should I take full time scribe job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUCKTOR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing my freshman year and NEED to leave my hell of a retail job. I've been applying specifically to scribe jobs since January and finally got an offer. The only thing worrisome is that it is a full-time position. Do you think it would be possible to be in school full-time, work full-time, and still be actively involved on campus (ex. student gov., clubs, events, greek life, volunteering)? Have you done it? At the moment, money is not priority so it would be just for the exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've seen someone work 32hrs+school. You would have to decide between sleep and other extracurriculars

Reactions: 1 users
I think it goes from person to person and how much they need to spend studying, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Maintaining a good GPA should be your focus right now. If you are confident in your study habits give it a shot, but should your GPA start suffering try to cut back to part-time or quit. GPA can be very hard to repair once it's been damaged.

Having said that, you're a freshman going on a sophomore, don't overwhelm yourself. I know it's worrying to think you may not be doing enough but it's far easier and less costly to try and bulk up your EC's with a gap year than trying to do some GPA repair. If your grades start suffering, drop something. And if money is not a big deal the first thing to drop would be the job that you don't need.

To be honest if you can maintain work full-time, school full-time along with several EC's, I would be very much surprised. Do all of that for long enough and something is going to start to slip. You're early in your college career, I'd relax a bit. Do well in school right now and try to find a couple/few EC's that you enjoy (both clinical and non-clinical). At least that would be my advice but to each their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Misery loves company and you seem to be trying to be its best friend. Don't do everything. Do some things you love and stick to them.

It would be much easier if you took a gap year after graduation to scribe instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Working full-time, when you don't have to, is a mistake. There are only so many hours in a day, and inevitably you will sacrifice studying, research and/or volunteering hours - not to mentioned time spend socializing, relaxing and sleeping. Look around for part time clinical jobs, but there's no rush, and if you cannot find one right now, don't worry about it. They're helpful, but certainly not as important as GPA, MCAT, research and volunteering.

You remember that square, the one that says “Good GPA, social life, sleep, extracurriculars, Choose 3”? Yeah, that’s what you’re looking at right now. If you choose the full time job, you would have to choose between EC’s, sleep, or a social life. For me personally, working part time as a scribe while taking grad courses, I chose EC’s —> my lab work. I do not get sleep, and I have not socialized in 4 months. Oh, and my GPA sucks too.

Good luck.

It can be done, I did it, but only because 1) most of my classes either had optional attendance so I only had to show up a couple times a semester or were online, 2) my job was flexible enough that when I did need to go to class I was able to work around it, 3) my ECs were flexible enough that I could schedule it when I wanted to (ie no weekly meetings). Would I recommend it? No.

Thanks everyone... I think you all just knocked some sense back into me, so I appreciate the honesty. I'm going to hold off on it.

Thanks everyone... I think you all just knocked some sense back into me, so I appreciate the honesty. I'm going to hold off on it.
Scribing-part time might be doable. I wouldn't go over 15 hours a week during the school-year, though, especially if you have other commitments.

Currently scribe full-time time and cannot imagine doing more than maybe 2 easier classes and a weekly volunteer gig at most on top of work. Campus jobs like tutoring are nice and you make much more money per work you put in compared to scribing.

The best part about scribing is that it combines clinical+shadowing+employment ($)