Jan 13, 2019
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509 (130, 123,130,126)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.69, sGPA: 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Oregon
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer to stay somewhere in the west coast, state school OHSU is the dream school.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Around 500 hours volunteering clinical, 200 non-clinical, 500+ research, 1000+ scribing internal medicine.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I took FL1 and FL2 2 weeks and 5 days before the actual MCAT respectively. Scored 506 and 509. Also I am an immigrant, parents did not attend college, English is my 2nd language, came to the US 12 years ago.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? c/p and b/b are on target at around 128-131 (FL1-FL2), cars in FL1 was 125, FL2 was 124, PS was 126 in both FL1/FL2, I only took 2 FL's before the actual exam. I did not take much time practicing CARS or PS (Did not do the SB and QP), I think if I try to practice them more I can bring the score up, but I do not want to if my chances are good for my state school or any other weast coast MD school in 2020 cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCATKINGS

MCATKINGS

MCAT Adviser + Planner who runs MCATBROS
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Do you have orm friends at your current state school?

Jan 13, 2019
Oct 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 508 (126/125/128/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.79, sGPA: 3.6 at a top 10 university. I am a chem major so maybe my grades/background will compensate for that low C/P score?
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): CA
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): URM (Mexican)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer to stay somewhere on the west coast, but I understand that might not be reasonable at this point. Hoping to get into a mid-tier school.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: ~250 hours volunteering in a clinic for underserved patient populations (involved doing their medical interviews). Spent one summer working in a lab and the past two years in a different lab where I will be on a publication (but very far down on the author list). Interned at a pharmaceutical company this past summer. First-gen college student. Hoping to shadow this year.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I studied while working full time at my internship so that was tough. I read through and took notes on all the Kaplan material and used AAMC practice questions throughout (diagnostic test, FLs, section bank). Crammed the KA psych doc in the last week.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? My score was definitely on the lower end of my FL scores (see below) and I ran out of time on the first two sections even though I had been practicing my time management and thought I had improved it. I was able to study full time over the last couple weeks and after taking FL 3 a week out, I thought I could pull off a decent score if I just worked on P/S. I don't know what to think about how much better I can do. It seems like I would do better if I was able to study full time this coming summer, but that would mean not applying this cycle which I was sort of set on. I also fear not increasing my score enough for it to make a difference. I tested recently so right now I am feeling very depressed and disillusioned about this whole system and absolutely dreading the idea of a retake, but maybe with some time my mind will change and if it seems absolutely necessary for me to retake then I will figure it out. Any advice would help so much, thanks.
    1. FL 1 511 (128, 126, 129, 128)
    2. FL 2 507 (127, 125, 128, 127)
    3. FL 3 511 (129, 128, 128, 126)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm pretty much planning on retaking, but I want to make sure I'm not being dumb.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 507 (127/127/126/127)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 3.0 (senior year, STRONG upward trend when I changed from bioengineering to biochemistry last spring. 4.0 is very likely for this semester and next, bringing those up slightly). I will most likely have a cGPA: 3.34 and sGPA: 3.2 by the time I apply. Still not great, I realize.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Utah
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Asian/Pacific Islander
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): UUSOM, if at all possible. It would be fantastic for my husband's desired program also. Otherwise, preferably MD, but would consider DO as well.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 4500+ hours as a CNA, started last month as an EEG tech, 100 hours clinical volunteering, 200 hours non clinical volunteering, 1000 hours of research with a pub and a poster by next app cycle, excellent LOR's from vice chair of anesthesiology at the U's hospital, my professors, and my bosses, TA for biochem/entrepreneurial lead on a project with some upper admins of hospital. Many hours of shadowing in different specialties.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: 2-3 months over the summer while working, going to school, and doing research. Very part time. Took some anki decks that were premade, did the FL's, and didn't finish the AAMC material.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes. I have a plan to study 20 hours a week (and more over Christmas break) and take in March. I would rather not go much later because next semester is going to be extremely busy for me. I was not completely solid on content, and have not used all my resources. I took it anyways because I was really hoping to not have to deal with it over this last school year.

