Should I worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonpalnile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hell all,

I go to a DO school - MSU. I am doing a research year so the class that I started with is actually one year ahead of me. I liked most of the people in my original class but I think that there are like ~6 people from my original class that I didn't get along with very well. I am interested in applying to FM in the midwest.

I am worried that if I apply to a place that one of these students is working as an FM resident, they might say something negative about me to the PD. Let's say that 3-4 of these students actually end up doing FM. Would that have a drastic impact on the number of places that I could apply to?

There seem to be a lot of FM residencies in the mid west that have taken students with average grades/boards from my school. So should this be a concern?

Thanks.

Edit: Lets say that the main thing we didn't "get along" in was a group project that I was late for due to personal reasons (that were excused by the university). And most of the ppl in my group were fine with it except like 3 of them. Hypothetically, if those 3 decide to end up doing FM in Michigan, would that have a drastic affect on my residency apps if I want to do residency in the Michigan/Ohio area?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Not getting along with someone" shouldn't indicate they're going to say something bad about you to the PD... Unless you did something really, really bad? Just bake them cookies and get say sorry if you did. Otherwise apply widely and don't worry about it because FM residencies are all over. Go elsewhere. If they're there why do you want to follow them anyways if you really had such bad interactions with them?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything you can do to mend fences with these students? If not then it's really out of your control anyway and not worth worrying about. I would imagine unless you did something truly terrible to them they're not going to go out of their way to try and ruin your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Not getting along with someone" shouldn't indicate they're going to say something bad about you to the PD... Unless you did something really, really bad? Just bake them cookies and get say sorry if you did. Otherwise apply widely and don't worry about it because FM residencies are all over. Go elsewhere. If they're there why do you want to follow them anyways if you really had such bad interactions with them?

The interactions with them were not "very bad" at all. Just mild things but I think this could lead to slightly negative comments if the PD were to ask them about me.

I think the bigger issue is why would you take a research year if you are wanting FM in the midwest???

Reactions: 12 users
Even if they cared enough to talk to the PD, that is only 3-4 FM programs you are blacklisted at. There are hundreds in the Midwest you can apply to.

They definitely could care less i bet by the time theyre in residency. This sounds like middle school stuff lol move on you're fine. FM is not competitive at all and if you do decide to do GS in CA they wouldn't even be there

I wasn't originally set of FM and there was a chance I might have wanted to do surg in California.

Either way, you should be trying to get that changed ASAP so you aren’t missing out on another year of attending income on top of adding another year to your tuition debt.. plenty of opportunity to write case reports or do other things in their and fourth year to pad your CV for a gen surg residency spot