This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
see this thread

Just a heads up, i merged the retake threads here to keep things in one thread. Your post can be found in post #309 (just a few posts above)

I cannot advise a retake. A 512 is a great score, and I think retaking the exam could be really risky. Assuming the rest of your app is strong and well-rounded, you should have a successful cycle.
So that's kind of one thing I am concerned about- I definitely have a huge weakness in my science GPA. Because of my major, the only classes contributing to my sGPA are the prerequisites and unfortunately I have around a 3.3 sGPA. I do have a strong upward trend and go to a school sort of notorious for grade deflation but I was really hoping to balance out a less than stellar GPA with a high MCAT which is why I was considering a retake.

So that's kind of one thing I am concerned about- I definitely have a huge weakness in my science GPA. Because of my major, the only classes contributing to my sGPA are the prerequisites and unfortunately I have around a 3.3 sGPA. I do have a strong upward trend and go to a school sort of notorious for grade deflation but I was really hoping to balance out a less than stellar GPA with a high MCAT which is why I was considering a retake.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I would actually recommend trying to take some more upper level science courses if possible. I think this could not only benefit your science gpa, but it will be good to have some more upper levels on your transcript if you currently only have the prerequisites. If you are in a bind and cannot take more courses, I still think you could have some luck with a good school list. You scored fairly well in the science sections on the MCAT, too, so I think that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Hello, I'm applying this cycle to DO and some MD but unsure if it is worthwhile to consider a retake at this point. Thanks.
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): first (only) time- 505: 126/125/127/127
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): uGPA ~3.9, sGPA ~3.8
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): NM
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): neither
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): MD ("low" tier) or DO ("mid/high" tier)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: non-trad, career-changing, haven't taken some science pre-reqs in 7+ years
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: did decent amount of study (some Kaplan and Princeton with AAMC bank) while busy with work and online class- range of practices = 503-515 (only one 510+ anomaly) with an average = ~506
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? not sure of improvement on C/P (my weakest scientific subjects and a little pleasantly surprised to score more than 125) and CARS (ESL and had a hard time finishing up the passages); possible on B/B (my major in undergrad was bio.) and P/S? (most practices were ~127 = actual test score)

Last edited:
It depends on what you missed and why really IMHO. If you aa lot of anxiety and feel your score was significantly below what you are capable of achieving, and you can get in a solid 300-500 hours that you can pour into preparation without hurting your GPA or application essays, I'd try taking it again, especially if you have more goog MCAT practice exams you have not already taken. I saw a girl with impeccable credentials with an MCAT of 524 and GPA of 4.0 from a top 10 school apply to 15 schools and not get into a single program, so the competition is fierce.

It depends on what you missed and why really IMHO. If you aa lot of anxiety and feel your score was significantly below what you are capable of achieving, and you can get in a solid 300-500 hours that you can pour into preparation without hurting your GPA or application essays, I'd try taking it again, especially if you have more goog MCAT practice exams you have not already taken. I saw a girl with impeccable credentials with an MCAT of 524 and GPA of 4.0 from a top 10 school apply to 15 schools and not get into a single program, so the competition is fierce.