As an aside, I would really like to avoid doing a post bacc if at all possible. My husband is going to be going for his PhD, and I don't want to hold him back from applying, nor am I willing to live apart from him. Aside from that, the U doesn't have an official post bacc program. Let me know if that is unreasonable though.

Last edited:

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
MCAT score was 510: CP 125/ CARS 127/ BB 129/ PS 129
GPA: 3.85 at a top 20 college
sGPA: 3.85
TX resident
White female
Goal Med School: UT Dell or UT Southwestern, UT McGovern
ECs: track and field team, public health internship in Haiti, public health in Switzerland, 2 labs (unpublished), work for a medical records nonprofit
My studying was self-paced and I had not taken any physics yet
I think I could do better if I took a class but I am applying in June and would only have about a month between semesters to truly grind

Is it worth it? I appreciate any advice very much.
You don't need a mcat class (if that is what you were referring to by class) to do better. Hit the 300 page notes/anki decks + CARS daily +Berkeley Review CP + ALL QUESTIONS + more practice exams if you are going to do this. The added physics will help.

How much did you study for your MCAT? How set are you on UT Southwestern?

Aug 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should retake the MCAT. I'm currently in the heat of the 2019-2020 application cycle; I applied to 24 programs which are listed below. The majority of my secondaries were complete in late July/early August. So far, I've received 1 interview at an MD program where I was recently waitlisted. Of course it's still early in the cycle, however, I want to be prepared for the worst. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

MCAT score: 509 (128/126/129/126)

cGPA/sGPA: 3.55/3.41 with an upward trend

Extracurricular activities:
-Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hours spent helping children with disabilities at a local school, 40 hours spent teaching health education while on an international volunteer trip, and 100 hours spent working with athletes with disabilities
-Clinical volunteering: 200 hours in an outpatient pediatric therapy clinic
-Research: 50 hours of data entry/monitoring patients
-Clinical experience: 1200+ hours split between working as a medical scribe and therapy technician
-Shadowing: 20 hours
-Recently certified EMT
-3 years on the club baseball team

LOR writers (5 total): 3 professors + 2 therapists, all of which I have solid relationships with.

PS: Reviewed by multiple people, including my pre-med advisor.

Other parts of my application:
-Raised in a rural, medically underserved area
-Applied as a disadvantaged applicant
-Attended a top 25 university

School list: Vermont, Tufts, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, WVU, UTHSC, VCU, EVMS, VTC, Albany, NYMC, UoA Tucson, Minnesota, Tulane, Loyola, Geisinger, Indiana, Alabama, Rush, MCW, Wake Forest, Georgetown, GWU

Last edited:

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
From the looks of it, you have a solid resume and your MCAT score is somewhere around the 77% percentile, which puts you around the 45th percentile of allopathic accepted students. I see no glaring weaknesses at the moment and therefore see no reason to take it again.

Even if for some reason 'the worst' happens, it may behoove you to just rack up EMT hours and leadership experiences or broaden your schools to include DO where the average accepted MCAT is 503.

The only reason I would retake it is if you have to be at a top school for research reasons. A 508 is an underdog for those cases.

Hope this helps,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

MCATKINGS

Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What is your race/ethnicity?

Aug 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
From the looks of it, you have a solid resume and your MCAT score is somewhere around the 77% percentile, which puts you around the 45th percentile of allopathic accepted students. I see no glaring weaknesses at the moment and therefore see no reason to take it again.

Even if for some reason 'the worst' happens, it may behoove you to just rack up EMT hours and leadership experiences or broaden your schools to include DO where the average accepted MCAT is 503.

The only reason I would retake it is if you have to be at a top school for research reasons. A 508 is an underdog for those cases.

Hope this helps,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you so much for the advice!

Oct 9, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't need a mcat class (if that is what you were referring to by class) to do better. Hit the 300 page notes/anki decks + CARS daily +Berkeley Review CP + ALL QUESTIONS + more practice exams if you are going to do this. The added physics will help.

