GPA is 3.62. I know I need more experience, which is what I'm working on this year. I'm working as a phlebotomist, I'll be shadowing different physicians, and volunteering. To get into school next cycle, should I retake the MCAT? Taking it four times probably doesn't look good, but my score will probably improve. What else do I need to do to improve my chances for next year? I assume I need to work on my interviewing as well since I didn't get into UVM. Should I just accept that I won't be able to get into some medical schools and aim lower?

Edit: my MCAT scores before were 26 (old MCAT) and 503.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a 505 on the new MCAT. This is the third time I've taken it and each time my score has improved. This cycle I managed to get one interview at the University of Vermont (I was later rejected); I haven't heard back from most of the schools after secondaries, but it's already December. My GPA is 3.76 and my BCPM GPA is 3.62. I know I need more experience, which is what I'm working on this year. I'm working as a phlebotomist, I'll be shadowing different physicians, and volunteering. To get into school next cycle, should I retake the MCAT? Taking it four times probably doesn't look good, but my score will probably improve. What else do I need to do to improve my chances for next year? I assume I need to work on my interviewing as well since I didn't get into UVM. Should I just accept that I won't be able to get into some medical schools and aim lower?
DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Score breakdown? - yes you need to retake, but if you've taken it 3 times and you're at a 505, you might need to look into tutoring or a class (if you haven't already)
Did you submit day 1?
How many schools did you apply to?
Research?
Non-clinical activities that you're passionate about?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this "do" or "D.O."?
Are you a URM or ORM? what is your home state? Currently from where I am sitting your chances of matriculating at an MD school are very slim considering you have multiple MCATS below 505.

Score breakdown? - yes you need to retake, but if you've taken it 3 times and you're at a 505, you might need to look into tutoring or a class (if you haven't already)
Did you submit day 1?
How many schools did you apply to?
Research?
Non-clinical activities that you're passionate about?
I submitted the primary application day 1. I applied to about 15. I was a research assistant in a psychology lab, but I haven't published any research. I do art in my free time (drawing, sculpting, painting, jewelry making)--if that's what you mean by non-clinical activities. My got a 508 on the practice MCAT supplied by AAMC.

Are you a URM or ORM? what is your home state? Currently from where I am sitting your chances of matriculating at an MD school are very slim considering you have multiple MCATS below 505.
I'm Hispanic. I'm from Colorado. Maybe I should just try D.O.s instead of M.D.s

Spanish, so I'm white lol.
If you can Score greater than 514 on the MCAT retake, otherwise apply DO and apply broadly. Do you have volunteering work? Your state school's 10th percentile MCAT is above your mcat, it doesnt look like MD will fly. Do you have any clinical experience that you listed on the app?

If you can Score greater than 514 on the MCAT retake, otherwise apply DO and apply broadly. Do you have volunteering work? Your state school's 10th percentile MCAT is above your mcat, it doesnt look like MD will fly. Do you have any clinical experience that you listed on the app?
I volunteered at an urgent care clinic 54 hours total. I also worked for a psychotherapist doing insurance paperwork. Those were on my application.

I volunteered at an urgent care clinic 54 hours total. I also worked for a psychotherapist doing insurance paperwork. Those were on my application.
DO.

I think that you've plateaued your MCAT performance and yet another retake will not magically boost your score. Hence, aim for DO schools.

Edit: my MCAT scores before were 26 (old MCAT) and 503.

26 -> 27 -> 28 doesn't really predict an MD-competitive score on round four

Should have applied DO after the 26 and be done (?) with Medical School by now instead of putting yourself through torture taking it 3 times and only increasing your score by 2 points.