Thank you @Jeff0302 for you reply. I fully understand the competitive nature of the application and the weight of the MCAT. If I happen to be unfortunate with no luck this cycle, I will be retaking next year. My list of schools is pretty expansive and I am hoping to generate some interest. When it comes to the MCAT, it is truly "a tale of two halves" for me. I took ~6 practice tests in the last month of prep (which wasn't ideal) and only twice broke the 250+ mark on C/P and CARS (BTW, not once did I score more than 125 on CARS). I believe that I can get a couple of points more on the B/B and P/S sections but C/P and CARS would be exponentially more challenging especially considering that I have not taken a chemistry or physics course in nearly a decade and English is my 'second' language so I am not a very proficient reader. Thank you again for the feedback @Jeff0302 and I will keep a retake on the table after this cycle.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): Only taken the MCAT once, total of 512 (85%) CP 129 (91%) CARS 125 (60%) BB 130 (96%) PS 128 (79%) I am concerned with how much lower my CARS score is compared to the other scores and I am curious if that could hurt me?
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): I am an undergrad, my cumulative GPA is a 4.00
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Colorado (United States)
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): University of Colorado Anschutz School of Medicine, I am really hoping to stay in Colorado, but I will move if I don't get accepted in state. Applying MD only
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I don't have outstanding ECs, I volunteered in the emergency department once a week for a year, have about 100 hours non-clinical volunteering. I am currently working on finding shadowing hours and hoping to get a job with patient contact. I am also looking for research experience. I plan on applying in the upcoming cycle.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I did not take biochem or orgo 2 before taking the MCAT, I studied for 2.5 months over the summer.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I am fairly certain I would score higher if I took it again, I would likely spend extra time on CARS and PS.
Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to decide if I should take my MCAT again or not. I got a 512 (128/127/127/130) on my exam in September. My FL scores were all over the place 509,505,516,505. I would be studying over the semester and taking it again in January. My GPA is a 3.8 and I'm expecting it to go up in the next two semesters before I apply for medical school. I am Asian, a Texas resident, and I would love to stay in Texas. I have been looking at Texas schools, especially Dell, UTSW, McGovern, and San Antonio's Long School, and I am very worried that since I'm not in the median for some of these schools my chances will be lower. Please let me know if I will still have a good chance of getting into these schools with the score, if not I will most likely be retaking. I just wish I had gotten like 2 points higher or something like that. My extracurriculars are pretty solid. Thank you for your help!

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 512 (128/127/127/130)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): uGPA: 3.8, expecting it to go up more
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): TX
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): MD mid to high tier
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: involved in research, have 100s of volunteering hours, leadership positions,
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: studied for a decent amount (2 months or more). FLs were a little everywhere 509,505,516,505.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I feel like I could do better if I studied, but I'm not really sure that I want to put in all the time and effort since it's so exhausting to study for this beast of an exam. I would be taking the exam in January if I took it again. I can definitely study for it I feel like.
I don't think you realize how lucky and fortunate you are to have received a 512. You and I have the same average practice FL scores (508). I was within one point of that score which is expected and you scored 4 points higher which is not expected. Definitely do NOT retake.

I don't think you realize how lucky and fortunate you are to have received a 512. You and I have the same average practice FL scores (508). I was within one point of that score which is expected and you scored 4 points higher which is not expected. Definitely do NOT retake.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on the MCAT or the medical school application process (non-trad, ESL, 505- 126/125/127/127)

The more I look at test prep, scoring, and application the more I think of 3 elements: total score, section balance, and perhaps most importantly student's goal. In any case, if the score is 510+ (which is 80th percentile or more in all/most cycles) and it is pretty balanced (with no more than 3-4 points difference between sections) it might not be worth the risk of retaking such an enormous test. If you want to be a doctor (MD or DO) you are nearly guaranteed some interview or seat in dozens of US schools; as long as your GPA, ECs, and LoRs are in order (and no major 'red' flags). The only reason I would retake if I ever get to that point of blessing is if I consistently scored considerably higher on practice, I was targeting ivy league or upper echelon schools, or I'm confident of a 5+ point improvement (it seems to be mostly in the 2-3 points range *up or down* and different schools might view it differently).

If I took my MCAT in May of 2019, would it still be valid at most schools (given the three year rule) if I needed to apply to the 2021-2022 cycle?

Wondering if I need to consider retaking it (hoping not).

If I took my MCAT in May of 2019, would it still be valid at most schools (given the three year rule) if I needed to apply to the 2021-2022 cycle?

Wondering if I need to consider retaking it (hoping not).
There is no such "rule." Every school is different, so you really need to check MSAR for the schools you are applying to. That date will be fine at the vast majority of schools, but a handful won't allow you to go any earlier than September 2019.