How much did you study for your MCAT? How set are you on UT Southwestern?
I studied about 250 hours over 3.5 months for my MCAT. I'm not set on UT Southwestern, I would also be interested in UT Dell

Dec 28, 2017
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513- 127/127/129/130
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA: 3.96 sgpa: 3.92 (TMDSAS)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):TX
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Any texas md school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2 Summer research programs, lab at home institution for 5 semesters, couple abstracts and posters, thesis will be done by senior year. 200 hours clinical volunteering, 100 hours shadowing, 360 hours community service, 1 semester TA. I have applied this cycle and have received 2 TMDSAS ii's and one AMCAS ii. I have not pre-matched and am on hold at the AMCAS school. I want to be prepared in case I have to reapply. I am planning on increasing my clinical volunteering, normal volunteering, and shadowing hours. I am currently a senior with a light final year, so I was planning on retaking in March/April and then applying next cycle.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: The first time I took the MCAT, i started studying in May and took it in January. I had not taken physics 2 at that time. My physics 1 knowledge also was not solid. I studied during the summer really well, but I didn't study as well during the school year because I was busy. I also took biochem during that semester. I was scoring 129/130 consistently on CP, 124-126 on cars, 128-130 on BB, and 129-130 on PS.
The biggest issue for me on C/P on the actual exam was the calculations. I could not do them fast enough. I also had a weak physics background, which hurt me on the exam as it hit my physics weaknesses. For Bio, I wish I had spent more time learning A&P. I also feel like I did not review my weaknesses enough. I also feel like I did not really focus on why I was missing questions. I don't know if that makes sense, but I could have reviewed my strategies more. I also did not do enough CARS practice, which is my weakest subject. I think it was a fluke that I got a 127 on the real thing.

AAMC test scores
FL1: 514
FL2: 509- lot of noises and distractions during the exam
FL3: 515
Sample: 513-514
  1. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes I do think I can do better. Right before the exam, I was getting the hang of CARS, but by then it was too late to try out my strategies. I also think with a stronger physics background, I can do much better on C/P. I also realized that I should have reviewed my UWORLD mistakes more as so many similar questions showed up on my exams.

Dec 11, 2017
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513- 127/127/129/130
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA: 3.96 sgpa: 3.92 (TMDSAS)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):TX
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Any texas md school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2 Summer research programs, lab at home institution for 5 semesters, couple abstracts and posters, thesis will be done by senior year. 200 hours clinical volunteering, 100 hours shadowing, 360 hours community service, 1 semester TA. I have applied this cycle and have received 2 TMDSAS ii's and one AMCAS ii. I have not pre-matched and am on hold at the AMCAS school. I want to be prepared in case I have to reapply. I am planning on increasing my clinical volunteering, normal volunteering, and shadowing hours. I am currently a senior with a light final year, so I was planning on retaking in March/April and then applying next cycle.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: The first time I took the MCAT, i started studying in May and took it in January. I had not taken physics 2 at that time. My physics 1 knowledge also was not solid. I studied during the summer really well, but I didn't study as well during the school year because I was busy. I also took biochem during that semester. I was scoring 129/130 consistently on CP, 124-126 on cars, 128-130 on BB, and 129-130 on PS.
The biggest issue for me on C/P on the actual exam was the calculations. I could not do them fast enough. I also had a weak physics background, which hurt me on the exam as it hit my physics weaknesses. For Bio, I wish I had spent more time learning A&P. I also feel like I did not review my weaknesses enough. I also feel like I did not really focus on why I was missing questions. I don't know if that makes sense, but I could have reviewed my strategies more. I also did not do enough CARS practice, which is my weakest subject. I think it was a fluke that I got a 127 on the real thing.

AAMC test scores
FL1: 514
FL2: 509- lot of noises and distractions during the exam
FL3: 515
Sample: 513-514
  1. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes I do think I can do better. Right before the exam, I was getting the hang of CARS, but by then it was too late to try out my strategies. I also think with a stronger physics background, I can do much better on C/P. I also realized that I should have reviewed my UWORLD mistakes more as so many similar questions showed up on my exams.
Your MCAT/GPA is not what’s holding you back from admission to any program in Texas other than maybe UTSW or Baylor and if they liked other aspects of your app and you interviewed well, you’d get in there too. Don’t retake.

