Should I take more science classes or complete the music minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dontistwannabe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I want to ask the wise SDNers about something as I have a question about sGPA vs. Minor completion priority. My sGPA as I am heading senior year this Fall is in the 3.2 range. I am thinking of applying to dental school right after my senior year, so I have to plan out my senior year schedule pretty carefully. Currently, I still have to take 3 more music classes to complete my minor in music (I am a bio major btw). So my question is, should I not take the 3 music classes in my senior year but replace those classes with more BCP classes to improve my sGPA or should I complete my minor as I graduate to stand out amongst the applicants? Would minoring in music makes me truly stand out? (other than having an interesting conversation at the interviews) If I end up not pursuing in music minor anymore, would the admission committee question my transcript as I have taken considerable amount of music classes beside my major classes? Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
 
While being a music minor will inevitably showcase your interest and talent, schools also want to see a good performance in science pre-reqs. A 3.2 sGPA is not unsalvageable, but not favorable, either. They certainly won't look down on you for taking lots of music classes (undergrad is the best time to branch out as much as you can!) but they will notice those pre-req grades. Is it possible to fit in one or two science courses and still complete your minor?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@confidentandgood @doc toothache oh icic i mean the thing is I am going to be taking anatomy and biostats in the fall and physiology and physics II in the spring so I tried to substitute rest of my schedules with the music classes. My question is, should I even replace those music classes with science classes to give an extra boost or continue on with the minor? lol
 
On the application there isn't anywhere that you state your minor. So as far as schools know all they can see is that you took a lot of music classes. I'd go the science route and increasing your chances at dental school.
 
After struggling with the same question, I ended up dropping my music minor in my final year of undergrad in favor of taking a few more science courses and participating in research. I don't regret it at all! I just finished up my D1 year, and the "optional" science courses I took definitely helped me out.
 
@confidentandgood @doc toothache oh icic i mean the thing is I am going to be taking anatomy and biostats in the fall and physiology and physics II in the spring so I tried to substitute rest of my schedules with the music classes. My question is, should I even replace those music classes with science classes to give an extra boost or continue on with the minor? lol

Do you plan on making A- or higher in those science courses? Like I said, there's nothing wrong with having musical interests, but that science GPA is going to be way more important to adcoms.