There is no such "rule." Every school is different, so you really need to check MSAR for the schools you are applying to. That date will be fine at the vast majority of schools, but a handful won't allow you to go any earlier than September 2019.

The answer I wanted to hear!

I’ll just avoid those schools then assuming I’m applying next cycle as well.

The answer I wanted to hear!

I’ll just avoid those schools then assuming I’m applying next cycle as well.
You'll be fine. They are far and few between. Just make sure to check with MSAR or the school before wasting time or money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake. But in the end it's up to you. It's possible to break 520+ but also a lot of people can end up not improving or doing worse. Only you know your skills to see if you can pull it off with a strong score.

1. 514 (128/129/129/128)
  2. (at time of application) cGPA - 3.83, sGPA - 3.75. U shaped curve, during second semester sophomore year had a death in the family and was overcommitted to extracurriculars. Consistent 3.9/4.0 qGPA junior and senior years (so far)
  3. New Jersey
  4. White
  5. Love high tier MD, Pitt/Duke/Columbia are on my list. If not for these being my target this wouldn't even be a question, but since the
  6. Tutor for like 7 classes, TA for 2, president of interfraternity council with 854 members, business manager of 2 clubs, outreach coordinator for one, research in critical care lab with 2 posters (probably more coming) and a paper with first authorship on the way, 350+hrs of clinical volunteering, I think like 2000+ hrs of non-clinical volunteering (I raise service dogs that go to kids with autism so idk if it'd be fair to count when they stay with me, which is a lot, if you don't its somewhere closer to 500/600). Plan to work as an EMT/research during gap year, looking to potentially do a 6 month abroad volunteering program. Also really really good LOR
  7. It was during early covid so I had nothing else to do. Studied for 6 months, hand-me down NS and Uworld accounts, all AAMC material
  8. I had a 522 average on all the FLs, so I'm pretty convinced I can do better. I'm thinking of taking in March because I haven't had the stomach to put myself back into the test again. Also the test itself hit my weak points which is a lame excuse and doesn't mean anything but it still may have had a role. I remember most stuff so i think 3 months would be sufficient to get me back

Hi everyone. I've applied to mostly MD schools and a few DO (just added) this cycle and haven't heard anything yet. I'm analyzing my app for weaknesses and believe my MCAT could be one of them.
  1. 512 (126, 130, 125, 131)
  2. cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.72 (psych major, went back to take pre-reqs)
  3. Colorado
  4. ORM
  5. I applied to a wide range of MD schools (e.g. Wake, VCU, Tufts, Colorado, Geisinger, etc.). 19 total MDs and 4 DOs (all I could afford).
  6. CNA for nearly 3 years in many departments (ICU, oncology, pre-op/PACU), average to below average volunteering (250+ nonclinical, 100+ clinical), below average shadowing due to Covid (20 hours), nearly 3 years of research (1 poster presentation), good LORs (2 very very good)
  7. It took me a little while to figure out how to study appropriately and I didn't start studying until my pre-reqs were complete so I only had around 2.5 months to study (I averaged 8-10 hour days, 5-6 days a week during that time)
  8. This is where it gets tricky for me. I struggled with anxiety and time management with the C/P and B/B sections. However I was able to answer all the questions. I feel like I could do 1-2 points better on B/B and 1 point better on C/P. I honestly did very light studying for CARS and P/P so I think I could score similarly on those sections. Also should be noted, that the highest practice exam I got was a 509 but I feel I didn't reign in my anxiety literally until test day.
Is a retake worth it to potentially only go up 2-3 points? I'm just wondering how much it is affecting my app that my MCAT is so unbalanced, but I certainly don't want to get a worse score.