Reactions: Spybil

Icy14

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'm semi happy with my score. I wasn't going to retake it because I think my ECs are strong enough by this point, however, I am realizing that my score will be expiring for many schools by the 2020/2021 cycle. I took it September 2017. I haven't thought about a school list too hard at this point, but I have a general list of ~24 possible schools based on my GPA and MCAT. I just checked and my score will be expired for all but 10 of them... I don't want to limit my options, and part of me has wanted to retake it anyway.
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509 (126/127/127/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.97, sGPA 3.96
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): born/raised/did undergrad in ND, MN resident for the past year
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): white
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): University of MN
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
    • Spanish minor, and also worked as a Spanish teaching assistant (1 year)
    • Biology teaching assistant (1 semester)
    • Hospital CNA (~300 hours)
    • Clinical volunteering: hospital volunteering in different departments (6 semesters)
    • Community volunteering: tutored refugee high school students, Salvation Army receptionist, Meals on Wheels driver, now teaching ESL
    • Summer microbiology research internship (1 summer)
    • Clinical research intern in ED (7 months)
    • Now working full time doing clinical cardiovascular research, and will get at least several publications out of this.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I studied for months and took a Kaplan course, but I definitely focused too much on learning small details than proper strategy. I didn't do enough full length practice tests.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes. On the 2 full length AAMC practice tests, I scored 511 each time. I was disappointed to drop 2 points, even though I understand 509 is in the margin of error for 511. I also didn't feel quite right taking it at that time. I didn't sleep or eat well in the days leading up to the test. I felt okay, but not great, on test day. At the time, I was also struggling with focus/brain fog issues, but I have since figured out a diet that makes me MUCH more clear-headed so I think that would help. The only problem is that I work full time, so not a lot of time to study...

Sep 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I've been trying to build a school list for next cycle and I feel like my MCAT might be holding me back. Let me know if I'm crazy for thinking of retaking.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513 (129/128/128/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.67 (strong upward trend, 3.9+ both c and s for last 2 years of college)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Minnesota
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Main goal is to be a doc, but would ideally want to attend a research-focused school in a large city
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Attended T3 undergrad; Strongest ECs are research-related, but meet all requirements for service, shadowing, etc.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: This is why I'm thinking of retaking. I studied full-time for 3 weeks (probably ~100 hr) immediately following graduation (June 2018). I didn't feel totally prepared, but I was regularly scoring 3-5 points higher on practice tests.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I am fairly certain I can do better. I wouldn't retake unless I was scoring consistently much higher.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I've been trying to build a school list and I feel like my MCAT might be holding me back. Let me know if I'm crazy for thinking of retaking.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513 (129/128/128/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.67 (strong upward trend, 3.9+ both c and s for last 2 years of college)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Minnesota
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Main goal is to be a doc, but would ideally want to attend a research-focused school in a large city
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Attended T3 undergrad; Strongest ECs are research-related, but meet all requirements for service, shadowing, etc.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: This is why I'm thinking of retaking. I studied full-time for 3 weeks (probably ~100 hr) immediately following graduation (June 2018). I didn't feel totally prepared, but I was regularly scoring 3-5 points higher on practice tests.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I am fairly certain I can do better. I wouldn't retake unless I was scoring consistently much higher.
I have a 504 (127/123/127/127) and was accepted OOS MD. You do not need to retake a balanced 513. That's near 90 percentile! Guaranteed there is something other than that wrong with your application because of 513 and 3.7+ is not what is holding you back.

Reactions: MCATKINGS
Sep 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a 504 (127/123/127/127) and was accepted OOS MD. You do not need to retake a balanced 513. That's near 90 percentile! Guaranteed there is something other than that wrong with your application because of 513 and 3.7+ is not what is holding you back.
I haven’t applied yet lol

The reason that I’m thinking about this is that my ideal schools are a bit out of MCAT range. I am confident in my application otherwise.

Jul 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I haven’t applied yet lol

The reason that I’m thinking about this is that my ideal schools are a bit out of MCAT range. I am confident in my application otherwise.
Nah you got this. Even if you retake and get a 518 persay that is like a 7% improvement in percentile.....that's not much at all. I believe you can get into the schools you want to.

• Love
Reactions: premedt18