1. 514 (128/129/129/128)
  2. (at time of application) cGPA - 3.83, sGPA - 3.75. U shaped curve, during second semester sophomore year had a death in the family and was overcommitted to extracurriculars. Consistent 3.9/4.0 qGPA junior and senior years (so far)
  3. New Jersey
  4. White
  5. Love high tier MD, Pitt/Duke/Columbia are on my list. If not for these being my target this wouldn't even be a question, but since the
  6. Tutor for like 7 classes, TA for 2, president of interfraternity council with 854 members, business manager of 2 clubs, outreach coordinator for one, research in critical care lab with 2 posters (probably more coming) and a paper with first authorship on the way, 350+hrs of clinical volunteering, I think like 2000+ hrs of non-clinical volunteering (I raise service dogs that go to kids with autism so idk if it'd be fair to count when they stay with me, which is a lot, if you don't its somewhere closer to 500/600). Plan to work as an EMT/research during gap year, looking to potentially do a 6 month abroad volunteering program. Also really really good LOR
  7. It was during early covid so I had nothing else to do. Studied for 6 months, hand-me down NS and Uworld accounts, all AAMC material
  8. I had a 522 average on all the FLs, so I'm pretty convinced I can do better. I'm thinking of taking in March because I haven't had the stomach to put myself back into the test again. Also the test itself hit my weak points which is a lame excuse and doesn't mean anything but it still may have had a role. I remember most stuff so i think 3 months would be sufficient to get me back
I see that you said you Love high tier MD, but are you willing to go to schools that are not ranked this high? We would suggest that you apply more broadly. You are clearly very intelligent. Get into the best school you can with the application you have, work hard at that school and match any residency you want!

Hi everyone. I've applied to mostly MD schools and a few DO (just added) this cycle and haven't heard anything yet. I'm analyzing my app for weaknesses and believe my MCAT could be one of them.
  1. 512 (126, 130, 125, 131)
  2. cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.72 (psych major, went back to take pre-reqs)
  3. Colorado
  4. ORM
  5. I applied to a wide range of MD schools (e.g. Wake, VCU, Tufts, Colorado, Geisinger, etc.). 19 total MDs and 4 DOs (all I could afford).
  6. CNA for nearly 3 years in many departments (ICU, oncology, pre-op/PACU), average to below average volunteering (250+ nonclinical, 100+ clinical), below average shadowing due to Covid (20 hours), nearly 3 years of research (1 poster presentation), good LORs (2 very very good)
  7. It took me a little while to figure out how to study appropriately and I didn't start studying until my pre-reqs were complete so I only had around 2.5 months to study (I averaged 8-10 hour days, 5-6 days a week during that time)
  8. This is where it gets tricky for me. I struggled with anxiety and time management with the C/P and B/B sections. However I was able to answer all the questions. I feel like I could do 1-2 points better on B/B and 1 point better on C/P. I honestly did very light studying for CARS and P/P so I think I could score similarly on those sections. Also should be noted, that the highest practice exam I got was a 509 but I feel I didn't reign in my anxiety literally until test day.
Is a retake worth it to potentially only go up 2-3 points? I'm just wondering how much it is affecting my app that my MCAT is so unbalanced, but I certainly don't want to get a worse score.
You're definitely in a tough position and I am sorry to see that you haven't heard anything. I doubt that you MCAT is your weakness in your app. A 512 is a reasonable score. Did you feel like your application was strong? Was it submitted early? Students can get in with a 512, but they usually need other strengths/good positioning. Your GPA is certainly a strength and your MCAT is not a major weakness.

I applied this cycle and have got two interviews early in Sept --> 1WL, 1 unknown. Nothing but R's since. I'm starting to consider re-taking the MCAT because the odds are not looking in my favor currently. I would start studying in Feb and then take it in May while working part time.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 511 (129/124/129/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA 3.90, sGPA: 3.97 (BME Major)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): NC
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Literally any MD school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: ~1,200 clinical, 50 shadowing, 300 volunteering, 600 research (working on pub)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Studied from June-August 2019. I did Kaplan for content review (and KA 300 page P/S document), 3 FL NextStep tests, and AAMC FLs
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? My AAMC FL average was 514, and CARS is my weakest section. My C/P scores were 130-131, CARS: 126-128, B/B: 129-130, P/S: 127-129. C/P is my strongest section, but on test day it was unusually difficult and very Orgo/Phys2 heavy, and I barely finished on time when I usually finish with 15 mins to spare. So I went into CARS with a poor mindset and second guessed myself a lot and I ran out of time. I wasn't able to read the last two passages and completely guessed on 6/7 questions, which I'm sure costed me at least two points.
I think I may buy the CARS section banks and practice those. It doesn't seem worth a retake if I can only improve my CARS section a few points. If I can consistently score a 128 or higher I think it may be worth it. I'm a bit stressed because at face value it seems the MCAT is my weakest application aspect, but it may not merit a retake :/

My opinion is that you shouldn't retake. A 124 in CARS of all sections is not an app-killer with your other stats. Getting that high in all your other sections again isn't a guarantee and getting a couple points in CARS but losing it in other sections would be much worse.

Reactions: 2 users
I had almost an identical score to you when I applied, and I was wondering the same exact thing. It's true that having a 124 in CARS will screen you out of some schools- if you are shooting for T20s and your heart is dead set on T20s, then maybe yo could consider retaking. But you have to be 110% confident you can improve CARS to ~128+ while maintaining the same scores in all the other sections. It's really hard to have this confidence so I'd recommend against a retake.

With your stats, even with a 124 in CARS, you'll have no problem getting interviews as long as you have the extracurriculars and a good school list.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hi all I am not sure if I should retake the MCAT. I got a 517 with the scores breakdown of :
131-> C/P
124-> CARS
130 ->B/B
132 -> P/S
Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my overall score just a little bit concerned about my CARS score.
I have solid ECs, with volunteering, shadowing, leadership, and two research pubs on the way (one being a first author and the other a co-author). I have done poster presentations and worked in two labs and have solid mentors and recommendation letters from mentors and professors.
I also have great grades, with a 3.9 GPA, and a 3.9 sGPA as a biochemistry major. I am not sure if I should retake, and am worried if my CARS score will hurt my overall profile. Just wanted to know what all of you think.
Thanks!
CARS is the one subsection that gets cut the most slack.

Yes, I thought so as well, and my grades in my humanitarian classes have been As too, so hopefully it doesn't affect my application to much or cause potential schools to reject me.
Look, at every MD school in the USA, a 124 CARS is at the 10th%ile.
SOMEBODY has to be in the 10th %ile, so why not you????

A 517 score is nothing to sneeze at.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): first time: 510, 126/128/127/129, second time: 512, 129/128/126/129
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA 3.50, sGPA 3.35. Post bacc 3.9. I had whooping cough my first two years of college and got 4 Cs. I had a 3.5 my junior year and a 4.0 my senior year. I went to a top 5 Ivy.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): DC lol
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): I want to go to Georgetown to be close to home. In general would love top 30-50
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I have 3 pubs on a chronic disease that I discovered I had in high school. I am also a principal investigator on a study I’m currently running at my undergrad school.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: my second time taking the MCAT was canceled mid test because of the insurrection. I had to travel 3 hours OOS to take it again and it was a nightmare.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I majored in bio and am disappointed by the 126. I was averaging 130-132 on full lengths on that section.

I applied this cycle and have got two interviews early in Sept --> 1WL, 1 unknown. Nothing but R's since. I'm starting to consider re-taking the MCAT because the odds are not looking in my favor currently. I would start studying in Feb and then take it in May while working part time.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 511 (129/124/129/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA 3.90, sGPA: 3.97 (BME Major)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): NC
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Literally any MD school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: ~1,200 clinical, 50 shadowing, 300 volunteering, 600 research (working on pub)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Studied from June-August 2019. I did Kaplan for content review (and KA 300 page P/S document), 3 FL NextStep tests, and AAMC FLs
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? My AAMC FL average was 514, and CARS is my weakest section. My C/P scores were 130-131, CARS: 126-128, B/B: 129-130, P/S: 127-129. C/P is my strongest section, but on test day it was unusually difficult and very Orgo/Phys2 heavy, and I barely finished on time when I usually finish with 15 mins to spare. So I went into CARS with a poor mindset and second guessed myself a lot and I ran out of time. I wasn't able to read the last two passages and completely guessed on 6/7 questions, which I'm sure costed me at least two points.
I think I may buy the CARS section banks and practice those. It doesn't seem worth a retake if I can only improve my CARS section a few points. If I can consistently score a 128 or higher I think it may be worth it. I'm a bit stressed because at face value it seems the MCAT is my weakest application aspect, but it may not merit a retake :/
You have a lot of good information here. I need to know more about why you weren't successful this round. It's possible it's the MCAT but it also could've been weak essays. Otherwise you have pretty good GPA and ECs to make up for a poor CARS section. I actually was in a similar boat to you at some point as far as MCAT goes. I always had strong science sections but my CARS was weak. I worked endlessly to improve CARS and surprised myself when I increased it from 125 to 130. It's doable but I'm not so certain a 124 CARS would be the only reason you weren't successful this round.

Whenever people ask this question do they think that if someone says "yes, retake it" that they will automatically score 10 points higher lol?

You already have two scores that look similar, if you think you can get a 528, then yeah retake it by all means.

There are so many schools around DC area that you can apply to with your stats. It will be an uphill battle for sure, but it’s better than receiving an even lower score on your third take...

Also, have you considered DO?

I agree, don’t retake this. A 3 point gain assuming you maintain all of your other subsection scores won’t significantly improve your application given it will be your third attempt. You have two scores that are straddling the mean for accepted MD students. Time to focus on polishing other parts of your application.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): first time: 510, 126/128/127/129, second time: 512, 129/128/126/129
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA 3.50, sGPA 3.35. Post bacc 3.9. I had whooping cough my first two years of college and got 4 Cs. I had a 3.5 my junior year and a 4.0 my senior year. I went to a top 5 Ivy.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): DC lol
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): I want to go to Georgetown to be close to home. In general would love top 30-50
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I have 3 pubs on a chronic disease that I discovered I had in high school. I am also a principal investigator on a study I’m currently running at my undergrad school.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: my second time taking the MCAT was canceled mid test because of the insurrection. I had to travel 3 hours OOS to take it again and it was a nightmare.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I majored in bio and am disappointed by the 126. I was averaging 130-132 on full lengths on that section.
Nahh, I wouldn't retake. It is not a terrible score, everything is above average or greater, and unless you think you can cleanly clear 520 it probably is a lateral move at best and hurts your app otherwise. Maybe take a practice test and see if you can get that 520, if you end up in the same 512-515 range it is probably not worth the time and effort and expenses when you can just apply broadly to MD/DO.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

GPA: 3.79 (upward trend, 4.0 last 3 semesters w/ a couple graduate courses)
SGPA: 3.7
degrees: biology, behavioral psychology
graduated this past spring!
MCAT: 510 (129/127/126/128) .. brb returning my degrees
Clinical: 3000+ hours ED scribe (was there all through covid if that means anything lol)
Volunteer: (currently: 100 LTCF, 100 medical device, 50 social work)
these will all be 200+ if counting prospective bc they were cut off for a time period due to covid or limited bc covid, & bc I have extra time now!... im still confused on counting prospective hours but I will at least have ~50 more by June.
Research: (30 sociology lab, 30 medical device lab for credit, 100+ in psych lab currently on hold bc covid but starting again next week)
shadowing: only a few virtual shadowing hours... probably will have 15 by june
other: one UG org ~ 100 hrs, 300 hrs bar tender
LORS: will be fairly standard or meh. none will be spectacular
edit : ORM

WHY RETAKE? ( tested 1/21, would retest in April bc content is fresh)

• First time my FL range was 510-516 w/ 510 being the sample that I took after minimal content review to get a grasp at where I was at....BUT my exam got cancelled in beginning of September
  • Second round of AAMC FLs + a NS were 522, 511, 515, 517, 517, 523 (avg 517 )...... ( I also know what went wrong: slept 3 hours for 3 days before exam and could barely stay awake during especially during BB)
  • super score avg of all subsections from all FLs both rounds is like 515/6
  • accepted MD MCAT avg is now almost a 512 (higher for ORM & not sure if carribs are included in this #)... and my BB score is in the bottom 10th % at most schools. apparently BB is the most important subsection as well. I wont be "screened out" but I think my 126 will hurt me..
  • rest of my application is mediocre or fairly weak
  • im obviously upset with that score and have plenty of motivation to go kick ass

Here was my school list created pre-MCAT anticipating around 515 lol: (SAD bc i liked this list and also wasnt super interested in DO)
Iowa, OSU, wisco U, MC wisconsin, U Minnesota, Creighton, Boston, UCLA, san diego, Baylor, Loyola, Pittsburgh, Emory, Dartmouth, Michigan state, Albany, SUNY upstate & downstate, Duke, Tufts, UC Davis, Georgetown, OHSU, U colorado, albert einstein, Rutgers

Last edited:
Don’t retake a 510, especially when your scores are all well-rounded. Work on boosting your EC’s and PS.

Don’t retake a 510, especially when your scores are all well-rounded. Work on boosting your EC’s and PS.
is a 126 "well rounded" though? That was 4 points below my FL avg for that subsection.. I guess I would be less concerned if it were CARS and not BB because it puts me in the bottom percentile everywhere.

edit: also what would you recommend I do to boost my ECs Ik I need more hours but I am on track to get those over the next year.. currently doing a minimum of 10 hours a week.

Last edited:
There is a potential benefit in retaking- something like a 515+ will help your chances at admission. With that being said, you have to be absolutely confident you can score a 515+ because a similar score or lower will hurt your application. After weighing that risk, you need to consider if you're willing to put in the time and potentially delay applying in order to risk possibly getting a better score.

You have a good enough application already- your GPA and MCAT lie right in the accepted averages. Apply broadly and you should be fine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

There is a potential benefit in retaking- something like a 515+ will help your chances at admission. With that being said, you have to be absolutely confident you can score a 515+ because a similar score or lower will hurt your application. After weighing that risk, you need to consider if you're willing to put in the time and potentially delay applying in order to risk possibly getting a better score.

You have a good enough application already- your GPA and MCAT lie right in the accepted averages. Apply broadly and you should be fine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you! so the 126 in BB isnt going too much of a limiting factor? (IK Ill have to adjust my school list a bit :/)

Thank you! so the 126 in BB isnt going too much of a limiting factor? (IK Ill have to adjust my school list a bit :/)
There are schools out there that will filter students out based on their MCAT score, but I've never heard of that filter ever being above 125 (as in, receiving a 125 or lower in any subsection will automatically filter you out of some school). You should be fine with the 126 in B/B.

There are schools out there that will filter students out based on their MCAT score, but I've never heard of that filter ever being above 125 (as in, receiving a 125 or lower in any subsection will automatically filter you out of some school). You should be fine with the 126 in B/B.
I read on SDN some schools do filter on CARS but I don't remember the names. Best is to check MSAR sub-section percentiles for schools interested.

I read on SDN some schools do filter on CARS but I don't remember the names. Best is to check MSAR sub-section percentiles for schools interested.
I did! I mentioned in my OP that my score is the bottom 10th percentile for many/ most schools (even those that are fit mcat/gpa combo) which is why I am concerned. A lower CARs or CP seem to be less "problematic" than BB, likely bc BB is the most corelated with the step scores per AAMC.

I got 507 on my first attempt last year and just came to know that I got 511 on 1/21 test. That was much lower than I expected. I am from a top 20 university with a prestigious pre-med program. I am graduating (double major) with honors this year with GPA close to 3.9. I will have to take gap year anyway, but I need to apply for this May cycle. I have AEMT certification and lot of clinical and volunteer hours. I have research experience with one published paper in a medical journal. I am a Texas resident, but studying out of state.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on these questions.

- Should I retake MCAT in March? I have a test anxiety, so my test scores vary wildly depending on the day from 508 to 523. Is there a major disadvantage in case I get lesser than 511?

- Is taking MCAT 3 times viewed negatively by medical schools? Will they take the best of the 3 scores or consider all of them?

- Some colleges say that they don't even look at the application if MCAT score is less than a certain score. Can we find this through MSAR? If they don't specify that, do you think that I have a shot because rest of my application including recommendations are very good?

- Any specific advice on Texas schools? I am an Asian. Is 511 too low to get into MD? My dream schools like Baylor and SouthWestern are too far to reach now.

Thanks a lot in advance. I am tensed and scared. Any good advice will immensely help me.

- Should I retake MCAT in March? I have a test anxiety, so my test scores vary wildly depending on the day from 508 to 523. Is there a major disadvantage in case I get lesser than 511?
I would not pursue a 3rd attempt. You did what fever than 25% of test takers with your original score which is to increase by 2 or more points on the second attempt. A 511 puts you at the middle of the pack. A 3rd attempt so close to the others looks like poor judgement and the reliability of the score goes down. Your test anxiety also is a big blinking yellow light that says really think carefully before testing again. Another score of 511-515 likely won’t help, a score below 511 will hurt your app significantly.

- Is taking MCAT 3 times viewed negatively by medical schools? Will they take the best of the 3 scores or consider all of them?
Its not considered favorably particularly within such a short timeframe - you’re talking about two attempts within 3 months of each other and 3 attempts in 12 months. It doesn’t look great.

- Some colleges say that they don't even look at the application if MCAT score is less than a certain score. Can we find this through MSAR? If they don't specify that, do you think that I have a shot because rest of my application including recommendations are very good?
Those are on school specific websites - the score cutoffs are usually in the 500-505 range, rarely above that, or for subsection scores of 125. Your score is fine for both hurdles.

- Any specific advice on Texas schools? I am an Asian. Is 511 too low to get into MD? My dream schools like Baylor and SouthWestern are too far to reach now.
to be sure, your MCAT score is not going to hold you back but your app will rely on other factors to pull you up. I fail to see how a 3rd attempt will drastically change this dynamic.

-I am from a top 20 university with a prestigious pre-med program. I am graduating (double major) with honors this year with GPA close to 3.9.
These are strong factors in the rest of your app and do not support pursuing a 3rd attempt.

Given what you've said regarding test anxiety, do not retake that 511. It's solid enough that you will have a good shot at securing a MD acceptance.

It will probably knock you out of contention for T20s if you're ORM and don't have any other X-factors in your app. However, you would likely have to break into the 517+ range for that given you've taken it twice already. The risk to reward for that is definitely not worth it. It would be catastrophic for your application if your 3rd retake is around/lower than your current score.

I agree with the others on here with airing on the side of caution. You have pointed out what you think went wrong on the day of your test (lack of sleep), but will you be able to ensure that that same problem will not happen? Additionally, how many of those FL exams did you take the first go around? Because even if you didn't consciously realize that you remembered those answers you had already seen those questions (and hopefully if you reviewed properly) those answers, which makes me a little nervous about those second round of FLs (especially with the 511).

That being said you know yourself best. If you are confident that you really have retained that information, and certain you can pull above a 515, then I would suggest trying to find a FL that you haven't seen before and taking it as a guide.

I was in a similar boat as you and got a 510 on my first MCAT (due to some issues that occurred while I was testing), and I recognized that I could do better. I brought up my score to a 516 (improving my worst section by 5 points), but I had time between the two tests and made sure I was taking FLs that I hadn't seen previously (basically trying to ensure that I really was doing better).

I'd say that making sure you have adequate in person shadowing either completed or lined up that you can list on your application (you can look in the other forums, many of the adcoms on here will dissuade you from listing the virtual shadowing), as well as improving the non-clinical volunteering hours (social work is great, as is the LTCF - though it may be more clinical depending on what you do there) are equally important in how schools consider you.